Second Grade

Science and Social Studies Units

>

MissEmmaJ7

Science and Social Studies Units
Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

This coming school year, we are given only about 30-40 minute time blocks for teaching science/social studies daily. I have decided to do units so that I can go deeper into topics. However, I am wondering what units you all alternate with? And, just because Iím curious how do you personally go about teaching the units? Projects? Readings? What does your SS/S routine look like? Especially if you do units!

Thank you so much!
Emma

MissEmmaJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Science and Social Studies
Old 08-01-2018, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you look at your state standards or common core, you will know what you need to teach for second grade science and social studies. Perhaps your district has certain units you must teach so these will already be spelled out in your district's curriculum.

In my district, the units for second grade are good basic introductions to general info students will need in order to understand topics that might be on state assessments.

If you are lucky, you can read aloud some nonfiction books during your reading block that are on the same topic as you science or social studies unit. You can use these books to also teach nonfiction text features (table of contents, index, subject headings, captions, glossary, etc.) and kill two birds with one stone by teaching reading and providing background info on science/social studies topic.

You might also want to have a basket of nonfiction books on the topic you are teaching in science and social studies so your students can read them during independent reading time. If you do not have your own collection of books, you can borrow them from your school or public library.

When teaching measurement in math, you might be able to incorporate this into science and social studies too.

I teach science for six weeks straight and social studies for six weeks straight. (We are on a trimester schedule.) I do not teach both subjects at the same time. It cuts down on my planning and allows me to get deeper into a subject.

Don't forget to include a map skills unit for social studies along with continents and oceans. Kids need to know how to read a map, because it is definitely going to show up on state testing.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote