Help

Kindergarten

inclusion classroom

>

kindiesarefun

inclusion classroom
Old 03-05-2019, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone teach in an inclusion classroom? I teach kindergarten and the special ed teacher and I have been talking about piloting this model next year. We have 8-10 special education students starting in the fall and wondered if it would work to co-teach an inclusion class rather than having those children spread out across the grade level.

kindiesarefun is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did it for years and it was amazing. You and your SpEd teacher need to be on the same page and recognize ALL the students are your shared students. That's key.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Co-Teaching
Old 03-06-2019, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I highly recommend you research models of what that would look like. Agree on one or two of them as “best choices” for your shared space. Divide up work as equally as you can, and set up your room in a way that prioritizes BOTH of you and your students.

The harder part of co-teaching is when it feels like you aren’t equal partners. It works best when you are - most things, with some minor disagreements, fall into place. I am now co-teaching to some degree with a number of different classes in a middle school setting. I notice the smoothest rooms are the ones where it is clear we are both there for the same reason. While not as definite in kinder, your professional relations shop is smoother in this situation, too.

Lots of great information out there, make sure you go check it out and GOOD LUCK!!!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Would the sped teacher only be teaching with you, or does she have other grade levels/responsibilities? I'd make sure you have a really clear picture of how much time she has to dedicate to this, and if it's not the full time, think about if you're okay with having that class by yourself for portions (possibly large portions) of the day.

I would also make sure to sit down with her and really talk specifics about what both of you expect this to look like. Make sure your vision is similar. As a sped teacher, I hate co-teaching (and have turned down offers/interviews for that set up) because I feel like the sped teacher is always treated like an aide.

Are you willing to give up control of your classroom, or are you viewing this as "extra help?" Keep in mind that in a true "co-teaching" situation, this doesn't just include sharing the instruction and responsibilities. It means both of you decide on the classroom set up, rules/expectations, parent communications, how to deal with any issues that arise/always having to run a new idea or thought past someone, etc. I think in general, teachers (myself definitely included) like to have control over their own space and enjoy having their "own" classrooms- otherwise they likely wouldn't have gone into teaching in the first place! I feel like this is why I've just never seen it work effectively.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kindiesarefun

Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies! We are just now starting a dialog on what it would look like. Do teachers generally split the teaching day...say, one does the morning meeting, one does calendar, one does language arts...? I really honestly can't picture how it works. So just kind of looking for pros and cons, different models, etc.

kindiesarefun is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't co-teach, however I job share and have always shared a classroom in one capacity or another. Communication is key. If you can't be honest with one another it won't work. You need to be on the same page in terms of teaching philosophy, discipline, etc. You also need to talk about everything - from big to little. You will find that some things fall into place because of your personalities, likes, etc., but a lot of things need to really be spelled out ahead of time so there is no confusion about who is doing what. And you need to be flexible and willing try new things! If it works it's amazing, for both the teachers and kids!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote