Help

Kindergarten

Teaching rhyming

>

Keltikmom

Teaching rhyming
Old 01-15-2019, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Itís been a long time since I taught kinder. I am volunteering in a friendís room working with a small group who canít rhyme. Iíve gotten them to the point they can hear a set of rhyming words, but cannot produce them.

Any tips on how to proceed from here?

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Rhyming books, and hopping letters
Old 01-15-2019, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My niece and nephew love the book "Froodle" right now! It has a ton of silly, made-up rhymes, and may get the kids playing with words in a way that would help. Here's a read-aloud of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcz3AASn24k

Another good game, especially if you've got a wiggly group, is to lay out some letters on the floor, and have kids hop on a letter and make a rhyme. So, for example, you say "rat" and the kid hops onto the "C" and says "cat".

* Those foam alphabet mats are great, but you can improvise - anything that won't slip out from under them will work.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-15-2019, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are any of them second language learners? If so, I've found that it is VERY hard for some ELL kids to rhyme. And it doesn't affect their reading ability.

We do lots of silly rhyming games with their names. I read rhyming books and leave off the last word and they guess the word (using it in context makes it easier for them to figure out). We do lots of sorts with rhyming pictures - start with just two choices and then add more as they get better. I also love using rhyming puzzles - the kind with two pieces that rhyme. Give each kid a piece and have them find their partner that has the rhyming word. They know they got it right when the pieces fit.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Rhyming
Old 01-15-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks. Yes several of them are ELL, and several are not. I suspect all but one have a limited general vocabulary. Pictures work, and I might look for the book.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We segment words down our arms,putting the first sound on our shoulder,the middle sound on the inside of our elbow and the last sound on the top of our hand. We use one hand to move down the other arm. For rhyming we recite the rule for what makes a word rhyme. Two words rhyme when the middle and ending sounds are the same.
We segment the word on our arm, pretend to grab the first sound on our shoulder and throw it away and then replace it with a new consonant to make the new nonsense or real word. Kids get it when they get to move their bodies.

We read poems and underline words that rhyme. Kids have a poetry journal for this.Today we did a "Little People game" where each student got a colored cut out of a little person. They partnered up with an assigned different partner by looking for the assigned color. The pairs of students came up with 2 rhyming words and then shared with the class.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote