Special Education

Severe and Profound Guidance

>

melt

Severe and Profound Guidance
Old 01-02-2018, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello.

As a SID/PID teacher of middle school students, I must teach and assess all academics addressing grade level standards.

Will you share how you teach academics to this population using age appropriate materials, etc.?

Thank You for this and any other help you may offer concerning the SID/PID program.

melt is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Curriculum
Old 01-03-2018, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district finally bought the ULS Curriculum for our large district. It is designed to teach student with moderate to severe/profound disabilities. There is monthly pre-testing and post-testing. It can be used on computers, laptops, basically any screen. I used it on the Smartboard most of the time. You can download and copy materials. There are also supplemental materials and recommended books/videos. All activities are aligned to CCSS, and have premade lesson plans. I think it's under $500/year for the subscription. I also incorporated OT, PT, and Speech goals within centers and my morning meeting and center time.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedinTx

Old 01-08-2018, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also teach severe and profound students. Look into active learning by Lillie Nelsein. It is a program designed to allow students explore their world in a meaningful way.

Grade level curriculum is taught using prerequisite skills with age appropriate materials. For example in Biology, before you can teach how a cell divides, the student needs to understand living and not living (what has cells and what does not have cells). An active learning station will be set up with living and non living items. Living would be plants, wood, pieces of fur, wool batting, ect, Non-living would be plastic, piece of nylon, toys, ect. The student will be allowed to self explore the items on his own to learn about the properties.

My high school students have made huge gains using this method, not so much academically but functionally. I have a student who began at 3 month old level is now scoring at 3 1/2 years.
SpedinTx is offline   Reply With Quote