Help

The VENT

Still No Job :(

>

JaySilver

Still No Job :(
Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, year two of searching for a job is coming to a close and I have yet to land a job here in KY. It sucks being $100,000+ in student debt and nothing to show for it. I'm not sure what to do now. I think I'm going to look into relocating. I'm thinking either Nevada or Colorado. It sucks being rejected.

JaySilver is offline   Reply With Quote

TrulyGretel

no job
Old 07-24-2017, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm here in FL one week before school starts, no job.
TrulyGretel is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 07-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I"m sorry to hear this for you both. If relocation is possible, I hope you'll be able to do it. Jobs are out there for sure!
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 07-24-2017, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've always heard Las Vegas is desperate for teachers. I know a couple of people who have gone there to teach. Signing bonuses too! Try it.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TrulyGretel

no teacher shortage
Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh,I'm sure there is a teaching job in FL here for me. Many positions are taken by those less qualified, to save money.

TrulyGretel is offline   Reply With Quote

JaySilver

Old 07-24-2017, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try someplace else. Las Vegas is an option. I don't know if people are being discriminative here or what. It's just not fair.

JanetL

Washington, the state,
Old 07-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

has been advertising on Facebook for teachers.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 07-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My district has several open spots if you want to relocate to the Midwest.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

JaySilver

Old 07-24-2017, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

After this school year, I'm willing to go wherever.

Savalitha

Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What are you certified to teach?

Savalitha is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-24-2017, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I see ads for teaching in Colorado all the time. Here in AZ, you can get a job but the pays sucks.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

FLSun

Old 07-24-2017, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Florida does have teaching jobs, just maybe not in the most ideal situation. I was offered a job by phone in Duval and Volusia counties. In more desirable districts, I think that new teachers have an advantage because they will forever be annual contract.
FLSun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

A couple questions...
Old 07-24-2017, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I remember you are wheel chaired bound.

Do the jobs have a requirement that you have to be able to lift X amount of weight or have some sort of no physical restriction clause? My latch key job and my teaching job had them.

The latch key job had a physical where I had to lift 30 lbs. I also had bend over, touch my toes. Lastly, get down into a squat and come up without holding anything. The teaching job (private school) had a no physical restriction requirement. If the kids went rollerskating, we had to skate too.
Or have a really good reason why not.

Having a disability makes job hunting hard. I remember how you wrote you did well in university and student teaching. It's a tough call to disclose. Do I not disclose, and take a chance they are aggravated when I show up, or disclose and make it easier to say nope before seeing me.

My RN friend is a paraplegic from an auto accident. She finally got a job reviewing charts. It's all computerized. No direct personal patients care involved. It took FOREVER. People saw her chair and thought she had brain damage. Some thought they thought they would be resonsible for her personal care (?). She finally found a hospital that didn't care about the chair, and was willing to do the few accommodations in the office.

I know you will get a teaching job, it's just hard to deal with other people's biases that they never tell you about.

Have you done any subbing? That alone should prove you can handle anything. (I can't remember if you did or not)

I found out where I live, there was 300 applications for a 5th grade position at my daughter's old elementary school. The job market is insane.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Here are vacancy lists for some of the districts in my part of Virginia:

https://careers.fcps.edu/vl/vacancy.htm

https://jobs.pwcs.edu/jobs/Jobpost.exe

https://apply.lcps.org/winocular/jobs/Jobpost.exe
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Western States
Old 07-24-2017, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

There are many available teaching jobs in Utah. Cost of living is reasonable, and it is a beautiful place. Many districts have raised wages this year.

Nevada also needs teachers, as does parts of Idaho. Not sure about the other neighboring states, but worth checking if you are willing to relocate.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 07-24-2017, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm so sorry friend. Relocating is always an option. I am so sorry this has been so difficult for you. It's so frustrating and I know you just want a stable job!
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

Old 07-25-2017, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

That is disappointing for those of you still looking. It is hard to know the reasons admin uses for not hiring. One of the best teachers I knew at a school(elem.) used a wheelchair, but not everyone is enlightened when it comes to differently abled people. My district in FL has also hired with just a phone interview. But, there are districts in FL that are much more selective and have more applicants. I wish you both well with your decisions and hopefully, teaching jobs. Some still hire after the school year starts, but it is so hard to wait.
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-25-2017, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It might be worth applying to different states and trying to Skype interview. Takes the chair out of the equation. We have hired people via skype interviews.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
We have hired people via skype interviews.
So have we (CO)! Quite a few, actually.

I can also talk to my brother for tips, if you would like! I mentioned him in your post on the Busy Board. He has been a quadriplegic for over 30 years. He now subs in Helena, MT. Teaching full time is just too tiring for him.

MT is also where he got his first job on an Indian Reservation, which opened up doors nearer to Helena, where he really wanted to be.

Let me know if you'd like me to ask him about difficulties, tips, etc.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

JaySilver

Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I remember you are wheel chaired bound.

Do the jobs have a requirement that you have to be able to lift X amount of weight or have some sort of no physical restriction clause? My latch key job and my teaching job had them.

The latch key job had a physical where I had to lift 30 lbs. I also had bend over, touch my toes. Lastly, get down into a squat and come up without holding anything. The teaching job (private school) had a no physical restriction requirement. If the kids went rollerskating, we had to skate too.
Or have a really good reason why not.

Having a disability makes job hunting hard. I remember how you wrote you did well in university and student teaching. It's a tough call to disclose. Do I not disclose, and take a chance they are aggravated when I show up, or disclose and make it easier to say nope before seeing me.

My RN friend is a paraplegic from an auto accident. She finally got a job reviewing charts. It's all computerized. No direct personal patients care involved. It took FOREVER. People saw her chair and thought she had brain damage. Some thought they thought they would be resonsible for her personal care (?). She finally found a hospital that didn't care about the chair, and was willing to do the few accommodations in the office.

I know you will get a teaching job, it's just hard to deal with other people's biases that they never tell you about.

Have you done any subbing? That alone should prove you can handle anything. (I can't remember if you did or not)

I found out where I live, there was 300 applications for a 5th grade position at my daughter's old elementary school. The job market is insane
Yes, Iím in a wheelchair. The job descriptions physical demands are the following: ďThe work is performed while standing or walking. It requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision, and hearing. The work requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations. The work at times requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching, with the ability to lift, carry, push or pull light weights.Ē However, because I have all the qualifications to be a teacher (education, passing test scores, and certification) they canít hold the physical demands against me.

Iím going to sub some this school year here until my wife graduates from college in May, and then weíre going to consider relocating.

JaySilver

Old 07-25-2017, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
I'm so sorry friend. Relocating is always an option. I am so sorry this has been so difficult for you. It's so frustrating and I know you just want a stable job!
Yeah, I'm considering it. I'll do whatever I have to do to teach and provide for my family.

JaySilver

Old 07-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
It might be worth applying to different states and trying to Skype interview. Takes the chair out of the equation. We have hired people via skype interviews.
That's one of the reasons I'm considering it in addition to the job market. Both Skype and phone interviews would help me out a lot. I would tell whoever hires me I'm in a wheelchair but not until I was offered a job

JaySilver

Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Quote:
So have we (CO)! Quite a few, actually.

I can also talk to my brother for tips, if you would like! I mentioned him in your post on the Busy Board. He has been a quadriplegic for over 30 years. He now subs in Helena, MT. Teaching full time is just too tiring for him.

MT is also where he got his first job on an Indian Reservation, which opened up doors nearer to Helena, where he really wanted to be.

Let me know if you'd like me to ask him about difficulties, tips, etc
That's awesome! I'm considering moving out there. My sister-in-law lives in Denver. What's your brother's injury level? I can't afford to just substitute, unfortunately. It doesn't pay well enough. Student-teaching wore me out, but it was because I had severe sleep apnea and a thyroid problem and was unaware. Now that I've been treated for both, I have too much energy

Yeah, ask your brother what adaptive equipment he uses and what accommodations were needed for him? Thanks so much!

eliza4one

Old 07-25-2017, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I'll text him right now and get back with you.

In order to keep his SS benefits, he can only make so much per year. Between that and the energy that teaching takes, subbing is a good option for him. He also has "side jobs"...a printing company, making things to sell at the local Farmer's Market, etc. He is the hardest working person I know. I so admire him. I also admire you for not giving up on your dream to teach!

His injury level was high enough to qualify him as a quadriplegic (don't know exactly which vertebrae was compacted (?)), but he did regain movement in his arms and hands, although his fine motor skills are lacking. His wife also subs and jointly owns the printing company and helps with the Farmer's Market projects.

Do you get a monthly SS benefit? Are there limits to how much $$ you can make? Just curious if everyone's situation is the same.

CO is wonderful! If you decide to relocate here, let me know. I'll fill you in on which county I'm in.

Best of luck to you and I'll get back to you!

JaySilver

Old 07-25-2017, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Quote:
I'll text him right now and get back with you.

In order to keep his SS benefits, he can only make so much per year. Between that and the energy that teaching takes, subbing is a good option for him. He also has "side jobs"...a printing company, making things to sell at the local Farmer's Market, etc. He is the hardest working person I know. I so admire him. I also admire you for not giving up on your dream to teach!

His injury level was high enough to qualify him as a quadriplegic (don't know exactly which vertebrae was compacted (?)), but he did regain movement in his arms and hands, although his fine motor skills are lacking. His wife also subs and jointly owns the printing company and helps with the Farmer's Market projects.

Do you get a monthly SS benefit? Are there limits to how much $$ you can make? Just curious if everyone's situation is the same.

CO is wonderful! If you decide to relocate here, let me know. I'll fill you in on which county I'm in.

Best of luck to you and I'll get back to you!
Yes, I get SS benefits. I get about $620 a month, which isnít enough to live off, so Iím not worried about losing them.

broomrider

Nevada teaching
Old 07-25-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

If you remain interested in teaching in Nevada, be aware that Clark County (Las Vegas & Henderson the two largest cities) starts this year on August 14 and Washoe Co. (Reno) on August 7. That's what it's been the last few years, so likely next year too.

This article has some information about Nevada student demographics and support for education, granting that schools have varying populations.

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...itutes/509099/
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

JaySilver

Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Thanks! I'll check it out!

eliza4one

Old 07-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

My brother responded via e-mail. I'm going to pm you.