Help

Second Grade

Calendar time? Morning meeting?

>

3monkeys

Calendar time? Morning meeting?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you include a calendar time or morning meeting in your second grade classroom? If so, would you please outline what you include in it? Thank you!

3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Classroom
Old 07-09-2018, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not do a calendar time and second grade. I have a calendar up and I write the date on the board every morning .

I do incorporate a morning meeting every morning that lasts between five and 10 minutes .

Monday the students get to share the best part of their weekend.
Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday the students reach their neighbor by name with either a handshake a pinky shake or a quiet high-five.
On Friday is Newsday the students get to share one thing they just want to tell the class .

Morning meeting even when they are sharing they start off with my name is
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Calendar Time
Old 07-11-2018, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My morning calendar time is very short. I pull sticks to have students answer each part. Here is what we do:

- Add the date to the calendar.
- Look at how many days we've been in school. We use 10 frames and base ten blocks.
- Practice telling time. I have a magnetic dry erase Lakeshore clock that I use. I change the time every day.
- Add that day's weather to the weather graph.
- Practice counting coins. This is added in once we have learned about money. I put a few magnetic coins on the piggy bank (DJ Inkers clip art that I printed and laminated) and we count the total.
- If anyone lost a tooth, we fill in the graph.

I would love to buy Mountain Math and incorporate it into my calendar routine, but it's so expensive.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 07-30-2018, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, I do morning meeting as part of it. I start with the schedule of the day, then I do numbers talk, then I do skip counting till the number of school days we have done (with the kids picking what factor to try to use to reach the number, I do a community building with at the beginning of the year or with new students doing games to get names shared later I do feelings-one kid picks a feeling and the class goes around and the kids say what might make them feel that way (kids can pass if they wish), I then say three or less goals I want the class to work on-later in the year I get the kids to give feedback or ideas for goals. Sometimes the feelings get skipped for relevant concerns and/or questions the kids have as well as issues I want to bring up for the class to work on. It is usually done within 20 minutes.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 10-11-2018, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do daily morning meetings. They last 10min. When students arrive I have a morning question on my dry erase board they write to respond to- we share that during our meeting, my teacher assistant student does a daily “how many days have we been in school “ten frame chart and place value chart, this same student also does a class calendar / day of the week/ weather - this same student takes 1-2 min of our class meeting to announce this to the class.

Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote