Help

Retired Teachers

Getting old?

>

amiga13

Getting old?
Old 02-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

1. The excellent nonfiction book Iím listening to used Jurassic Park and D-Day in the same sentence as comparisons. The author thought weíd get Jurassic Park was techy but felt we needed an explanation that D-Day was an all-out attack. Boy, do people not know D-Day anymore?

2. Iíve always been very trusting. I listened to the podcasts Dirty John and Dr Death and now Iím listening to a book about a failed startup in Silicon Valley. Now Iím wondering if trust is no longer a good starting place.

3. On the other hand, Iím 67 and get compliments all over the place (my trainer, my dentist, the worker holding the stop sign on the street) for my fitness. I think they expect 67 to be decrepit.

Are you getting old?

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 02-23-2019, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm getting old but am lucky enough to not feel old.

Last edited by Renea; 02-24-2019 at 03:15 AM..
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Getting Older
Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm 61 and don't feel old. I go to boot camp at the gym three times a week and Zumba another day or two. I rarely get sick and have a lot of energy. I feel quite young.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-24-2019, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will soon be 62 and donít feel old either. I think staying active and having a growth mindset are huge. And.... coloring my hair . I know many of you embrace your gray hair, but I am not ready to do that......yet
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Growing old
Old 02-24-2019, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Still teaching at 76.
Retiring in June, then I will grow...?

Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-24-2019, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Some days I feel old, and some days I feel like Iím hanging in there pretty well. Overall, I think Iím pretty healthy and stay current on clothes, makeup, etc. Iím okay with where I am, and Iím thankful every day that I was able to retire early.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Nope...
Old 02-24-2019, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I still go to the gym and take spin classes with some pretty challenging instructors. I started run/walking in my 50's and completed 5 half marathons, a few 10Ks and many 5Ks. I still participate in 5Ks, although I cut back due to the expense an my new-found love of spin.

I go on at least one long road trip a year. We did some hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and along the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are busy sightseeing pretty much every day we are away, unless it's a driving day.

I do feel old when I don't see a need for some of the newer technology. I don't use Alexa or Siri, and my TV, which I rarely watch, is not a flat screen. I also have a small 13 inch TV upstairs in the bedroom that has to be close to 30 years old. I think I got my money's worth there!

I think 60 is the new 30! I will be 65 in July.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Old age not for me
Old 02-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Honestly, at 63 I feel younger than when I worked. We work out daily, even on vacation and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Lots of vegetarian meals, plenty of organic foods, and no drugs other than my allergy meds.
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 02-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was feeling old then went to a new doctor. She was excellent and appeared to be maybe 60. I looked her up online and sheís 81!

I donít think I will complain to her about age related things anymore.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 02-25-2019, 11:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Getting old has a whole new meaning after this week.

Iíve spent time with...

Peg, 95, who is as quick as a whip and eats a filet every night.

Rose, upper 80ís, who walked from the other side of town to do jewelry shopping for her sisters. She was having lunch with an older gentleman that I know and they were talking like they were teenagers. They had met the day before at the hotel cafe!

Elizabeth, 91, was born in Hungary and had homes in Canada and Hawaii. She was married 3 times. She walked with a spring to her step and was confident and independent.

These women are amazing and made me rethink what aging means.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

wildflowerz
Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I can relate to wildflowerz' experience. In the past couple of months I have met two octogenarians and one nonagenarian who are as spry and as sharp as any healthy 40-year old. All three are scientists and professors emeritus/emerita and are also still athletic.

The 87-year old man still runs marathons, the 88-year old woman looks like she is in her early 60s, does Zumba and still swims 3 miles in the (cccold) ocean every day, and the 96-year old woman still walks to the store, cooks for herself and has a vegetable garden.

My next door neighbor Sue is 87 and still drives, plays doubles tennis and walks 7 miles twice a week. I caught her on a ladder the other day clearing leaves out of her gutters. Her neighbor is a year older (they went to high school together!) and rides his bike up our big hill every day come rain or shine, and puts in about 15 miles a day.

All five of these "old" people are my role models for how to live life to the fullest.

ETA: all five people live independently and by themselves.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote