The VENT

Spilling it out

>

JustSayIt

JustSayIt

Spilling it out
Old 11-08-2019, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I wanted to be a bit more anonymous for this one.

I am an instructional coach. I have realized that suddenly when you're a coach, you're the enemy. Suddenly, people feel like you don't have it as hard as a teacher. Suddenly, you, your thoughts, and your feelings don't matter. At least this is the thought at my school. In reality, we work extremely hard just to be undermined by a P who wants to be liked by everyone. I can't even express how disappointed I am in this role and this school. All I hear is, "teachers don't want to do this", " teachers don't want to do that", "blah, blah,blah. Yet I have to answer to the district about why things look the way they do. And of course I can't throw anyone under the bus. So this makes me look incompetent. I'm so freaking tired! Until I got out of the classroom, I never realized how some teachers really acted. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to vent. Thanks.

ConnieWI

Your Reply to the Principal...
Old 11-08-2019, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"I have to answer to the district. I will be glad to let them know about your comments and your attitude, and then they can come and hold you responsible."

Turn around with a jerk and walk away!!

So sorry you are being treated so poorly.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Coaching
Old 11-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been on both sides of that coin. Overall, I disliked coaching because I couldn’t do it in a viable way. Higher ups wanted things to go x,y,z and I would say “but that’s not how a real classroom works.”

I quit as soon as was humanly possible.

And to be honest, I have disliked 90% of the coaching that was forced on me. Somebody in admin would get a bee in their bonnet that we all needed coaching in something that I was already rated highly proficient. Yet the fresh out of school cupcake came in with all these great ideas, most of which were already in place.

Long story short, it’s not always you, it’s the position. Coaches are told to ask for more work, more paper, more data, etc. when teachers are stretched to their limit.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-08-2019, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Every coach Iíve encountered has acted like a quasi-administrator with one exception. Unfortunately, that coach catches a lot of flack because experience has taught us as teachers to be wary of coaches.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-08-2019, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was a coach for three years and disagree that the position requires more work than a teacher assigned to a classroom of kids. NO. The position required me to sing the mantra of the d.o. no matter how poor the pd was designed. I was naive thinking that the position would be a chance to learn from the teacher as far as what she /he needed and then we would both learn from each other what would work for her/his class. The job turned into a gopher position for admin.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 11-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That job has to suck in a district that has teaching vacancies. It's their job to provide lesson plans for subs.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Justsayit

Justsayit

Still spilling....
Old 11-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Every position in a school has different responsibilities and challenges. I don't think anyone is working harder...we just work differently. I sometimes think that is the very mindset that causes a rift between colleagues. Yes, some people, in some schools, who change roles say that they don't work as hard after being out of the classroom, but that is definitely not my experience.

I'm just so drained. I want to do well and be supportive to teachers and students. I just feel like a waste of space.