Retired Teachers

Garden in the spring...

>

EdfromBama

Garden in the spring...
Old 02-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good afternoon to all-
Well, it's getting to be early spring gardening time here on the Gulf Coast.
We picked the last of the winter carrots yesterday- did great on carrots this year. The broccoli and collards are just about done. May try a spring planting of broccs- we'll see.
The potatoes are up- at least, the first planting. the middle crop is in the ground.
I planted first round of tomatoes yesterday. Rained just a little this morning, and the little plants look great.
If we don't get any cool weather, i will probably plant the first round of green beans in a couple of weeks.
I do like being able to garden year round- so much better than having to wait until the snow melts and the ground thaws.
Good day to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

garden
Old 02-18-2019, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I do like being able to garden year round-
I do too. Here in SoCal we've had more rain than we know what to do with, but my vegetables are thriving. My collards and mustard and kale are doing great, and I've been harvesting some almost every day. The strawberries drowned and eaten by snails and slugs, my onions rotten because of the rain, lavender is doing fabulously, my attempt at growing turmeric failed, and my thyme and sage have to be pruned because they are growing too fast.

Last edited by cvt; 02-18-2019 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: lousy grammar
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Gardening
Old 02-18-2019, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Isnít it lovely to have all the time you want for gardening? I just spent several hours pulling tons of weeds in preparation for spring planting.

I so enjoy your posts!
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 02-18-2019, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We had three inches of nice, white, fluffy poor manís fertilizer today...and tomorrow my final one ton pallet of wood pellets will be delivered. That should keep me warm till spring.

I have to have some tree trimming done near my garden this spring so the poor plants can photosynthesize, and so it will be worthwhile to have solar panels installed on the garage roof.

Lots of garden work to be done this spring, but right now my garden looks like this:
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ed and cvt, good for you. I like reading about your gardens.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 02-19-2019, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love reading about your gardens, too...gives me hope that someday (May) it will be warm enough for mine!
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Gardens
Old 02-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ed, thank you for your lovely description! It is still very much winter here. However, I admit that I am a terrible gardener...more of a Farmer's Market girl. If you don't mind, I will garden vicariously through you.
Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

garden circle
Old 02-20-2019, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Good morning to all-
One of the very best things about living in the country- well, we're sort of semi-country now- quite a few folks have built houses and moved closer to us than when we first moved here- is that everything is related and ties together.
Let me explain.
We have chickens in a big, fenced lot out back. We hatch our own replacement chicks each year- the babies enter this world in my room where I can hear them start to peep and roll around a day or so before they hatch. The chickens find a lot of their own food, and we provide them with scraps and left-overs that we don't eat. We give the chickens all of the non-edible garden residue from the food we grow.
When I rake out the chickenhouse, the old pooped-up straw goes on the garden- great fertilizer- so we grow even more food, and the chickens get more scraps. We're getting 12-16 big, delicious eggs every day- at the local farmer's market, these eggs would go for $5 to 7$ a dozen.
So, it all moves in a big circle. One thing helps another thing, and most all of it goes to feed us.
The garden is an important part of our lives. We could live without it, but we sure live a lot better with it.
good day to all- Ed

lisa53

Old 02-20-2019, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I get my eggs from a neighbor who has chickens. They free range the neighborhood...Why did the chickens cross the road? To get the Japanese beetles on my roses! It's good for everyone.

I put my scraps in my worm bin and make good compost in my kitchen all winter. I have a bigger compost pile outdoors for the summer when I have more garden and lawn waste.

It's great to live in the country (even though I am actually right in town)...I don't have space to do a huge garden, but I have fresh herbs all summer (and some on the windowsill in the winter), and salads from the garden, too. I'm starting from scratch this year because we moved here in June...pretty late for our short growing season. Putting in blueberry bushes and asparagus this spring, too, down in the field. I'm looking forward to a productive summer! All I have to do is get through the winter...

2grade

Old 02-20-2019, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We're just like the movie, "Frozen", here.

2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

FlyfishGuy

Living Vicariously
Old 02-24-2019, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ed,

Glad to hear about your garden and I imagine you might be doing some fishing too. Both of those activities sound pretty good to me up here in Maine. My garden spot looks like that of Lisa53 and the trout ponds up north are frozen and buried under even more snow today. Thanks for giving me hope.

Must admit the first retirement winter has been a long one for me but I think it might make me appreciate spring planting and spring fishing. I definitely need to have a better plan for Dec. to April next year.

Enjoy
FlyfishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Flyfishguy
Old 02-24-2019, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

No ice fishing?

EdfromBama

re- next winter's plans
Old 02-24-2019, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Good evening to all-
Good evening to all
Good evening to all-
good evening to all- FlyFishGuy-
Yes, I have been doing some fishing. I've been catching a whole bunch of crappie the past couple of weeks- getting good photos for future articles.
Later this week, I am going to Panama City, Florida for a few days of fishing and eating good food- the tourism people there are paying for it- I do so appreciate being taken on trips and having someone else pay for it.
I hope to get to try my 12 weight fly rod on some big, mean amberjack. I'll let you know how that goes.
Yes, if I could not garden or go fishing through the winter, it would begin to wear on me, too. We moved from the Midwest to the Coast so we could escape those long dreary months of no scratching in the dirt and no going on the water.
It was a very good move.
You might think about snowbirding to the coast and spending the winter there. It's pretty nice, really.
good evening to all- Ed

FlyfishGuy

Old 02-24-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Ed-My head is spinning either from the fast-paced snowblowing I just did before the snow turned to rain or from that list of fishing you just provided. Until my wife retires the only snowbirding to the coast I could possibly do is to my brother's at Blue Hill, Me.

Keep me posted on how the 12 wt worked out.

My plan was to get my snowmobile running and do some icefishing but that fell by the wayside. Used to go a lot in my younger days when I didn't mind the cold.
FlyfishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

ljp8538

Snow! Oh no!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm sorry; you still have winter!! Well, at least you probably don't have the horrible humid heat in the summer for 5 months like we do in South Texas.

I don't know where you live, but I have a nephew in New Hampshire who gets up at 3:45 every morning to shovel snow before leaving for work!
ljp8538 is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: spring garden
Old 03-15-2019, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Good morning to all-
Well, if you got a garden, you got a garden to lose.
We had a super-early spring, but last week, we had two nights of 25 degree chill. Lost pretty much everything. Covered it all, but when it gets that cold, there's not much to do but pull up the poor dead bodies and replant.
So, the new tomatoes are doing well, the potatoes MAY recover from the cold, and replanted green beans are up and looking nice.
We'll just have a slightly later garden this year.
good day to all- Ed

EdfromBama

re: 12 weight
Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

FlyFishGuy-
On my trip I caught some very nice red snapper on spinning gear- up to perhaps 15-17 pounds. Caught a very nice grouper, too.
I was on a boat with two younger guys whose ignorance was matched only by their lack of fishing ability- and they made it pretty hard to attempt fly casting
safely. And the fish were holding about 12 feet deep, so without a sinking fly line, it was hard to get a streamer down to the fish.
I'll keep trying.
Ed