Help

First Grade

switch to gr 5-6

>

Schroe

switch to gr 5-6
Old 05-20-2018, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching grade 1 for 3 years after having taught 3/4 for a few years. I have an opportunity to transfer within my district to a school that, I believe, better fits me as a person and as an educator and it has a stronger principal at the helm. The con is that it is a 5/6 classroom, at least for another year, at which time it would likely become a grade 6 position. This excites me!
I have never taught grade 5 or 6 and am unsure that I could make that change successfully without a lot of time spent preparing over the summer. I'm also worried that once I make that grade switch I would be stuck with it whether I liked it or not (although I have been assured that this wouldn't be the case, we all know how that goes)! The last con is my daughter...she will be a senior in HS and I think any spare time I have this year should be dedicated to working on her transition beyond HS. She has a couple of physical disabilities so I know that I will need to be available.
Ugh.
I want to do this but...I feel like the timing is off. Has anyone here ever made such a grade jump before? If so, how did it go? Thanks.

Schroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

Prep time
Old 05-22-2018, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would think that the prep time for a 5/6 split would be huge for a new teacher. Here are a couple of things to consider: Are there 5th or 6th grade teachers who could help you with planning? Would you enjoy the independence of the older students? Would you like the grading of longer, more involved assignments/projects?

My SIL loved the older grades and she thought that she had more flexibility than me because she could do so much of her planning and grading away from school.

I think working with a great teacher team & principal are the two things that make me happiest as a teacher. I will always love working with kids -- the adults can make or break a situation.
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote