Help

Kindergarten

Classroom Management/Consequence Ideas

>

TeacherPK6

Classroom Management/Consequence Ideas
Old 02-02-2019, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some ideas for natural and helpful consequences for poor behavior (don't worry, I also do lots of positive reinforcement as well). Here are some additional details, if they're helpful.

-I do use ClassDojo. That works well for some, but some students don't really care all that much about gaining or losing points.

-We're not allowed to take away recess. Even if we were, I would really only want to use that sparingly as often the kids who would be "losing" recess are the kids who need it most!

-A couple of times I have done giving the kids who have been following directions some free choice time. That seems to have an affect on the kids who don't earn it that time, but they don't really seem to remember that affect later on. They're kind of young in kindergarten for more delayed rewards.

-I have a handful of really active, playful boys who instigate things with one another. I try to keep them separated as much as possible during work time, but they're like little magnets.

Thanks!

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-03-2019, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My consequences are almost always a direct reflection of the behavior. This works for 99% of the kids. When you are talking about that elusive 1% it's a whole different ballgame.
Examples of my consequences:
  • You touch your neighbors when on the rug, you sit away from the group
  • You spill/break/destroy something, you clean it up or fix it
  • You play around during work time, you work during play time
  • You play around when you are with one special friend, you and that friend do not get to sit or work together
  • You come into the classroom and goof around/wander around/etc, you go back outside and come in again (and again and again...)
  • You cut in line, you go to the back
  • You push, fool around, etc when walking in line you get the "privilege" of holding my hand
You get my drift. Again, there are sometimes kids where these things just don't work. Usually those are the kids that have something huge at home, have lived through trauma, etc. I approach them in a whole different manner depending on the circumstances.
I don't use dojo or a clip chart or anything. I've never found it to benefit anyone.

One very "special" year I had THAT class. I ended up completely overhauling my management because it just wasn't working. I ended up using a gold ticket system where I handed out tickets for good behavior all. the. time. Like, constantly. They earned first pick on fun Friday and I always put out a few really desired activities to choose from. It wasn't the magic bullet that year but it did help. I carried those darn tickets with me everywhere! I haven't had to use it again, but it's still in the closet just in case...
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 02-05-2019, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for all the suggestions!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote