Help

Retired Teachers

Retirement party or not?

>

aggie'swife

Retirement party or not?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Did your district have a retirement party for you when you retired? Or did you prefer not to have one and go out quietly?

aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-24-2019, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A few of us at my school retired the same year. We were asked and did not want the standard BORING retirement party in the library. Instead we had a Happy Hour celebration on the patio at a local restaurant after school one day. It was low key and fun. The school provided the cake and those who attended purchased a drink of their choice and any hors d'oeuvres they wanted.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-24-2019, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The school just did a before school breakfast and gave gift cards to everyone who was retiring/leaving. I didnít really want a party, but to be honest it was kind of underwhelming after 13 years at the same school.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our district does a recognition meeting for all retirees in the district. Principals called us up and said nice things about us and then gave us plaques.

I did not want my school staff to do anything so I could leave quietly but this is not what happened. They gave me a BIG going away party at a local restaurant. I realized that even though the party was not what I wanted, the staff wanted to say goodbye with a party. I decided to graciously let them have the party and I actually really enjoyed it. Retirement parties are not always about just us.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I selected
Old 02-24-2019, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

to not have a big campus party at my school. I also did not attend the district dinner evening. I did tell my team I would like to do something with them away from school. So we planned a very simple outing after school one day. It was perfect for me.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Retirement Celebration
Old 02-24-2019, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district has a celebration for all retiring personnel - teachers, paraprofessionals, maintenance, etc.

The end of the year is so hectic, and getting everything done at school by the end is hard, so ours has morphed into an after school, no-host, happy hour-type open house at the local Elks' lodge.

People bring appetizers and munchies, purchase drinks from the lodge. There is a short speech/gift period and then mingling.

What I like about it is that it is so casual. We have a small district and many employees have worked in multiple buildings over the years, or their job required them to work across the district. Retirees are welcome to invite people outside of the district if they choose. We invite past retirees so that they, too, can extend their congratulations. Some years it becomes quite the reunion of sorts.

MathWA hit the nail on the head:
Quote:
Retirement parties are not always about just us.
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I taught in
Old 02-24-2019, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

a large district that offered a health insurance "buyout", with around one hundred teachers and support staff retiring. We had more of an evening assembly with P's singing praises. I don't remember if there was food, but DH and I left early. I was conflicted because I felt I should stay and show support , but it really dragged on. In the lobby, there was a huge pyramid of clocks for us. Mine stopped working less than three months later.
My school had four retirees and we had a lunch with cake on the last day of school. It was pretty laid back.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My DH had a retirement party for me at a local pub. He sprung for the appetizers and cake. My staff and many friends from the district making it a nice event.

I declined to go to the district's luncheon for retired teachers. I knew what the superintendent called it (not nice words) when he was in his office. (It sometimes pays to be best friends with the district secretary.) He made it clear that it was an inconvenience to have to stop work and endure the speeches and tributes to the teachers. He really couldn't wait to see us all head out the door.

The month after I retired three of my dear school friends took me on a surprise trip to Pheonix AZ for four days. Now that was fun!

The bottom line is you should do what you would like most. I think you should plan some event to mark the occasion.

Last edited by Renea; 02-24-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wanted to go quietly but I retired with two other teachers who wanted a big bash so I got outvoted.

I'm not a drinker but since the party was in my honor I had to stay through the speeches and gift presentations and multiple rounds.

It was not a pleasant experience.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 02-24-2019, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The reason I ask is that last year we had two teachers retire on our campus. For the one, he announced early and they had a nice party at the end of the school day in the cafeteria with cake, well wishes from admin and our little band playing.

The other one, she didn't announce and they honored her at the end of the year staff meeting on the last day of school.

For me....I am more interested in seeing former students, both in school and graduated. Cake, cookies and hearing about them. Since I taught in another district nearby would it be okay to invite former students from there as well?

Renea

Old 02-24-2019, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Aggie'swife, it's absolutely appropriate for you to invite former students or staff. It's your party so plan what pleases you. I have a feeling you'll love reconnecting with the many families from your past. It would be a delightful way to wrap up a career devoted to others.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Retirement party
Old 02-24-2019, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our school always has something at a local restaurant. Anyone who wants to go pays X $ to include food and gift.

Every year I taught in my school, only one teacher retired each year and it was at different lovely venues. The year I retired, there were three of us, two were more introverted. I am extremely extrovert.

Honestly, I had looked forward to a big party....the one they gave was lovely-ish. I was happy to see so many friends, and I got to speak.

But....I threw my own party at home several weeks later.

I have control issues.......
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 02-24-2019, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our district has a nice presentation at the district school board room. I went but many people do not. I was a bit bummed as it wasnít presented by my principal. She did write a very nice piece that the district person read. I got a nice apple statue type of thing with my name and number of years in the district. My friend didnít go and she didnít get one.
The school had a party after school. The usual cake and card. I got a nice clock with my name and years in the district. I love it and it is on my hutch.
The best party of all was the one my family threw me. Food, corn hole, cake, and drinks. We had a shot for good measure. It was a great time. I only invited one person from my school.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Retirement Party
Old 02-24-2019, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My school had a retirement party for me, and it was nice. I worked in a huge district (137 schools), and there was a big reception for all the retiring teachers.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote
hand
Old 02-24-2019, 05:59 PM
This message has been deleted by hand.

cvt

retirement party
Old 02-24-2019, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My district has a big retirement party every year because it's a large district, but I didn't go. I did have a wonderful small retirement party at home with all the people I feel comfortable with.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

musiclover

Old 02-25-2019, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My district's retirement party (chicken dinner?) is held one full year later than most of us retired. In other words, I retired in June 2018 and the party is this coming May. You had to check a box on your retirement forms if you wanted an invitation. Most of us checked 'no.'

My circle of close friends gave me a very nice dinner party and my neighbor brought me balloons. It was enough!
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 02-25-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We had our usual end of the year luncheon, and the group that was retiring were honored at the luncheon. I really didn't enjoy that. I did enjoy going out to happy hour with anyone who wanted to join us. I thought that was it, but my daughter gave me a surprise party/barbecue. Somehow she got my family to fly in, invited all my favorite friends from each of my past schools, and it was just a nice informal get-together. That party was something I wouldn't have wanted, but it turned out to be my favorite memory.
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My district had a dinner for everyone retiring. No gifts. I did get to take the flowers on my table.

My school had several of us retiring. We went to dinner at a local restaurant along with our invited guests. No retirement gifts from my school.

The next morning, the principal told me that my son/DIL had not pre-paid for their dinners. Oh, how embarrassing! I guess it was a thing where they were to send money for the dinners to the school. I did not see the invitations because the secretary just asked for addresses. I could have died when I paid the principal.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Different teachers did different things. One teacher who had been at the school her whole career had a huge party at a local restaurant with the superintendent attending. Another teacher had a smaller get together at the firehouse with burgers. Both of them took about 3 months for the sunshine committee to plan. I left right before Christmas and announced after Thanksgiving. I told them I did not want a big party, so at the usual Christmas breakfast they gave me a gift certificate. My family was invited also. I was ready!!
There was a district dinner in June which I attended also. They gave us a plaque and our dinner.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 02-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

What a nice variety in celebrations. I can understand this
Quote:
For me....I am more interested in seeing former students, both in school and graduated.
There are some things you usually do only once so they become even more special. I hope a party is planned that will give you lots of good memories.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Our union has one...
Old 02-25-2019, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Every year, we have our union's recognition dinner. It honors the retirees from each building as well as the folks who have worked in the district 25 years. The retirees are also honored at the school board's awards night, along with academic and sports achievements of students. I retired at my building with two of my grade level colleagues. Even if I wished to go quietly, it would not have been possible. I was glad that I went to both the dinner and the school board awards night. It allowed me to say goodbye to the board members I knew as well as to colleagues from other buildings. We also received gifts from our colleagues at our end-of-the-year party. It was very nice and thoughtful of everyone. I was not especially close to most of my colleagues, but I had done lot of work for the union in my building, and if I had not gone, I would have regretted it.

Now when I left my other job in another state after 12 years, it was very different. I had a bad relationship with the superintendent and the principal and the last thing I wanted was a hypocritical goodbye speech from either one of them at a party. I opted not to be recognized at their party, but after school was out, I had a lunch at a local hotel and coincidentally, my first principal who had moved out of the area was up from Virginia where he now lived. It was great to see him, and we all had a great time.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re:retirement party
Old 02-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Good evening to all-
The district from which I retired does nothing for retiring teachers. I was quite happy with this. I really did not want any kind of party or such when I retired.
My department members had a cake and soft drinks brought in during lunch one day when they heard I was leaving, but I had lunch campus duty that day- I had campus duty every day- so they ate the cake and drank the drinks without me.
I was also quite happy with this.
Honestly, once I knew I was leaving for good, I could not wait until the last day rolled around. I turned in my keys, walked out the door, and I ain't been back since.
I think I would have detested a "retirement" party.
good night to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 03-03-2019, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I'm still adjusting to actually retiring, haven't told them yet. One minute I can't wait, the next is "am I really going to do this?"