Help

Future Teachers

Does where you get your degree matter?

>

greensky811

Does where you get your degree matter?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all, brand new member here! I'm going back to school for Elementary Ed and am about to complete my AA degree this fall and then start in an Elementary Education program. My conundrum is deciding where to go for that program. I'm currently at a community college that offers a 4 year degree in Elementary Ed but was planning on transferring to a bigger state school because I figured it would look better for potential employers especially if I move out of state at some point. I have asked teachers and searched the web but I get a lot of mixed messages. A lot of people have told me as long as the school is legitimate, accredited and all that it doesn't matter where you go for Elementary Education. What have you all heard or found? The community college is cheaper and closer to home but I want to be properly prepared for teaching and have my degree be respected by future employers. Thanks for any info/opinions!

greensky811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

It does not matter
Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I guess if you had Stanford or Yale on your resume it might stand out or if you went to the same school as the interviewer but really as long as you have the diploma and credential from an accredited school it makes no difference at all.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found that name recognition didn't matter, but I would consider the quality of the program as far as how prepared you'll be for the job. What will make you stand out for hiring is now knowledgeable you are in the interview.

I went to a very small private school that the vast majority of people even in my home state haven't heard of. I ended up moving out of state after graduation, so obviously no one here has heard of it. I don't feel that lack of name recognition hurt me at all.

However, my program was excellent. They had us constantly out in schools doing real teaching. We started doing field experiences freshman year, and by junior year I was teaching for about 10 hours per week (fully in charge of planning and teaching one or two subjects in my field placement). Senior year, I student taught for a full year where I was 100% in charge for over half of the year. My friends that went to state schools mostly did a few observations and then student taught for one semester senior year, where they were either never 100% in charge or had a 2 week "full lead."

Obviously I had a significant amount of background and experience to draw on that most new teachers didn't, and that stood out in interviews. My first year, I heard, "I can't believe you're a first year teacher!" over and over again. It didn't really feel like my "first year" because I'd gotten so much experience in college.

Long story short, I don't think you need to worry about perception of prestige or name recognition, but I would consider the overall quality of the program and if it's going to really prepare you for the job.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote