Help

Retired Teachers

Almost there.....

>

SeaGlass

Almost there.....
Old 03-08-2019, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

going to my first Pre Retirement meeting next week. I think I am almost ready to make a decision. Its either this year or next. You all seem so relaxed on this page. Hubby is meeting with his financial guy about his 401K and what he needs to do. He is 62 and I will be 60 in two weeks. We will probably still work but only hours WE want to and definitely not full time. I will not sub that's a definite.

My husband works 60 hours a week and only gets paid for 45. We have not taken a REAL vacation in a very long time.

SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

It is time
Old 03-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the two of you enjoy life more after all your hard work. Good luck to you both!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Getting there
Old 03-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My husband and I attended FOUR pre retirement meetings in the 3 years before retiring. It seemed like we learned something(s) new at each and every one.

The more you know, the more comfortable you will be with your decision, and it sounds like you are well on your way to that point.

The journey that we took in planning our transition from employed to retired was interesting. For so many years, we were on this path of working toward retirement, but transitioning into it was still such a mystery!

We learned so much from our pre-retirement workshops and our financial planner, and once we realized that retirement was on the horizon, we had questions galore.

Enjoy this time. The anticipation, especially when you have a plan, is exciting.
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Good luck in exploring your options...
Old 03-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We appear relaxed on this board because we are! And we will be looking forward to welcoming you to our midst!

It is a big decision to make, because for so long, we have worked hard and defined ourselves as teachers, b. I originally thought I would work two more years, but political changes in my state to the retirement system and the threat of future changes, particularly to the free healthcare I qualified for in retirement encouraged my decision to leave a couple of years ahead of schedule. I went for my consultation and never regretted retiring.

Truly owning my own time and being able to schedule things according to what I need or want to do is a true gift. I really didn't realize how much stress and pressure I was under until I was able to step back from it. And taking a vacation in October was the BEST!

Good luck with your plans. I wish you and your husband a long, happy and healthy retirement whether it is this year or next.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ljp8538

Your time will be your own!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Its really exciting to have real freedom when you retire! I'm wondering if you were a teacher from age 22 or did you make it your second career?

ljp8538 is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

I've worked since
Old 03-08-2019, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was 22! I took 8 weeks maternity leave for both of my kids. That's about it. I'm ready.
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
We appear relaxed on this board because we are!
NJ Teacher said it for me. Iíve never enjoyed every moment so much. Freedom is a lovely thing.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote