Help

First Grade

No Prize Box

>

deansbaby67

No Prize Box
Old 06-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are a PBIS school and work hard to instill self-motivation and grit. We have whole school "rewards" in place. Basically we give a sticker and their name is called out and they stand during assembly, it's kind of big deal. Other teachers do prize boxes, but I don't personally care to do that, I prefer intrinsic motivation and all. I'm working to come up with some new ideas this year, and I have a few, but I would like to hear what you do to help motivate, inspire, and cheer on your kids without giving away toys and candy. Thanks so much!

deansbaby67 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 06-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've taught for 12 years and never had a prize box. Recently, I've been using Class Dojo. Students like earning points/recognition even if it's not tied to a tangible thing. Also, every Friday is Spirit Friday in my class so we all enjoy a treat like 'Joke day', 'Bring a furry friend', 'Game day'.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

deansbaby67

wow!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've used Class Dojo before, so I may go back to that. I love those other ideas!! That's exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for! Thanks!

pausebutton

Old 06-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks

I only use the positive points on Class Dojo and the messaging feature...so not exactly the way it was intended to be used.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

deansbaby67

yep!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are getting into growth mindset, so I was already thinking just to use positive points. I think it could be just as effective as using both!!

Kat's Mom

Lunch bunch
Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

On Fridays, I invite the students who had only a minor infraction or no infractions on the behavior chart to lunch in the classroom and play a snippet of a Disney movie during lunch. (One Disney movie lasts me 3-4 lunches. ) The students with greater numbers of infractions just eat in the cafeteria like normal. The students love eating in the room on Fridays to celebrate their behavior choices!
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-14-2018, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

-Wear a hat to school (with admin permission)
-Extra recess time
-"Free time" or game time in the classroom
-Pick a seat or use the teacher chair

For more whole class awards, sometimes our school has done competitions between classes (or between grade levels). They weren't for behavior, but I think you could use it as such. Then the kids got to do a fun activity to (or with) the principal and/or teachers. This of course requires willing adults. They've earned the rights to slime the principal, pie the teachers, game day with the whole grade level and the P, have the P read a book to the class, etc.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mayra

Mayra

Class Coupons Rewards
Old 07-02-2018, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Have you tried class coupons rewards? I use it in my classroom as a reward and the kids love it. These are some of the class coupons that are popular in my classroom... gym coach (students get to pick go noodle), sit on teacher's desk, work on the floor, swap desk for the day, tell a joke (I have a few joke books), write with pen etc. Hope this helps!

Lillybabe

Class Dojo
Old 07-02-2018, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I used Class Dojo last year. Instead of student specific goals if the class reached our goal (usually about 10 points per person) everyone would get some sort of reward. All class prize box, dance party, extra free choice time, extra recess, etc. I only took points for repeat offenses (3+ in the morning and/or 3+ in the afternoon). Otherwise negative behaviors were worth 0 points. I did this to track behaviors and inform parents. If a child is constantly shouting out for example, this quickly becomes a problem and is something we may need to work on. I liked having the documentation of tracking behaviors positive and negative for all students. I removed the sounds for negative/zero points. You can also share only positive points with parents.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote