Second Grade

Speech/Language Meeting

>

learn

Speech/Language Meeting
Old 11-28-2018, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,
Need your guidance on this. Have a meeting in regards to a speech student. I am fully aware the student is in great need still of speech help, but with language, what proof, and information do I need to have to prove he does need or does NOT need language help?

I have some writing samples and they do look fairly good. The student has gotten B's and C's in writing and really doesn't show that his speech is getting in the way of his language, from my point of view. But really wanted to make sure I am covering and looking at this properly since this is my first year in second grade.

Any help and guidance is truly appreciated.

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Language
Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does he communicate his ideas well in whole group, small group, on the playground? Do his language delays interfere with social relationships or speaking up in class? Can you see he needs more time to process when verbally supplying answers? (The “cold call” is not for everyone.) Do you find yourself using any modifications to make him successful? Maybe something like a word bank, clarifying questions, longer processing time, etc.? In his written work do any misspellings occur that reflect an articulation error? Does he struggle with explaining his thinking or describing something?

I hope this helps because so many 2nd graders struggle with these things. It can be hard to determine who needs the specialized help. I enjoy the IEP meetings to celebrate growth as well as to learn more ways to help. Hope your meeting goes well!

Last edited by slg; 11-28-2018 at 11:50 AM..
slg is offline   Reply With Quote