Retired Teachers

Hope it's ok if I post a question here!

>

Munchkins

Hope it's ok if I post a question here!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!

I've decided to retire from the public school I work at and most likely (after we visit the area in April we will make our final decision) take a Kdgn. job at the Catholic School my former amazing P works at. Regardless, I know I can't do another year at the public school, and our financial planner said we're fine and gave his blessing to retire, so this is it!!!

Here's my question- did you tell your P right away once you made your decision, and if you did, did your stress go away? I'm leaning towards just letting him know, and then I can just enjoy the countdown!

Thanks! I hope I'm ok being here, since I'm going to teach somewhere else after I retire!

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Retirement
Old 02-18-2019, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are fine in posting here! After all, you ARE retiring - from public school. There are many of us who have retired from our teaching positions and have gone on to other educational types of activities - paid and/or not.

I retired after 37 years. The first year I volunteered at the after-school program and last year I helped my previous colleague in her math class as they had adopted a new math program and she had a need for help. This year the district hired me to do one-on-one testing with sped students.

Sure, I'm a teacher, I still show up at school, I work with students, but on my terms. Sounds like you are doing something similar.

I told my principal before Jan 31 in order to receive $2000 for letting them know early. I did tell my closest colleagues first, though. Then, I celebrated my lasts!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I told mine early second semester
Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was going to wait till spring. But the numbers had already been projected by the district for one less teacher at our grade level for the next year. Low woman on the totem poll on my team was worried she would be transferred or moved to another grade level at our school.

I could not allow her to worry and everyone else start trying to work out what would happen to her. If I was retiring, which I was, that issue would be resolved. Done. I told them early.

I was so relieved when I told them. I asked for the news not to be shared with the whole school. I just did not want to talk about it all the time. The secret was well kept until April.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Timing
Old 02-19-2019, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm an advocate of telling the principal as late as possible. Once people know you are retiring, things are different.

I retired Jan. 1st and informed the principal and HR on Nov. 1st. If I had retired in June, I would have notified on April 1st. That is the day that HR requires notification so teachers can get the maximum amount of payout for unused sick leave.

I got some weird comments from staff members when they found out I was leaving. I wish I had told the principal first and let teachers know much later.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2019, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I value all your opinions. Part of my (my impulsive part) wants to just tell and get it over with. But it makes sense to wait a bit and enjoy my lasts privately, and also start gathering my personal materials without anyone watching over my shoulder or eyeing all my good stuff!

BTW, Ive been looking closely at the Catholic school FB page, and the class sizes are about 14!!! It really will be my dream job, and so much less stress than what my public school has become. Cant believe weve reached this stage of life! Thank you for your help!

DSLBUG

Old 02-19-2019, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Congratulations! There is a lot of retirement paperwork to be completed in my state. Be sure to allow enough time to get it finished.
DSLBUG is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tell now or later
Old 02-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think it depends upon your school/district climate and your own personality.

In my district, most people announced it on day one!! A few, more private chose to wait til Spring.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Pension appointment
Old 02-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just moved up my pension one on one appointment to a week from today so Id be sure to give myself enough time. Ill wait at least until after that.

I still feel like Im dreaming!!!

anna

Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I told my principal 3 months before I retired and he appreciated the advanced notice. The staff did not know until 2 weeks before I left . I still had unannounced walk throughs as this is the style of management dictated to the principals by the superintendent. Unlike your situation,the stress was not there for me so after telling the principal,I was just glad to have gotten that conversation out of the way.

I'm happy things are looking up for you
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I decided to retire right before Thanksgiving. I told my P soon after. Mainly because of the people that were graduating in December. That would kind of give her first choice. There were several others in that system getting ready to retire at the end of the year, but were not going to tell anyone until they had to (April? maybe).

fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachlorraine

Old 02-19-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Once I decided in early November that I'd had enough of the stupidity after a totally ridiculous meeting with the department AP, I told everyone and anyone starting with fellow teachers and let the news just filter its way up to the principal(s)

Sure it was kinda spineless but I was dreading telling the administration, so I just let the teacher student/parent grapevine do the dirty work for me. That indirect (OK ...chicken) method actually worked out great for me.

First the AP came to me and said he had heard I was gonna retire. I said maybe.. He said "What about the kids?" I said they'll live. Then he kinda threatened me (contract). This was just the extra incentive I needed to finally pull the retirement plug. Once I pointed out that I was in fact retiring and didn't really care and was gong to do it on my terms, the principal then begged me to finish the year. I said I couldn't due to family issues. OK...then at least the semester --until winter break? I said maybe....I do have some sick days I need to use. How about at least until we find your replacement, he asked.

The conversation went from threatening to begging in less than 2 minutes

The whole thing reminded me of that Seinfeld episode when Kramer threatens to break up with his GF and winds up begging her not to leave him - which made me laugh because I always thought that show perfectly summed up my life.

Soon the admin settled down and it actually turned out that I needed one more month for penalty-free full pension; so good thing I stuck around a bit longer and everything worked out. That last month was the best. During the winter break they found a person right out of college to replace me. Nice kid, good teacher and eager to have a job. He taught my class as a sub while I just hung out as he taught. For 2 weeks, I went home early everyday (for once in my career) after which I turned in my laptop, ID and gave my room key to the new guy. I then used my surplus sick days for 2 weeks and I quietly walked out the back door and went home -- never to return.

Like the Lone Ranger...no fanfare, no parties no cards, no gifts, no tears, no goodbyes, no apologies as I rode off in the sunset of blissful retirement!

Last edited by teachlorraine; 02-19-2019 at 05:59 PM..
teachlorraine is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Old 02-19-2019, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I told my principal in January of my final year, largely because she was discussing some big mentoring project she wanted me to take on and I also had a younger teacher beginning to chew her nails over whether she'd have a job. But my principal kept it quiet and let ME tell the others as I chose to. I appreciated that since I felt it was MY decision to share in my own way. Glad she did it that way.

In one way, I was happy to be let "off the hook" for some of the long-range planning, professional development, class placements, etc. I still kept my hand in most of it until the very end, however. I really enjoyed my final six months as a result.
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

When to tell
Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I told my principal at the beginning of the school year that I was retiring at the end of the year. She let me get out of several meetings for a new program that would start the next year. I had one nosy assistant that kept asking me the year before when I was going to retire. My principal actually went with me to a retirement meeting in another town, but is still working at another school as far as I know. I have never been able to keep secrets and I knew for sure I had my time in (32) years and I was ready to go! I knew I would make almost as much retired as I did working so it was a no brainer. I subbed and did interims for 6 years and came out ahead. I am now fully retired and love it!
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I let my principal know early...
Old 02-19-2019, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I retired last June and put my letter of resignation in October. I was so glad I did. I loved knowing that each requirement and observation was my last, and while I didn't formally tell my class till much later, it was nice to enjoy the time left with colleagues and say goodbyes gradually. I had other colleagues who announced much later. We did receive a larger bonus for sick time if we announced by February 1st, and I had one friend who waited till nearly that date. I wouldn't say my stress totally went away because things were still due (why a documentation log would be required for a retiring teacher is beyond me), but I did personally feel better knowing this was it.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 02-19-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Once I gave official notice the atmosphere in my mind immediately changed. I felt like I went from chaos to a tropical island paradise. It was probably in the top 3 of the happiest days of my life. Ok, I wont lie, it was the happiest day of my life!

I gave notice sooner than I had planned in order to save someone from being laid off.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We are given a $3,500 "bonus" if we inform hr by Dec. 1 of an end of year retirement. Shortly after turning those papers in, I went in and told the principal, as hr would have informed her anyway. It was great- because she quit her harassing for the rest of the year, and basically ignored me.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote