Help

The VENT

Kind Classroom

>

Zulbi

Kind Classroom
Old 08-09-2017, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year my kids were very mean and nasty to each other. I am leaping with them this year. I am afraid I'll face the same situation again, (fingers crossed they matured a little lol) I was hoping to spend the first week on activities that teach kindness. I am finding community building activities that are like" get to know me" and I am looking for activities that will redirect their actions to "be nice, be kind". All ideas are welcome.

Zulbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

wwyd-IF's
Old 08-09-2017, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about having them work on what-would-you-do IF situations? Depending on the age level of students you teach, have them work in teams of 2 or 3 and act out scenarios based on:
1) Witness someone taking something from somewhere's without asking.
2) Heard something that you didn't like.
3) bullying incident.
4) tattling.
5) disrespect.

And then have other group of students respond through re-enactments of what they might do to make a situation/scenario better.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Have You Filled a Bucket Today?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a sweet story, all about how the only way to be happy is to have a full bucket. You fill someone's bucket by being kind, and by filling someone else's, yours fills up, too. It lets them focus on how it feels to be kind. My primary students really embrace this, and so do I!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

kindness
Old 08-09-2017, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Second the recommendation for bucket fillers.

At my school each teacher picks three "values" for their class. Mine are kindness, generosity, and loyalty. We talk about them all the time.

I read them lots of novels and stories about kind, generous people. My students were especially inspired by Elizabeth Fry.

I also like the idea of picking a random act of kindness each day for your students to carry out.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Yay buckets

Yay buckets

Yes bucket fillers
Old 08-09-2017, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am all for bucket filling; the book mentioned above and "How to be a bucket filler" are both great options.

Relate every misbehavior to

Be safe
Be respectful (kind)
Or
Be responsible. (do what you should be doing)

Ask them when they mess up if that was. .. (state one of the 3 things above)? Pretty much every behavior fits under them. Ask them what is a better choice. Perhaps find a "thinking sheet" for them to fill out for serious or repeated behavior problems.

Consider a calm down corner. Possibly yoga cards. Teach relaxation methods. Lots of things that can help. Also check out Responsive Classroom,as well as, Choice Theory.

linda2671

Community building
Old 08-09-2017, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I saw a video or something where the kids were given tongue depressors and snap cubes and were told to build bridges. The kids work together and figure out how to make their bridges. I thought it sounded like a great idea.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Go both ways
Old 08-09-2017, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love Fill the Bucket. There's a cute book.

Lot's of ideas on pinterest. I love the charts that show examples of what something looks like and doesn't look like. I'd do all of that and everything you have planned.

Then for the other way, ... I'd nail them hard. Some kids have to have to have consequences until they get the message that it's going to be your way or the highway.

I think a combination of explicit teaching with visuals and trinkets and some serious consequences will bring them in line.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

jml122

Depending on the grade
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you teach third or up, Wonder is an amazing book to teach kindness. There are a lot of amazing discussions and action that come from the book.
jml122 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

agree with Have You Filled a Bucket Today
Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I bought cheap buckets on oriental trading. I used numbers, so I could use each year. I looped from 3rd to 4th one year, and thought it may be too "primary" for 4th. Well, the students wanted them again!! They were very good at giving compliments etc.
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 08-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My third-graders were horrible to each other last year. So I started a game called the Kindness Ninja. Each week I picked 2-3 kids from class, who were given secret kindness missions (telling jokes, inviting someone to play, leaving kind notes, etc.) The rest of the class had to figure out who the ninjas were. They kept track of their "clues" on a big piece of paper. They would write down all the acts of kindness they had witnessed during the week. On Friday, the kids would vote on who they thought the kindness ninjas were.

It was really nice, because it prompted them to look for kindness in others. Also, some kids were being praised for kind acts, even though they weren't the ninjas. It was really popular!

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote