Help

Retired Teachers

Getting cold feet...

>

TchrFvr

Getting cold feet...
Old 02-26-2019, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am retiring at the end of this school year...and I'm getting cold feet. I've already submitted my papers so I really can't "take it back"...
Has anyone else ever had cold feet after the die is cast?

TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

learnforever

All Will Be Well
Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It’s normal to wonder and worry about the “next steps”...remember all the other “firsts” you have successfully been through...college, jobs, marriage, children, moves to new homes, changes in administration and grade levels, etc. You will be fine. The best is yet to come..freedom, friends, travel, hobbies, reading, exercise, time to “just be”, new interests, and to take care of yourself. Truly retirement is a wonderful gift...one you’ve worked hard to achieve...change is a natural part of life and you can do this. Congratulations! Get ready for the rest of your life on your terms and in your time!
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I did not
Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But it is certainly understandable. It is a big change in life. Just keep telling yourself everything is going to be okay. You can always get a different job, maybe just part time if you want. Or there are tons of volunteer opportunities if it is about needing structure in your schedule rather than money.

At first it just feels like summer so that makes the transition a little easier. When the others get ready to go back to work in August and you don't, it will really sink in that you are retired.

Give yourself time to rest. Then start doing all the things you wanted to do but never had time for. Make music, create art, travel, exercise any time of day, become a gourmet cook, read everything you want, redecorate your home, visit relatives and friends, start a collection, act in a community play, build some furniture, sew clothes, spend time with grandchildren, catch up on shows and movies you missed, research your roots on Ancestory.com or elsewhere.... the possibilities are endless.

Retirement is not the end. It is just a new chapter. I wish you less anxiety and more joy with this upcoming part of your life.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-27-2019, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

DH was already retired and I was 65 when I retired so, for once, I didn’t second-guess myself. The only reason I can think of to have doubts is if you’re not really financially secure. Other than that, please leap into retirement with joy—it’s a wonderful life for me.

Last edited by amiga13; 02-27-2019 at 09:38 AM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 02-27-2019, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I remember when I handed in my papers. I even asked what would happen if I changed my mind. I think it's a normal feeling, but it goes away for sure by August, when you realize you don't have to get your room ready, sit through staff development, figure out how you are going to fit in a higher up's new initiatives, or wonder what type of class you are going to have for the next ten months. Keep thinking about these things and more, and it will be easy to step away. I am sure you will love retirement as much as we all do!

readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Look through the posts on this retirement board. See if you can find a post where somebody says, “Darn! I wish I hadn’t retired.”

I don’t believe I have ever seen one of those...
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

Thank you so much, everyone!
Old 02-27-2019, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I SO appreciate your helpful posts! I'm sure I will read them again and again as the time approaches when I teach will my last class of the year, and also of my career...and yet again in the fall when I would normally be teaching my new class...
And I never did find a post where anyone said they regretted retiring! Thank you, Lisa53

NJ Teacher

That's understandable...
Old 02-28-2019, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I remember when I handed in my papers, I did it early in my last school year, October, I think. The superintendent was not in his office to give them to him, so I handed them in to his secretary, who I knew well from working with her on the negotiations team. She asked me if I was sure, because it was pretty early, but I definitely was. I do remember having second thoughts in the summer when I went to the pensions office in the state capital to talk to someone there about the numbers and paperwork involved. When I left there, I told my friend I wasn't sure, but she reminded me that the pension check would come in 12 months out of the year, and the paycheck from my district was only 10 months, so I had to save for the summer out of it. She also told me to give it at least two weeks into the school year. Once I was back in school and the principal was giving us requirement after requirement, I knew the decision was right. And once I turned in those papers, even though I had to do everything, I was so empowered knowing it was the end.

You will have so much to look forward to in retirement. Yesterday night, I went back to one of the schools for a function a former student invited me to. People asked what I was doing. I was happy to say going to the gym, reading, and doing a little bit of traveling. People say how relaxed I look. Amazing how good you feel once the stress and pressure are gone. Enjoy your remaining months! Retirement is the BEST!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

Sounds like summer...
Old 02-28-2019, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

...without the constant preparing for and worrying about getting ready for the next school year while trying to enjoy the summer time (smile!)

As to finances, I won't have as much coming in retirement as I did while I am working, but I am blessed with having enough to live on. I don't spend a lot, either, so while again, I'm concerned about the unknown, it should be ok. If not, I keep telling myself that I can always tutor for extra income.

I will adjust, I'm sure of it (after all, I will HAVE to (smile!))...it's just that for my whole life I've never "been there" (i.e, not had full time school or a job - been working for pay since I was 10!) so I'm a bit afraid of the unknown.

Also, I have had that work ethic drilled into me by my parents - if you aren't doing something productive, you are wasting time. I guess I will just have to adjust my idea of what "productive" means (smile!)

NJ Teacher

You can still be very productive...
Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Some retired teachers choose to work either out of desire or necessity. Banks, libraries, museums, retail stores, etc. are places if you feel bored and just want to work somewhere. And some people sub or tutor.In my state, you have to wait 180 days before subbing, however if you are collecting a pension. I also have a friend who volunteers a few days month at a local not-for-profit gift shop, and another friend goes to activities at the Senior Center or the library. I have also had friends who volunteered at school helping other teachers by working with individual students in need of extra help.

For me, I have been slowly working at trying to de-clutter the house. I also love trying new recipes and organizing my Pinterest boards. I also am reading a lot more than I had time to do when I taught. And even if you do opt to do nothing but relax and recharge, you have earned that, and more. That's what retirement is, and you deserve it! wishing you the best!

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

snosho

Old 02-28-2019, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm in the same situation as you. I submitted my papers and can't "take them back." I keep second guessing myself and asking if I did the right thing. It's hard to imagine life without structure - especially, after running on such a rigid schedule day after day. I too have grown up with such a strong work ethic. My parents always stressed if you aren't doing something productive, you are wasting time. I'm guessing you and I and others feeling this way will be fine. It's the fear of the unknown and freedom that gives me that uneasy feeling. It sure is nice to have this board to read about other retirees and their situations and comments. Many other articles aren't anything about retired educators. Thank you everyone!
snosho is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-01-2019, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You can definitely create some structure for your days while retired! No worries!

I go to a fitness class at the gym at 8:30 every morning. That gets me up and going.

Other things I do:

-I take life long learning classes at the local college.
-I am a substitute library assistant at the local library...usually 2-3 hours per week. The job is flexible and paid.
-I am a tour guide at a local museum a couple days a week from May through November...also a paid and flexible job.
-I tutor occasionally.
-I used to substitute teach...but decided not to do that this year for a variety of reasons. I did enjoy it, which surprised me!
-I am involved with several social groups...a knitting group, a prayer group, a book discussion group...

Things I have decided NOT to do:

-I do NOT volunteer to be in charge of stuff.. No chairing committees, no serving on boards, no running programs.

I am in control of my time! If I want to take a day to be lazy and stay home, or to visit a friend who lives in a nearby state, or to shop in a different community, I can do it! None of my “commitments” precludes taking the day off.

Life is wonderful in retirement!. You will love it!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

snosho

Cold Feet
Old 03-04-2019, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Cold Feet - how are you doing? I replied to your initial message with feeling the same way. I am feeling so anxious about retirement and worried. How are you coping? I keep questioning myself as to why I signed the papers (can't take it back).

TchrFvr

It's getting better...
Old 03-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

...thanks to all the nice people here who have "been there before me." Reading everyone's comments here has really helped.

I still question my decision to retire every day, mostly due to two things - worry about finances (which I've checked time and time and time again, and I really don't have to worry as long as I'm prudent); and worry about not being a productive, contributing member of the workforce, which has been my whole life up to this point (I just have to find a way to contribute in a different way than teaching (smile!))

The other thing that has really helped...things are still going steadily south at the school regarding admin decisions, and I see no improvement in the near (or far, for that matter) future. Each announcement or meeting just confirms why I made the initial decision to retire. I am actually beginning to feel awfully lucky that I can escape (smile!), and awfully sad for the ones who feel they have to put up with it all because they need the job and don't think they can find another.

So counting my blessings, reading the comments here, and smiling through the latest edict for next year, knowing that I won't have to deal with it, have all helped me begin to feel better.

I sure hope you find what makes you feel better about your decision. What are your questions/concerns?

snosho

Cold Feet
Old 03-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm exactly like you in questioning my decision to retire every day. Our finances are in check so, that isn't a huge concern (have to be prudent too). Teaching has been my identity. I work with some fun people too. I too worry about not being a productive, contributing member of the workforce (I'm 58 so, feel young and am active). I do have days that I'm really excited then that worry, uneasy feeling returns. I have to accept my decision so, I'm trying to find strategies to help. My husband is retiring mid summer so, he is very excited (he is young - 56). I should feel blessed because most people would love to be in our situation. I think I felt the pressure from my husband to retire so, that made a difference in my decision although, I can't blame him because, it had to be me to sign the papers. Maybe it's because the winter has dragged on and when I think of winter, cold days I may as well be teaching. Like I said, I'm working on strategies to make this a wonderful time rather than a stressful, worried time. I hope it gets better too.
Thank you for your support!

TchrFvr

Hmm...winter days...
Old 03-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

...those are the days I'd like to be home with a fire and a good book (smile!)
My hubby will be retiring be the same time as I will. It will be good to retire together. Both of us loved our jobs. Neither of us wanted to retire until just this year. Funny how the "switch was thrown" for both of us all of a sudden.
You and I will just have to figure it out when the time comes. We've weathered everything else that has come our way, we can DO this!

Alaska35

Understand
Old 03-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I completely understand your getting “cold feet”. It is a little scary thinking what your life will be like when you retire. I made the decision to retire a year before I actually retired. I told two of my best teacher friends in my grade level. I told my P and AP in April. I haven’t had any regrets.

You will have a new structure or unstructure to your life! I think you will enjoy choosing how structured or unstructured your life will be during retirement. The key word is “choosing”.

I volunteer two to three days a week at activities that the church I attend sponsors. The other days are my choice to spend how I wish to for the most part. I am also able to spend more time with my family.

A little funny- One night, the first year I retired, I was out late with my brother, sister-in-law, and their grandson. I didn’t get home until after midnight because we had traveled to a special place to view Christmas lights.
This took place on a week night. I was hungry and found myself eating Chee-tos in the bed at midnight!

I think you will enjoy retirement!
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote