Help

Forget-me-not Room

Books for the 6 traits

>

missandrew

Books for the 6 traits
Old 09-10-2012, 11:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a Grade 4 teacher who has free reign over how I teach writing this year, and I'm really interested in the 6 traits approach. I was wondering what books people would suggest I get to set myself up - I'm looking at either 6+1 the complete traits of writing grade 3 & up or getting started with the traits grades 3-5. Am I heading in the right direction with these choices or is there somewhere else I should go? Any help or suggestions appriciated

bellringer

writing
Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

With Common Core becoming the norm, I am approaching writing by focusing on the genre and incorporating the traits and the writing process into that. CCSS require writing opinion, informative, and narrative. For example, my team has picked informative and narrative as genres we will cover in October. For both genres, I will address Ideas and Organization, Voice in narrative, etc.
Making the genre that I want to teach the "big picture", and working the traits and process in, has really helped me teach writing more confidently and efficiently.

mmw

smekens website
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found that the more resources you use at the beginning of implementation, the more confusing it is. The Smekens site has ideas, etc. but the best is their book, Launching the 6 Traits. It takes you and your students step by step.

The Trait Crate, in my opinion, turned out to be useless.