Help

First Grade

guided reading

>

2keeplrning

guided reading
Old 06-05-2018, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I've been doing guided reading groups my entire career. I teach first grade and we've typically started our reading groups at week 5 or 6. At our last day of post-planning last month, my principal announced that this fall we are to begin groups week one. I trust her implicitly but I'm not completely sure that I understand what that will look like. Honestly, at this point I'm visualizing 4 kids sitting at the table while 20 others are running wild (did I mention that we are not to do any centers?)!

Has anyone out there ever started groups that early? If so, I'd love some pointers.
TIA

2keeplrning is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Reading groups
Old 06-05-2018, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I start about week 4. Do lots of whole class work to establish routines and procedures, especially for independent work. Also need time for assessments.

Never do centers. Kids read or do differentiated word work when I pull groups.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 06-06-2018, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If I were in your shoes, I would smile and nod. Then I would start with 5min guided reading groups and build stamina from there. Whenever I get mandates that don't make sense, I find that it's easier to not make a fuss and just adapt it to make it work for my class...by then admin moves on to something else
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

What instead of centers?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What are your first graders expected to do while you work with guided reading groups? I did kindergarten this year and we started guided reading fairly quickly. Though sometimes guided reading might consist of my group doing a game like letter sound go fish while I monitored/assisted the rest of the class. At the beginning of the year read to self was just looking at big books on the carpet. I had short response sheets they did where they drew a character they found, wrote a letter they know, and/or a word they know. Word work was essentially center type games to build letter and sound knowledge. Work on writing was basically just picture drawing at the beginning of the year with captions or titles if they could do it. We worked our way to simple stories by the end of the year. What I am trying to say is I think there are probably tasks that fall under your principal's guidelines that could be done independently. You could also have larger guided reading groups at the beginning of the year so more students are working more directly with you. How many first grade classes are in your school? Is she expecting the same of the kindergarten teacher? Does she have a clear grasp on the fact children at that age are not at all independent at the beginning of the year?
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

SmilingAtYou

no centers?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What do you have the kids do while you're pulling groups if they aren't in centers?

SmilingAtYou is offline   Reply With Quote

campteachread

😊
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You are so smart and wise! This is awesome advice!!!! I will keep it in mind for myself......

Sorry- this is in response to pause buttons reply. New to posting- I have been a member for along time but have just been a reader. I’m trying to “put myself out there more”

Last edited by campteachread; 06-06-2018 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Explain myself better
campteachread is offline   Reply With Quote

2keeplrning

Smiling at You and Lillybabe
Old 06-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Independent reading, practice, and partner reading are the expectations for the workshop block. That's what they will do while I'm with groups. It works just fine, really, but I'm used to starting week 5 at the earliest. At that point we've built plenty of stamina and the routines have been set. That's why I'm a bit nervous.

2keeplrning

Pause button
Old 06-06-2018, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Closing the door and doing my thing is not an option in this case. They aren't requiring full-blown groups, just getting the books to the kids ASAP. They will be walking through to make certain we're on it.
This is a low-SES school so getting them reading is important. I just thought if someone out there was beginning that early they could enlighten me about what it looks like the first week.

raelyn

Guided Reading
Old 08-13-2018, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I understand your dilemma and wish I could offer some solid advice. In years past we a had the first 6 weeks of school to establish routines and then start Guided Reading. Now we are expected to start the first full week of school which is about 2 days after they start. I have noticed a difference alright. I spend ridiculous amounts of time putting out fires because routines and procedures haven't been ingrained. Guided Reading is now my most dreaded subject. I can't get anything accomplished, especially since my district has cut it down to 25 minutes daily. What in the world can I do with 25 minutes and 23 students? It's been maddening. We do have centers, but at the beginning of the year the students just aren't able to work independently. This year I've decided to try to focus on getting my Guided Reading block together. We haven't returned yet so I don't know where Guided Reading will be in my schedule. I'm looking for some way to sneak in more time, then I can plan better. At this point I plan to spend at least half of my 25 minutes teaching and practicing procedures. Then I'll have the class complete simple projects for Back to School Night or other simple tasks like making a shelf marker for our class library while I complete assessments.
raelyn is offline   Reply With Quote