Help

Retired Teachers

Second Guessing

>

snosho

Second Guessing
Old 02-20-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I turned in my retirement papers last week. Our deadline to commit was last week otherwise, we lose monies given by the district. I've taught for 37 years in elementary and have loved it. Yes, sick of meetings, changing curriculum's, conferences, grading etc. Financially, I'm/we are fine to retire and was super excited yet, now I'm second guessing my decision. I have a hard time thinking of what life will be like without going to school and having those connections. Have any of you felt this way? Have any of you regretted retiring? I know I can sub and volunteer but, just can't quite grasp not having a schedule. Thank you in advance for your input!

snosho is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Snosho
Old 02-20-2019, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Many say they loved retirement immediately. Nothing not to ❤️ love. However, I was not one of them. I felt as you did about expectations, all early retirement incentives were expiring as of that contract, and I had grandchildren whose lives I was not able to be as involved with as I wanted. Honestly, it took me a solid year to really get accustomed to retired life. I liked it, but I was unsettled. I did some NAEP testing and limited subbing as well. Both those activities helped scaffold me from such an involved career to retirement. My DH continued to work full time so I needed to fill my time by myself. That was not hard...exercise, volunteering, reading, catching up with friends and relatives, hiking, some travel all helped fill the gap. Last year, my DH finally retired and it has been much easier with him by my side. Just accept and do plenty of self care. Cleaning out closets, etc helped me too! You will be fine but do not expect it to come the first day. Grieving for what is past is perfectly natural. Here I am four years later and I am pretty darn happy!!
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-20-2019, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my 4th year of retirement as well. I loved being retired from Day 1 but it was also an adjustment not to have the daily routine of teaching. That first year I thought every day about what I would be doing at school if I was still teaching. That totally faded away my 2nd year of retirement.

I have never regretted retiring. I had set a goal to retire in 2015 a few years earlier so it was not a sudden decision. I had so much fun my last year and felt ready. It’s nice to be able to enjoy life without putting things on hold because lesson plans or grading are pending. Each day belongs to me. I still keep a calendar because retired life can be very busy! I hope you enjoy it too!
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

A mantra on here
Old 02-20-2019, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

in the past was "retirement is a process." It has a learning curve to it. It's a big life change jolt that hit me about midway through September my first retired year. Until them, life was pretty much the same rhythm as always through summer, then I suddenly realized I was noticing it was time for recess, time for lunch, etc. It takes awhile to not need a bell to go to the bathroom.

You will find your way. Some find it quickly, others ease into the new life, some just need a lot of sleep for awhile. It's perfectly fine to be in pajamas 'til noon-or even the next bed time. It's also fine to seek out and find several volunteer or paid positions. Everyone adjusts their own way.

A friend summed it up well for me. If your glass is always full, you don't know what else you can put in there.

For myself, I do a lot of travel in the RV with my husband--we just got back from two weeks in Death Valley. It rains there!! I do lots of reading, learn watercolor, watch Amazon Prime. I've been on committees for the school district, county library and a board member for a charter school. There are lots of things to do if you need to be doing. There's also opportunity to just be. There's something to be said for being.

You'll figure it out. What a wonderful time to check out things you always wished you could do but weren't free to explore.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Chocchip

Old 02-20-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I felt that way when I put in my papers 8 years ago. I remember thinking that I’d have nothing to do and would miss teaching. The first year was a bit hard. I kept thinking and missing the “good” parts of teaching. Then I’d go in to help and realized I’m glad I retired!

Chocchip is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Thought I would really Miss Teaching
Old 02-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

But I was wrong. I love being retired. Spent the first year moving and organizing my "new" home. I also rested and slept a great deal my first year of retirement.

Then I began to look for things to do that I would enjoy. It is a fun process exploring and enjoying activities.

I think you will do something similar and find peace and joy in retirement. Congratulations and best wishes for a happy retirement.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I retired a year and half ago. The first year was a little tough partly because I decided very late in the year to retire. I was kind of fed up with all the expectations and basically having no life. But I did miss the actual teaching and most of the kids. My last two years of teaching were very difficult being switched from 4th to 6th grade and having several very challenging students. But now I really love being retired and I don’t think about teaching much. So it might take awhile to adjust, but you will.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 02-20-2019, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I retired when I was 60. I absolutely loved my job at my beloved low income school but I gave 30+ years to education and it was time for me. During the first year I missed the energy of walking through the door of my school and getting hit with BAM, BAM, BAM and off to the races. There was always a crisis that I had to deal with and I missed that. It took a year to adjust to the new pace of life but time is our friend. Life is so good now and I dont miss school at all. Trust me that you will adjust too. Go for it!!
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-20-2019, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
...just can't quite grasp not having a schedule.
I loved teaching, really loved it. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust to retirement. This really is the life. You will be able to schedule—or not—just as you see fit. Enjoy the freedom and the new, more flexible, pace.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Retirement
Old 02-21-2019, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I adore retirement and had no regrets about leaving school.

I took a few months off and relaxed when I first retired. Then I enrolled in classes at a lifelong learning institute (no homework, assignments, or exams) and joined a gym. I enjoy writing my schedule in my Erin Condren planner at the beginning of the week and having activities planned most days.

I'm someone who likes structure, so this works for me. You are going to love retirement. It is a glorious time of life.

travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 02-21-2019, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think we all felt like you do right now. But just wait until August, and it will really hit that you are retired. You can still have a schedule, but your day will be filled with things you want to do, not what you are told you have to do. Just the idea of no deadlines is freeing! It took me the first year of retirement to realize that I loved it so much. All through the first year, I kept thinking last year at this time... I still met teacher friends for dinner out once a month, and that made me realize that I made the right decision to retire. All they did was complain about the demands and deadlines. I was so over that!

All your feelings are normal. Next year at this time, you'll be wondering why you ever had any doubts. Congratulations!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 02-21-2019, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Even though I planned to retire years ahead of time, I struggled when I retired, especially the first year. I missed the kids and the daily challenge of teaching. It took me about a year and half to adjust. My husband is semi-retired. We sold our house and hit the road in an RV. Sometimes I still miss my old life, but then I remember all the stress and drama! Just give yourself time to adjust.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

snosho

Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you everyone! I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that everything will work out. I do live near a university so, supervising student teachers is another option. My biggest fear is missing the interaction with colleagues and keeping connections. Teaching has been my identity for 37 years.
snosho is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 02-21-2019, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I like to have a schedule as well. I was excited to retire but knew I needed something else. I thought about subbing but it was not my first choice. I have a part time job shelving books at the library and it is perfect. Everyone is so nice and I've made new acquaintances/friends. I get to chat with little ones who are in the children's room. I really do not miss teaching at all (and I loved it). The demands just became too much and I felt too old. I am grateful every Sunday night.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Busier than ever...
Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I can understand your feelings, especially since your are not retired yet and still define yourself as a teacher. You can still have a schedule, it will just look different. One friend of mine joined our town's senior center, and they have any different activities offered that she participates in and has made some new friends through those groups. They also sponsor trips, and she has gone to Broadway shows and musical performances on buses through them. I have another friend who has a volunteer commitment at a local non-profit gift shop. She volunteers there four days a month. I am a regular gym goer and usually go every day. I no longer am locked into going to the night classes, I can go during the day, which is great! Our local library is also a source of interesting things. They have weekly movies, and many other programs, some of which meet on a regular basis. I also meet up with a group of retired teachers once a month for lunch at different area restaurants.

I can honestly tell you that I have had no regrets about retirement. By the time I left, the stress and pressure of the job was getting to be too much, and the colleague I was closest to was retiring with me. You can still remain connected to the people you want by getting together (this will take work) and using outlets like Facebook. It won't be the same, but you will be forging new connections in your new life. I hope retirement will be as big a blessing for you as it has been for me. It is the BEST!
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

learnforever

The Joy of Retirement
Old 02-21-2019, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Congratulations! Just like other life transitions...college, first job, marriage, children, etc...retirement will be a new “normal.” You can be as busy as you want to be. I have found the freedom from the stress, grading papers, report cards, difficult parents, and commuting 2 hours a day has been wonderful. I love reading, walking, traveling with my husband, playing with my grandchildren, and just having space in my days to enjoy an unplanned activity or event. I will say that school relationships do fade...proximity and the new experiences and expectations your staff will share without you will create a distance. I made a list of retirement goals on my IPad...travel dreams, activities I’d like to pursue, books I wanted to read, museums I wanted to visit, etc. Plan a fun celebratory vacation for the first day of school next year...we went to Hawaii. You will be fine!
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote