Help

Retired Teachers

What to do with personal books?

>

JME

What to do with personal books?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm retiring at the end of the school year and I'm trying to decide what to do with materials I've spent my personal money on. I have a SLEW of guided reading group books (some of which I got through Scholastic bonus points) as well as numerous professional books. Any suggestions? I've thought about reselling them on eBay or Amazon (I could use the money!) but I'm wondering if that's going to be more trouble than it's worth in the long run. (I've never sold anything on eBay or Amazon before.) Can I get a tax break if I donate my books to the public school I work in? I'm already planning on letting my teammates have whatever they want, but I think there will still be a lot of leftover books. TIA!

JME is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Books
Old 02-17-2019, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I kept my favorite, mostly hardback, picture books to share with my grandson. Maybe 100, little less.

The rest I left. Yes, I paid for at least half of the thousand books in my room....but I also inherited the other half from other teachers. It was my way of paying it forward and hopefully garnering some karma points.

I just didnít want the hassle of packing them all up, lugging them home, sorting them out, then trying to sell them as individuals or as sets.

Let them go.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I gave them all to colleagues. I had a ton of books, too. I didnít want to deal with selling or taxes.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had more than a thousand books. I kept some of my hardcover favorites for future grandchildren. I threw out any torn or really outdated books. I left all the guided sets for my teammates. I sorted the rest of the books by month or theme and left them for my team. When I go back occasionally to sub I love seeing them being used. And the kids always run to show me my name in the books that are in their independent book boxes. I had 20 first graders. I gave each student a giant ziploc bag and they all got to choose 22 books to keep. The books were the hardest thing for me to let go but Iím glad I did.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Professional books
Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I left everything for the next teacher. Let it go!! I only took one box of books to use with grandchildren. I had another box I thought I might use if I tutored but after five years I just threw it all away...

juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 02-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

With our current tax situation you would have to have more than $24,000 in deductions (married) to itemize and be able to taken advantage of the donation.

I took my books home when I retired convinced I could make some money. I held a teacher yard sale (posted at all the local schools) and made about $400. Still have over 2,000 books left which I donated. But I had to make a lot of phone calls to find someone willing to take them.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Stuff
Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did as many did: I saved only the ones that were absolute favorites or that I would possibly pass on to grandkids. The rest of my library (3000+books),I left for the gal taking my place (who was also my student teacher that semester). As others have posted - it was like paying it forward.

As a new teacher so long ago, I walked into my first classroom, it had student texts, one piece of chalk, and one chalkboard eraser. That.Was.It. Totally bare. What an impression that made on me. I vowed never to do it when I left.

One thing to bear in mind about paperback books is that they are not meant to last a long time as hardcover books are. They do deteriorate.

As far as teacher resource books, DVDs, etc. were concerned - I offered to colleagues any they had borrowed from me, and let my replacement decide on the rest. A cool thing we do in my district is provide a "Free Box" in the teachers' room. One man's trash is another's treasure.

Let it go!
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Books
Old 02-17-2019, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was fortunate because the long term substitute who took my position (I retired in January) wanted all my books. If she had not, I would have given them to other teachers and donated the unused ones to the public library.

I took five or six books home with me and haven't looked at them in three years.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

books
Old 02-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I did this:
Quote:
I had more than a thousand books. I kept some of my hardcover favorites for future grandchildren.
Except I had over two thousand books. I gave about a hundred of my hardcover and paperback favorites to my DDs. They are a bit older now but still read some of the books, and have given the rest to an emergency center for children.

And this:
Quote:
I had 20 first graders. I gave each student a giant ziploc bag and they all got to choose 22 books to keep. The books were the hardest thing for me to let go but I’m glad I did.
I sold some of the hardcover books that were in excellent shape on Amazon.
And left the rest of the books that were in good shape in my classroom library.

Last edited by cvt; 02-17-2019 at 03:28 PM..
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thought...
Old 02-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you were a new teacher way back when and began your career with no classroom library like I did, you might think about leaving the books for the new teacher.

I am sure the new person would really appreciate moving into a classroom with a substantial library. The teachers at your grade level already have their own classroom library, and don't need to add your collection to their collection.

Leave the books for the new teacher.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 02-17-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I took a few of my very favorite books and left the rest for the teacher who was coming into my room. I had my students pick out the books that were worn out or torn and the serviceable books were left in my library. It was good to know that the students in my school would enjoy the books.

I took very few teaching supplies home with me.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-17-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

As many others said, I saved a few for my grandson and left the rest. I did not want to deal with trying to sell and I just considered it a donation.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I agree with Keltikmom...
Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I had many, many personal books. I am single with no children or grandchildren and don't have any friends who needed them. As I was packing up my personal things, I gave away special books to my grade level colleagues and other teachers I felt could use them. Then, I sent an email to the staff and invited them to come on down and take anything they wanted. Rather surprisingly, there were not many takers. I think so many teachers in my school are overwhelmed, and so many books are on YouTube that they could just project the book being read. Sad, but true...

As for my classroom library, I let the students take home any books I personally had purchased if they wanted. They brought in some bags on the last few days of school and cleaned out some. It didn't make a dent in what I had. I also got rid of any books that were in sad shape.

I also took home books that did have special significance to me. I have a small bookcase a former student made for me years ago that came home, and I put the books into that bookcase. There were some I just couldn't part with. I didn't even take all my autographed books (I have been so fortunate to have met many children's authors over my career) because I knew I had no space or need for them.

As luck would have it, two other teachers at my grade level retired, and they down-sized a classroom position. I planned on leaving all the books behind, and my worst nightmare was that my principal, whom I didn't have a particularly good relationship with, was going to tell me all the books had to go. They were using the room for an Enrichment/Basic Skills room, and a classroom the following year. Thank goodness, it didn't happen. If it did, my answer was going to be that over the years, many of those books were purchased by the school district and I couldn't distinguish between mine and the ones paid for by taxpayer money. This was not true of course, as the district books were always kept separate from mine, but it sounded good. Luckily, it didn't happen, although when she came down to my room on one of the last afternoons of school, I was nervous...

As hard as it is, let them go. I threw out a tremendous amount of stuff as I got ready for retirement, including my project files. Most people can get that type of thing on Pinterest or TPT these days anyway, and want their own stuff.

Last edited by NJ Teacher; 02-18-2019 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: wrong spelling in title
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-18-2019, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
....so many books are on YouTube that they could just project the book being read.
This was news to me. I was a huge fan of picture books and used them for a lot of my teaching. I just looked at YouTube and listened to a few. All I could think was, how sad to lose that teacher-student read aloud connection. Reading aloud was a big part of who I was as a teacheróI even prepared my comments on stickies in the book to explain the lesson connection. A changing world.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Definitely a changing world...
Old 02-18-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My much-younger principal actually commented on my colleague's evaluation when she chose to read the book rather than use a YouTube version. There were times when the technology was helpful--if you had a big group like when we did buddies with another class and it was difficult to see the pictures so projecting the YouTube version on the SmartBoard was helpful, or if there was a book you couldn't find in the public library or needed on short notice. I also did like the website www.storylineonline.net where actors or actresses read the books. But, in my school, I did see many relying on YouTube. I also see a shift in the school's media center to technology and things like makerspaces rather than author studies. My students in third grade unfortunately did not know many authors I considered classic. Definitely a changing world...
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

books
Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I left most for the incoming teacher. We were still doing guided reading and a "print rich classroom" is mandatory.
The books authors autographed I kept. Those will go to nieces and nephews. I donated several to places that help schools and teachers. I sent a box of books to a school destroyed by a tornado.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Elsa said it best- "Let it go!"
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote