First Grade

I need Advice!

>

Frustrating

Frustrating

I need Advice!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are in the middle of February and I still have some students who canít read. They literally will still sound the word out. I recommend them for intervention and I have tried to work with them in small groups. But nothing is working. Maybe Iím not using the right strategies with them. I really could use the help. I want to do whatever I can on my part to help these kids catch up. What can I do to help them. Thanks!

PUKO

Phonics?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How are their phonics skills? Maybe start there. Do you take the MAP assessment? Or any other assessment that can give you a starting point of where they need the most help. I had a few kiddos last yr. That this worked with. We covered 1 or 2 concepts a week in a small group for about 10 min. Each and it worked very well.
PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

sometimes, but not always
Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

students get the impression that saying sounds is reading. They don't understand that that phonics is 1/3 of the ways to translate black squiggles on the page to ideas.

You might be able to help focus them on making meaning by doing a "picture walk"--exploring the pictures on each page before beginning to read, looking for information about the story and what words to expect. You can say something like use the first sound to help get your mouth ready for a word that makes sense. If they are sounding out every word and losing all sense of the sentence, you can say now that you know the words, say the whole thing to know more about the story. Things like that can help them focus on reading as making meaning.

the third element is grammar, because word order helps eliminate some choices. For instance, if the student reads she is eating ...the next word would be a noun or adjective, not a verb. You might ask does that sound right? If the word doesn't fit the context you can ask does that make sense?

I often ask student to use the sounds at the beginning and ending of the word along with the ideas we've developed through the picture walk to figure out what would make sense. If the story says she rode a h...s I'd expect meaning to lead to horse rather then house.

Kids need all three cueing systems: sound-symbol (phonics), meaning (semantics), and grammar (syntax) to get to the ideas on the page.

You might also work on some basic sight words that appear often in your stories. I certainly hope they are not trying to sound out "the" they could gargle to death. If words like the, to, for, in, out, be, etc. aren't know they can really slow down comprehension and overtax auditory memory. I have put some of the basic words into spelling lists as extra credit so they will be practiced at home. (do you still have spelling at your school/district?) (Sight) Word walls and reviewing the words on them are wonderful for
developing and keeping recognition. I used to dictate sentences using only work wall words once we had about twenty or so up there, it's good to have a few nouns and verbs for the purpose. "I can be good." "He is big." "The cat was (and throw in a rhyming word with a different on-set) fat." CVC words can be helpful on a word wall. Add some words used often in writing: love, mom, dad, fun, etc.
If they spell it wrong in writing--hey, that's a word wall word, if you don't have it in your head, copy it.
If they copy enough, they remember it. :-)
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Suggestion

Suggestion

Suggestions
Old 03-01-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Checkout: reading simplified or Jan richardson "Next Steps to Guided Reading"

imcrazedw4

Jan Richardson
Old 03-08-2019, 11:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the previous post's advice. Get Jan Richardson's Next Step to Guided Reading. She'll tell you what strategies you need to be using at the various stages of reading. She's a wonderful resource!

imcrazedw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Frustrating

Frustrating

Thank you!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You have been awesome! Iím purchasing the book.