CA retired teachers - remember merit pay? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

CA retired teachers - remember merit pay?

>

sonoma

CA retired teachers - remember merit pay?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was with a group of retired teachers and the subject of merit pay came up. I spoke about my experiences with it in the 1990s. Everyone insisted that it must have been something my district did - that the state never had a merit pay program.

I know they are wrong because a close friend of mine in another district received a large check and used it to buy a used porsche. It had to be sometime between 1994 and 2002 because my dd was in upper elementary and was obsessed with riding around the parking lot in my friend's car using what she called "the butt warmers"

When I search online I can find nothing about it. It was based on increase in test scores and only credentialed teachers could receive the $$. I know I am not imagining it. There were all kinds of problems and bitter feelings about the program.

Someone please tell me I'm not crazy - this really did happen.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

cbgreente2001

You are not
Old 03-02-2019, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

crazy or misremembering. It happened, but not every school district got money. So not every school got any either.
cbgreente2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-02-2019, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes I have vague memories as well. I was teaching first grade and the union talk was very anti merit pay. I don't think it went far nor do I remember anyone ever getting money.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

merit pay
Old 03-02-2019, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't think you are crazy but I don't remember merit pay going back that far. There had been talk of it as far back as the 1980s, but I don't know if it was ever implemented. Maybe it was an isolated district. There was something called "performance pay" in the 1980s because someone I knew got that, but it was not in California, and it wasn't even enough to buy a month of groceries, let alone a car.

I do remember that there was talk of merit pay in California in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but it wasn't until around 2010 or 2011 that California did a trial run in a couple of school districts.

I was working at a low SES school at the time(early 2000s), and I remember thinking that it was an ill-conceived plan. We had many great teachers in my school whose scores were not very good compared to the high SES schools, and no amount of merit pay would have made a difference. The only difference for the teachers to become "great" was to move to high SES schools--which was exactly what a bunch of them did.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-04-2019, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I returned to teaching in 1999, I did hear something about this. It didnít apply to me because I hadnít been there the previous year, and Iím positive it was never available to me after that. If memory serves, my very PC district would not allow individuals to be recognized at the expense of others.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Merit pay
Old 03-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I remember reading about it but thankfully my district never implemented such a program. I detest programs that basically pit one teacher against another in the effort to grasp a few more dollars. We all do our part, and working collaboratively is a better way to be effective. I totally agree with CVT!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote