Help

Retired Teachers

I'm done!

>

TchrFvr

I'm done!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I turned in my retirement papers last week, effective at the end of this school year. Unreasonable administration who keep coming up with more and more for us to do without taking anything off the table, unreasonable parents who back their children without understanding the whole story...two of those today just confirmed to me that I made the right decision. Now...how to make it through the rest of the year without losing my mind or my temper...(smile!)
I can hardly wait to join this group!

TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Congratulations!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can do it! If you have to paint a small on your face each morning. Just think about not going back next August.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 02-14-2019, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

About now is when I started only doing what I had to. Any meetings that were about next year, I would ask my P if I needed to go. I got out of quite a few meetings or parts of meetings. Make a paper chain either one per week or per day. Tear it off each day or Fridays. This really helped me see the time I had left. You can do it!
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Yay!!!
Old 02-15-2019, 12:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I hope the rest of the school year goes by quickly. You are going to love this next phase of your life. It is the best!
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have truly enjoyed my teaching years...I'll be finishing year 41 at the close of this year. Things have sure changed in education, and a lot for the better, but the two things that really bother me are the entitlement attitude that so many parents and students have now, and that so many administrators give into that entitlement so as not to have to deal with it. That leaves us teachers "on the hook." I am just tired of dealing with it. I still love teaching, and still love working with kids. But I won't miss those enough to go back into tomorrow's classroom (wry smile!)

TchrFvr

Great idea!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love your paper chain/tear one off every day idea! Now if I can just find the time to make one...sigh...
(smile!)

annie_g

Old 02-15-2019, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Congrats! Do yourself a favor and start getting rid of stuff now.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Congratulations and welcome...
Old 02-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your decision and are definitely ready. I retired in June for a lot of the same reasons. I hope you can savor your next few months of "lasts", and that anticipating retirement and not having to deal with the stress and workload once you go out in June will see you through. I was just thinking this week about the craziness of Valentine's Day and the 100th day of school, and the fact that we only get President's Day off, not the week we used to have. The students and their families of course, are off an extra day while the staff suffers through professional development yet again. I love retirement, and I wish you a happy and healthy one, as well.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Celebrate the Lasts!
Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had a fellow teacher who "counted down," and he admitted afterward that the rest of his year seemed to drag.

I decided to celebrate the lasts! What a joy it was! Last time scoring essays, last week of bus duty, lunch duty, etc., last staff meeting, last parent/teacher conferences (Boy! Was THAT one left a smile on my face!).... seemed like every week I had at least two or three thing I could smile about and celebrate them being the last!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

prestolj

should I retire??
Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I didn't think about it until I received an email today for a 30,000 voluntary separation buyout. I'm excited, overwhelmed, unprepared! What advice would you give me to begin pursuing this option? I have 32 years of service (5 purchased) I'm only 52 so age is a factor. I've been studying the retirement checklist and I don't know if I should pick equated or not, also what do you do about insurance? Anybody have advice for a retire-wannabe?

prestolj is offline   Reply With Quote

prestolj

celebrate
Old 02-16-2019, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Love the great attitude! I'm with you there!

annie_g

Old 02-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

prestolj, check with your state retirement system to see if you can get insurance through them, and maybe ask if you can stay on the district insurance?
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Double check your finances
Old 02-16-2019, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I retired the year my district offered a buyout too. It was a great retirement present. Make sure that you can live comfortably on your retirement. You have a long way to go before you can qualify for Medicare or SS. Try living on your retirement income before you take the leap into retirement. Retirement is great, but not if it means just scraping by. I hope you get to do this. People ask me all of the time if I miss working, or if I want to sub. No, just no.

If you do decide to retire start cleaning out a little bit everyday. I was able to walk out of the door on the last day of school as soon as we were released.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Buyout
Old 02-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My first thought was the 30000 and how hard you'll get hit for that with income taxes.

When my husband and I retired (same year), we each received 2000 for letting the district know by Jan 31. We figured that 2000 wouldn't affect us too much, especially since the last quarter of the year we'd be getting our lower retirement pay.

But... it was actually $4000 because it was the both of us. Just that 4000 pushed us into the next tax bracket, and that really screwed us. We ended up paying about 3000.

Be sure to check to see if you can avoid what we went through.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

Old 02-17-2019, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've been cleaning out a lot of stuff, from things I treasure and use every year, to wonderful projects I used to be able to do but because of the schedule and pressure for test scores that I haven't used for years (that's one of the many reasons I finally decided to retire.) I'm giving anything I think might be useful to other teachers, who have so far said they really appreciate what I've given them (I told them to just throw it out if they decide they don't need/want it) and have just tossed a lot of stuff. Sad to see a lifetime of hard work and wonderful memories in the recycle, but at the same time, strangely freeing.
I hope to be able to do as Star-Gazer did, walk out on the last day with nothing else to do.

prestolj

retiring
Old 03-02-2019, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Great idea! What to keep and what to leave?? I have so many resource materials from the days before internet! I may keep them and see if I can't use the info for a TPT store! Great ideas!

prestolj

beach glass
Old 03-02-2019, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We are given a payment option. One lump sum, 2 payments over the course of a school year or 3 payments over two school years. My husband and I thought the 3 payment plan is the way we should go. Also I met with my financial advisor and when all is said and done, I would need to make $800.00 a month to retain my current salary status. Very attainable I believe! I don't want to stop working, I just think I need to do something else! I'm so over disrespectful kids and apathetic parents! I will miss the kids that are wonderful to teach!