Help

Retired Teachers

As retirement gets closer...

>

OneMorePage

As retirement gets closer...
Old 02-10-2019, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've got about a year and a half to go. I'm wondering if as any of you got closer, did you get to the point that you felt you'd given all you can give? I love the kids and will miss them. It's all the other nonsense that is draining me. On this Sunday afternoon, the thought of starting a new week tomorrow exhausts me. I'm hoping this is normal. Thanks and looking forward to joining your retired ranks.

OneMorePage is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 02-10-2019, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Knowing that there is a light at the end of your "tunnel" really helps in the last few months. I decided to retire only four months before my retirement date because our district offered an unexpected buyout. I spent those days cleaning out files and cupboards so I could leave my room in pristine condition. I would be tired of new projects that the district wanted us to try but I was comforted to know that it would soon end. I focused on the funny sweet things my kids would say and do. I was excited about my new life and at the same time felt a bit sad to say goodbye to the school that was my home for 30 years.

Savor the final school months and remind yourself you don't have to be perfect. Let the stress fade away and enjoy your students.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Very normal...
Old 02-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I retired in June, and there were times I wished I had gone out the year before I did. What helped me through was thinking through things as a series of "lasts" or next-to-the lasts". It is a truly exhausting job, and a lot of it for me was I never felt I had a real weekend. The requirements just to be effective in the past 5 years or so have increased exponentially. If I wasn't spending the time on planning or grading, I was grocery shopping, doing laundry, cleaning, and cooking on the weekends. I rarely had time to just sit and relax, and if I wanted or needed to do something special, I had to plan for that by staying at school extra during the week to get everything required done in advance. And toward the end, I got good at sorting out what absolutely needed to be done from what really did not. I really felt the stress and pressure and came to resent it at the end.It wasn't what I signed up for all those years ago, that's for sure.

Keep your eye on the prize of retirement coming closer every day. It has been such a blessing to have the time back in my life to do what I truly want to do. I have to admit, that with teaching 6 months in the rear-view mirror, there is very little I have come to miss about my former teaching life. I gave it my all in the years I taught, and left very little on the table.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

OneMorePage
Old 02-10-2019, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am exactly where you are! I am planning on May 2020 being my retirement date. This has been an exceptionally hard year, but next year has the promise of a more compliant group of students and I will be more comfortable with the overhaul of my course that I teach.

My case might be different. I am at stage 4 kidney failure, but only 48. I have 27 years of teaching down, but 1 more year has been my goal for a long time. It is needed financially. I will need to find something less taxing for part time work to cover the reduced income.

I have a fear that my function might decline enough next year that I need to start dialysis or get on the transplant list. I think I can still teach while I do dialysis at night, but it won't be easy. But, if I have a pre-emptive transplant I am not sure I could finish the year (lowered immune system and required time off).
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

and....
Old 02-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been in the same room for about 20 years. I don't know where to start with getting rid of stuff. Old VHS tapes might be a good place to start.

LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, I felt that way, too. In fact, that was part of the reason I decided to retire. I got fed up with all the silly nonsense and expectations. So I think itís totally normal. You will get through it. Just focus on one week at a time. Definitely start getting rid of stuff now!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Retirement
Old 02-10-2019, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, I felt that way and in a sense it was freeing. Since I knew I was a short timer, I would give in to certain temptations like teach something not in the curriculum, skate a bit on report card comments, less formal conferences during readers and writers workshop.

I had good classroom management and would sometimes just leave them be and clean out a file drawer or cabinet.

And you know what, no one noticed I had pulled back a bit.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 02-12-2019, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes and yes.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

ljp8538

Just another year and a half
Old 03-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, I felt that I was at the point that it was just too much; I couldn't deal with it anymore; not only emotionally but physically. It was so draining that I spent Saturdays and some Sundays just resting up for the next week. But I was 66 by then.

So hang in there and it will come sooner than you think; at least we have the summer coming up to re charge.
ljp8538 is offline   Reply With Quote