Help

Second Grade

Behavior Chart vs. Class Dojo

>

learn

Behavior Chart vs. Class Dojo
Old 07-23-2018, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Alright, here is my dilemma, what should I use for second grade?

Class Dojo vs. Behavior Chart and how do I implement this with checking their planners in the morning?

If you use classdojo, how do you normally do this and how many points do you give them for each subject of the day etc?

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

behavior chart
Old 07-23-2018, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my first year to teach 2nd grade, but I tried Dojo with 3rd graders and it didn't work well for me. It was too high-maintenance and I just don't have time for that. The clip chart is way easier, IMO. I intend on using it with my 2nd graders, too. The other 2nd grade teachers use it as well.

We don't use planners, so I'm not sure how you implement it with them. Mine just have a school-to-home folder that I check for notes in the mornings, and I hope to gradually teach them to bring them to me rather than me checking their folder.

I also don't have a behavior chart that goes home with them. I just tell parents that if they don't hear from me (phone or email), then their child was fine. Again, I don't want to take precious time away coloring in a behavior chart at the end of each day.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Dojo
Old 07-23-2018, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I much prefer Dojo to a clip chart. The clip chart was too public - some kids were so stressed about it, and what others thought, that they couldn't work.

I didn't do subjects, I just gave out points for those who were on task at random times. I also gave points for complete and signed planners each day. If kids had a serious infraction, points were taken away. Online updates were easy, and parents received them in real time - Positive or negative. It made documentation very easy.

I also often shared pictures of class activities, and sent out group messages. The parents raved about the change from clip charts to dojo.

Last edited by Coopsgrammy; 07-23-2018 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

I'm torn...
Old 07-23-2018, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

between both. I see it did take quite a lot of time, but both were made public as I used Class Dojo on the smartboard and had the kids mark their points in kindergarten. They seemed to enjoy this. How many points within the day did you give them or you didn't? Did some student just earn 5 points vs some got 15? Can you clarify for me to help me decide?

Thank you.

booklady57

I'm with SusanTeach
Old 07-26-2018, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't want to have to carry a device with me everywhere, and stop instruction to enter points. And I don't like that I have to use my personal device to monitor a school activity. We do not have iPads or phones given to us by the school.

I find the clip chart the least intrusive to my teaching. And truthfully, I try not to use it except in extreme cases for negative behavior. I make most of my focus on moving up the chart, and don't have a reward system. Kids get rewarded by the oohs and aahs of their classmates as they move upward, and only occasionally do I have a little special surprise something for kids that are at the top.

I also told parents that if they don't hear from me, all is okay. I find that some parents are hyper focused on that chart, and punish children for having one warning during the day. My thought is that everyone messes up sometimes. I don't contact parents unless the child is at the very bottom of the chart. Our schedule is so rushed that taking an extra five to ten minutes at the end of the day for kids to get their planners and crayons out, mark their planners and have me check them all for truthfulness is just more time than I want to devote to that task.

If there is a significant problem during the day, that child gets their planner and puts it on my desk. I write a quick note to parents when I can sneak it in during the day and the planner gets handed back to the child at the end of the day.

As to privacy, we use numbered clothespins on the chart, but it doesn't matter. Kids know who is in trouble and why. And that would be true no matter what system you use.

booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

Booklady
Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

it makes total sense. I love it. But do you have a "Behavior Letter explaining your system for the parents?

booklady57

Not a letter per se
Old 07-27-2018, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

but the behavior policy is reviewed at Open House, it is posted on the class web page, and a brief description is included in the binder that kids take home each day. Have to say, most parents never seem to look at any of that.

I should add that apparently clip charts are considered terribly old school and are looked down upon by those who are preparing our young teachers for the classroom. The interns who came into my room last year were surprised to see it being used, and were concerned about student privacy. I would actually prefer to use simple consequences for behavioral problems as they arise, but the school PBIS mandates that we all have certain elements in our behavior system. I prefer not to use Dojo, so this is a compromise.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote