Help

Retired Teachers

It is Official

>

jady_marie

It is Official
Old 02-06-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I signed my papers to retire at the end of this school year. Feeling really nervous! Is this normal? I am currently thinking about what job I might want in my future. Suggestions?

jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 02-06-2019, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations! It is a roller coaster of emotions when you finally sign the papers. Will you HAVE to work after you retire or will you just be looking for ways to spend your time? I know banks and libraries usually like to hire former teachers. Enjoy your last few months and remember you've worked hard and deserve a happy retirement!
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I felt a little nervous
Old 02-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but more excited than nervous. Everyone is different. Hope the rest of your teaching career is very enjoyable. I am not working after teacher retirement. But if I did I would want something part time only, no traveling and no work to take home. I hope you find the perfect job for you if you really want to work.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 02-06-2019, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First, congratulations! Once I made the decision I wasnít nervous. I became more relaxed and didnít care about any school BS.

I started to get nervous about two weeks before the end all of the what ifís. Iím still nervous about my budget but I know making less will be worth it.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Retirement
Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Congratulations! I was excited and not nervous when I decided to retire. I was tired of the pressure and toxic environment where I worked. You are going to love retirement.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-07-2019 at 05:08 AM..
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

How wonderful for you!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Choosing to retire is a BIG deal! I know that a lot of time and thought went into your decision. A lot of my retired friends tutor as a way to supplement their income. Some of them sub, although in my state, you have to be out of the pubic sector for 180 days before you can do that, so check the regulations so you don't jeopardize your pension. Retail is another option, as is volunteering, if you don't need the supplemental income. Looking forward to seeing you post on here as you join our ranks. Welcome!
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Future job
Old 02-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Congrats on your upcoming retirement. I retired from teaching in 2017, but still needed medical insurance, so I am now a receptionist at a Credit Union. I love my job! I miss some of my teacher friends, but I don't miss teaching at all!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 02-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Have you talked to a financial advisor? They have a formula for figuring out how much money you need to retire. We meet with our guy every quarter. I have a part time job cleaning my sonís apartment. I just started this. You will love retirement. I like being able to go and do things when I want. Welcome to the retirement board. Iím sure youíll love it. Everyone is nervous at first.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Congratulations! This is my first year of retirement. I too, was nervous right when I turned in my letter but excited after that. I truly felt like my life was consumed by teaching.
I also knew that I didn't want to give up working altogether. From August to November i worked at a farm that gives field trips to school groups. Now I shelve books at the library. I know many people who love subbing. If you don't want to sub at public schools, I also know people who sub at Christian schools and preschools.
I work 18 hours a week and it's wonderful. The best part is not thinking about work when I leave to go home.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote