Help

Kindergarten

star 360 early literacy test

>

Sbkangas5

star 360 early literacy test
Old 02-26-2019, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you have to give this test? Just wondering your experiences.

I hate standardized testing. I super hate it for kinders. We now have to give it 3x a year. We're having all of these meetings and trainings on using the data, what the scores mean, etc. I think they mean crap.

I even went so far as to email the company and question their scores and percentages. I've been getting non-answers that I will share with my admin.

Some of my favorite things. One of the questions has three street signs and asks which one tells how fast you can go. What is that assessing? Which of my kids has parents that talk to them as they drive? Which ones even have a car?

And there are multiple questions that say something like __ r s - which letter do you need. Seriously? We use common core and that isn't a standard anywhere.

And I really love when they are assessing a standard that starts with "with prompting and support..." when the test isn't giving a prompt or support.

Just venting a bit. Grrrr...

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-27-2019, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't use this test, but I feel you. I just had a conversation with our IC that my kids who are scoring ABOVE GRADE LEVEL aren't growing as much as my below grade level kids. "What interventions/how much intervention time are you using for the high kids?" Um...none? They are ABOVE GRADE LEVEL. They're FINE. They also don't have as much room to grow. "You need to teach all your kids." I do teach them, but they don't get intervention time. WTF? I focus my time on my Splenda. What in the world have we come to?

Quote:
One of the questions has three street signs and asks which one tells how fast you can go. What is that assessing?
WHO CARES IF A 5 YEAR OLD KNOWS TRAFFIC SIGNS???
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Hate it
Old 02-27-2019, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We had to do for the last few years and hated it!!! The results were 100% not accurate. I was chosen to sit in with a phone call with a representative from STAR360 and learned an alarming fact. They don't assess everything they say they do. Sometimes they will look at how a student answered a question and then from this answer assume how their abilities were on another topic. Anyone who teaches young kids know you can never assume!
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

We have to do NWEA's in K
Old 03-01-2019, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A few years ago they were given the test 3 times through the year. They were given laptops the first week of school(Many of them had never used a laptop...just mom's phone.) . No mice were provided. They had to figure out how to use the mousepad with their tiny fingers. Click and drag. Plus....the whole page did not fit on the screen so they were suppose to drag the screen UP so that they could push the enter button!!!!!!

They had headphones and had to listen to the directions. OMGoodness..it was awful!!!!

We now give it just in the Spring, so that they will have an ideas how to do it for next year.

I still hate it. It doesn't really test anything that 5 year olds do.
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

kindiesarefun

Old 03-05-2019, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use it and it's the worst! Your kids who score well during the first screening will suddenly bomb the next time because the test will be so much harder--they are expected to read whole paragraphs!
We have to use it to set student learning objectives as part of our teacher evaluation and it's literally impossible to predict how the children will do from one test to the next.
Terrible!

kindiesarefun is offline   Reply With Quote