Help

Retired Teachers

advice for presents for Grandkids

>

rusty

advice for presents for Grandkids
Old 02-22-2019, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My grandkids (ages 2 and 6) have sooooo many toys and tons of uncles and aunts buying them presents and clothes, etc. I want to give them something for birthdays and holidays that's a little more substantial for the future. They won't need money for college as both parents work for a university and they'll get free educations some day. I've bought a few savings bonds, but they're not making very much interest....not like the old ones I got from my parents. Do any of you have any ideas for me? I've never bought any stocks....how would I go about doing that? Any suggestions as to what to invest in? I'd be willing to spend 100 dollars a month for each of them. Thanks in advance for any advice.

rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Grands
Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about a 529 plan? They may not want to attend the school where parents work. If they do, could be used for books or housing. Most university employees only get comped tuition. Savings bonds are all done on line now. I have purchased a few for each but I think the 529 is better tax wise. Other than that, I would say experiences. I love planning a day with each grandchild at a local zoo, aquarium or museum. My second to youngest (3) loves the Boston museum of fine arts! As they get older, I’ll plan trips to New York or Boston for plays and other museums. If they would rather go to an amusement park or beach, what a fun way to get to know them individually.
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 02-22-2019, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

An idea that I first heard of here ....

We started a savings account for my grandkids. Itís called their travel fund and everyone in the family puts money in it for birthdays and Christmas. They get it when they graduate from high school and can use it to go on a great graduation trip.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote