Help

Forget-me-not Room

from graphic organizers to great story

>

urbandweller

from graphic organizers to great story
Old 10-15-2011, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you teach students that a graphic organizer is just to map out your ideas for a story and not where the story is written? I have students who just want to copy their graphic organizer onto paper and turn it in!

vttraveler

Old 10-15-2011, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I struggle with that too. One thing I do is to tell them that they may not write sentences on their graphic organizer.

I also begin by teaching them how to brainstorm. I model on the board first, and then we discuss whether I paused or used neat handwriting or worried about spelling. Then I set the timer for 3 minutes, and they try it.

I tell them that their graphic organizer also doesn't have to be in their best handwriting or spelled correctly. Sometimes doing the brainstorming example first helps them to be freer on the graphic organizer.

busybee4

Model, Model and model again
Old 10-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I model using a GO and then writing out a story. I laminated a huge bun for beginning(top of bun) and wrap (bottom of the bun) up and 3 sandwich fillers for 3 (green/ lettuc 1st event, yellow/cheese 2nd story event and red/meat for 3rd story event to aid sequential events. They help me gererate a story map and then we write a story right onto the hamburger laminated pieces. Then we revisit the hamburger to work on word choices, additional information and editing issues. I also provide time to orally stretch out the stories using the GO before starting to write the story. I also will copy a problem story onto the hanburger and we fix the errors together. I do this in large group, small group and 1-1 with children who struggle. This hands on approach is super helpful!

It needs to be modeled over and over and then yet again. Call up a small group to do it with them from beginning to end...over and over again. Good luck.

Readn gal

writing process
Old 02-10-2012, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I provide a preprinted graphic organizer that does not have room for complete sentences. I model a think aloud and then how to jot it down without writing out my whole thought. Just enough to remember for the draft stage. I also do each stage of the writing process on a different day. Brainstorm one day. Next day graphic organizer. Draft....etc. When they are drafting I walk around and check off their prewrite. If they write complete sentences, I have them redo it.

I model each stage of the writing process on my document camera. When I draft I think aloud and double space, etc. Just yesterday (with sixth graders!) I had to model publishing because they asked if they had to double space (no only on a draft) and I noticed a couple struggling with paragraphing. I think their brains are clogged with hormones!

MissESL

Step by Step
Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a very simple graphic organizer that I tell students is a REMINDER for what they will be writing about.
The GO has the following sections: Main Characters (list at least 2), Setting & Time, Problem, Solution, and SOMETIMES a "lesson".
Not including space for three major events seems to help it remain only an outline.

We write one story together first on the overhead.
Day 1: Graphic Organizer, Brainstorm Character Qualities and Appearances
Day 2: Write BEGINNING of story (Set it Up, do not get into Problem yet).
Day 3: Write the MIDDLE of the story (Pick up where you left off, end the middle of the story when you hit the problem).
Day 4: Finish the story (pick up from the problem, plus the events to the solution).
Student write each section of the story in class after we do the section in our story. This way they can't work ahead and I can see what they need to add or take out at they work.

Then we begin the editing process in a simple partner format. We do a second draft, then type our final draft. I work with LEP students, and I found that breaking it into pieces really helped them take the time to develop their stories.