Retired Teachers

retirement life- getting things done

>

EdfromBama

retirement life- getting things done
Old 02-27-2019, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning to all-
Before I retired, I never knew how much time I would have to do things that I wanted to do once I had laid my burden down.

Yesterday, I planted potatoes in the garden, picked broccoli, cooked steaks, went fishing a couple of times, took a nap, scratched small dogs, walked the pig a couple of times, and finished an article to sell.
I also packed for a three day fishing trip to Panama City Beach, Florida- someone else is paying for that, too.

Oh, and FlyFishGuy- I took my little 4 weight rod to the local bream pond and caught some massive- dinner plate size- bluegills on small poppers I tied this winter. Lots of fun before the rain came in.

Retirement life is very good.

Good day to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Edfrombama
Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Donít ever stop posting your mini travelogues! I so enjoy hearing about your day/days.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 02-27-2019, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do enjoy my days. I like hearing about your trips. I like your stories about your sonís first teaching days. I live in the Phoenix area.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Your stories
Old 02-27-2019, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Make living in the South somewhere down a country road come alive for me. Thank you! It's a part of our country that I don't know very well, but when I read what you write, I can imagine being there.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: living in the South
Old 02-27-2019, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good evening to all-
Well, I'm all packed and loaded and ready to head out in the morning for my fishing trip.

Right now on the Gulf Coast it's Mardi Gras season. Many folks don't know that Mardi Gras and the parades and secret societies started in Mobile, Alabama- not New Orleans. And the parades and societies were done in response to the Federal occupation after the "War of Northern Aggression" was concluded. Every little town down here has its Mardi Gras parade, and the day after the parades, you can't see the small children at school underneath all of their beads and bangles that they collected at the parades. It's actually a bit of fun to go and stand in line as the parade floats pass by and holler to the folks on the float to "throw me something, Mister!"

The birds that spent the winter here are starting to migrate back north now. We've been feeding many, many goldfinches and house finches this winter, but they are thinning out in number. We still have a few robins left, but when they all leave, it's beyond doubt spring on the Coast. I am looking forward to the first hummingbirds that will arrive shortly.

But mostly the breezes from the south have a warm, soft, gentle aspect to them which lifts any thoughts of ice, snow, and frozen roads completely away form my mind. The sun gets stronger and warmer every day.

And the potatoes are all planted, the tomatoes are starting to grow, and the first planting of green beans will be up next week.

It's a good time to be living down here in the Southland.

good night to all- Ed

FlyfishGuy

Old 02-27-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ed- All of your day's activities sound great from this wind-chilled vantage point. Glad to hear the 4 wt works. The closest I got to live fish lately was watching my wife's guppy have babies and rescuing them...and she made sure the Facebook world heard about it. I was almost celebrity went I went out in public today.

And I have got to figure out how to get fishing trips paid for like you do. Maybe you can clue me in some day. Enjoy the trip.
FlyfishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

FFG- re: other folks paying
Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

FFG- It's actually pretty easy- start writing articles and shooting good photos for publication, once the magazines start paying for your stuff, the free trips start rolling in. I've been to the Keys, Louisiana, Wisconsin, the Smoky Mountains, and lots of places along the Gulf Coast, and someone else carried the bill for the trips.
Actually, writing magazine articles and books about fishing is a good way to use all of those grammar and composition rules I tried to teach my students all of those years.
Getting ready to hop in the old white truck and head east.
Good day to all- Ed