Help

Retired Teachers

volunteering after retirement.....

>

dellminiwhite

volunteering after retirement.....
Old 03-11-2019, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I retired in June 2018, and I just started going back to my school to help out in some classes. I go once a week, sometimes twice a week. I enjoy it, but only spend about 30 to 40 minutes in a class, or divide my time between two classes, due to the recess schedule, etc.....

Does any one else volunteer in a classroom? Just wondering...the teachers do appreciate the little bit of help I give them, and I enjoy seeing my colleagues I worked with for so many years. I am also doing other fun things outside of school.

dellminiwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Old 03-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíve been retired since 2014. I just started helping in 2 classrooms this year. Itís perfect! Just an hour 3 times a week and if I need to miss itís ok! I get my kid fix without all the extra stuff.
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Volunteering
Old 03-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I volunteered for one of my grade level cohorts in math last year. A new math program had been adopted that encouraged self-pacing, and she was totally overwhelmed. I went in every day from Nov thru March and then tapered off as we were preparing to do state testing (my husband and I had been slated to administer those). She found her ďsea legsĒ and hasnít needed me this year. The sped dept asked me to administer some testing for them, so Iíve done that. I do get paid, but as with subbing, not much. The teachers who know me understand that Iím available whenever they need me.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Volunteering
Old 03-11-2019, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I waited a full year, now I work in a kinder room twice a week for an hour to an hour and a half twice a week.

Might cut down to one day a week next year. I am doing it for a friend of my DDs. Really donít miss being in the classroom.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: volunteering after retirement
Old 03-12-2019, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good morning to all-
I spent enough time in the classroom before I retired that I would not consider going back for free or for low-pay. And they don't print enough money at the mint to pay me to go back to full-time teaching again.
For those who enjoy doing the post-retirement classroom work, I appreciate and admire you for it.
But I ain't goin' back. I'm having too much fun in my new life.

good day to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 03-12-2019, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ed you took the words right out of my mouth! When I walked out the door 5 years ago, I was done. I had given everything I had to my classroom, kids, and admin. For those who are willing to go back, kudos to you. I know there are teachers who greatly appreciate you!

I do volunteer once a week at an after school church tutoring program. I have one student that I work with. This year it's a third grader from Uganda. I get to talk to other retired teachers and be around the kids, but one hour is enough for me.

I agree with Ed... I 'm having too much fun in my new life!
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Volunteering
Old 03-12-2019, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Count me in as one who is uninterested in volunteering at school. I spent many years teaching and was delighted to retire and say goodbye to the classroom. I know some people enjoy doing it, but it is not for me.

During political season I volunteer with political campaigns. It
allows me to pursue an interest I didn't have time for when I was in the classroom.

Last edited by travelingfar; 03-12-2019 at 06:15 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-12-2019, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I couldnít have said it better than Ed did. I am happily retired. I really truly loved teaching, but I donít want or need to be a teacher anymore. Life is full of opportunitiesóIím ready for new ones and have zero interest in hanging on to my old life.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

volunteering
Old 03-12-2019, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had always thought I'd go back and volunteer at my old school with math or reading support for 1st graders. The climate at my school has changed so much that I have no desire to go back. Retired in 2015.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Our state
Old 03-12-2019, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

has a crazy regulation after a teacher retires. They can not work for the district (as a sub or teacher assistant, etc) nor can they volunteer for 180 days. So, I did not go back until last year. I do the boat load of copying for both grade levels that I taught. I copy during the lunch periods so I socialize with my friends. We worked very closely together and had both professional and personal friendships.
My hobby is baking. I find it so soothing to bake. So, once a week I bring in baked goods for them. I have become very popular and my DH and I have managed to not gain weight.
I live only half a mile away. So, I go past the school almost every day.

Now, if I had a house pig to entertain me instead of two cats who seem to sleep 18 hours out of every 24 maybe I too would be too busy and happy to volunteer. (yes, I am still amazed and obsessed with the house pig)

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-12-2019, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I volunteered to help a new teacher with her k assessment but that was only for 3 hours. Now I voluntarily and happily watch my grandchild 3 days a week
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

NoMorePencils

Old 03-13-2019, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I volunteer at my old school once a week for a dear friend. I work directly with students as well as help out with copying. I enjoy it because it still lets me be a teacher and I get to stay connected to my friends and colleagues. I would never go back full-time (or even part-time). I donít sub either. Works out well for me.
NoMorePencils is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: house pig
Old 03-13-2019, 03:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Chipmunky-
We had a minor catastrophe here with said house pig last week.
She hung a small part of her right front hoof in the bars of her crate and broke a nail- you know how some "ladies" get when they break nails.
She squealed and hopped around and even bled a little bit.
She plays up every angle for attention, it seems.
Then, when we fed her grapes, her pain and suffering went away and things were great again. I thought about getting a new hat made up- a MPGA hat instead of a MAGA hat.
You know- "Make the pig Great again-
She'd like that, I think.
good day to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

thanks for the update Ed...
Old 03-13-2019, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I never believed in supernatural things like spirit animals until your last post. I think your house pig just might be my grand daughter's spirit animal.

You know how some ladies are about their nails. She has new fancy glittery polish all the time. She plays up every angle for attention, it seems. Then, when we fed her grapes (chocolate), her pain and suffering goes away and things are great again.

*My GD is probably not that much of an attentions seeker, but the rest of us don't want any attention AT ALL-ever, so she kind of stands out. Plus she never met an animal that she didn't want to make a pet out of, so that explains how the chickens all have names and personalities and wear little aprons and the rescued chipmunk became a pet lives in the house.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 03-13-2019, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I volunteer in the spring and fall in a kindergarten and first grade class a few times a week. In the winter, when I am here in Arizona, I volunteer to tutor kids in the children's home where we stay. I like working one-on-one with kids without the stress of running a classroom.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Old 03-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

From now on, let all my children be grandchildren!

I love kids and will consider volunteering with kids in some way outside of a classroom setting. But I am still discovering the newfound joys of retirement as this is my first year.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 03-13-2019, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have only been back to my school twice. I volunteer holding babies, which I absolutely love.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

After giving 30+ heartfelt years to education, I decided I to retire so I would have time to do things that I never had time to do while working. After retiring I only volunteered one day when they begged me to help chaperone a field trip to the zoo. Thats all and Ive never been back since. Time for me now.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

Not much
Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I moved to a new town after retirement, so the draw to see friend and colleagues is not there. I did volunteer in my new town and helped a teacher by teaching a reading group two times a week. I found that I was having to prep for it, and it was just not as enjoyable as I thought it would be. So... no I don't volunteer much and after trying it, that is ok with me.
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote