Help

Retired Teachers

Growing Out Gray

>

annie_g

Growing Out Gray
Old 02-23-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím tired of coloring my hair. Itís been 2 months and I have a pretty good line between my salt and pepper and dyed bronzey brown hair. I think Iím just going to suck it up and let it grow out. Iíve been looking at ways to transition without the line. My hair is shoulder length. I donít really want to go shorter. Anyone done this and have any advice?

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

Me too
Old 02-23-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just got mine trimmed another 2 inches. Stylist said maybe 1 to 2 trims more and all the old color will be gone. I can't wait. But so glad I got off the coloring rollercoaster. It was so expensive, took hours, and seemed to only last about 2 weeks before roots had to be redone.

As I look around though lots of people seem to have colorful hair or hair in transition.

Advice...be yourself...buy some cool new clothes and rock your transitioning hair...you are saving so much money and time...

Best thing is my hair is softer and feels so much better without all those chemicals.
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Of course, the easiest thing is to do nothing at all! I did have very short hair for a long time. Sometimes tempted to do that, but I like the length my hair is now.

ConnieWI

Just a Question...
Old 02-24-2019, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Why not have it all colored to match the graying line?

Then it will all match and you won't have to worry about it.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

ConnieWI, two reasons: Iíve read itís hard to do that and my sister tried to do that and it looked horrible. Iíve read you can do lowlights and highlights to blend the two. Iím due for a haircut, so I will discuss with my stylist. She wonít be happy. Every time Iíve mentioned going gray, she has been negative about it. She says she will dye till she dies. But frankly Iím fine with being gray, I just hate the transition period.

amiga13

Old 02-24-2019, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I was caring for DH with dementia, one day he was surprised to announce, ďYou have silver in your hair.Ē I love my silver.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-24-2019, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My hairdresser tried to discourage me from stopping dying my light brown hair. I did anyway and he had to admit my silver came in a beautiful shade. It is very liberating not to color, and it saves time/money. I get compliments on my silver hair from women I don’t even know quite often. Can’t take credit for that. Just blessed with a pretty shade of silver.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

No one will be surprised...
Old 02-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

No one will be surprised but I'm the oddball here. I had to let my short hair grow out to recover from my former beautician's "highlighting". She managed to have chunks of yellowish blond hair (tiger stripes) that I constantly had to try to cover up. Now I'm putting in grey highlights and a few low lights giving my hair more silver tones. It's really a significant change. I seem to look better with lighter colored hair. Even DHs gold buddies tell me they like my hair. Now that's just plain crazy! Men?

I don't mind having gray hair since it seems to compliment my complexion. I'm 70 and it's expected in a "lady of a certain age".
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Vicary

So glad I did it
Old 02-24-2019, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My hairdresser had been coloring my hair brown for years. When I told her I wanted to let it grow out gray, she was completely on board. My hair was just about shoulder length. I let about 3/4 " of gray grow out so she could match the color of gray. Then she just dyed my hair that color (kind of an ash blonde, I think) and away I went. It wasn't perfect, but it was perfect for me. The peroxide gave me a lot of body I never had before (miss it!) and eventually it all grew out. I was lucky because my gray was prettier than I had expected. I did this eight years ago in January, just a couple of weeks before I decided to retire at the end of the year. Freedom!
Vicary is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Grey hair
Old 02-24-2019, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I started sort of short and did a semi permanent dye which wears off after awhile. I just did that until it was complete. Never had to put up with a line. I have a shock of white in the front and lovely silvery color on the remainder of my head. I love my hair and the upkeep is so easy. I find it helps to keep a fashionable cut to keep it young looking. My decision was because the brown dyed hair no longer looked right with my skin tone. Those very dark dye jobs just donít look natural as skin ages.

juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 02-24-2019, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I let mine go gray and it wasnít as gray as I thought it would be. My gray is just in the front and blends in. My hairdresser loves it! I just let it dry and so I have some waves. I get my haircut tomorrow.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Pull it back
Old 02-26-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I let mine grow out I would pull it back sort of like half up and half down (modified version). It really did soften the grow out line.

The funny thing about hairdressers is now that my hair is entirely silver, they say, "Oh, don't color it, it's beautiful."

Go For It!!! I doubt I would color mine again.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvmy3kids

Silver
Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am into my 9th month of growing out my silver hair. I had some highlights put in at about month 4 and month 6. I use baking soda and purple shampoo to tone down the few yellowish hairs when they bother me. The baking soda also makes my white around my face really white which I like. Now I would just like my hair to grow as fast as it did when I was coloring every 3 weeks!!!! Growing out silver hair is so different for everyone. Go with your gut as to what will work for you. You will love whatever you decide!!!
iluvmy3kids is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-28-2019, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Now I would just like my hair to grow as fast as it did when I was coloring every 3 weeks!!!!
Yes, this!