What are you eating for the first week of school? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What are you eating for the first week of school?

>

PEPteach

What are you eating for the first week of school?
Old 08-12-2017, 01:16 PM

I'm trying to do my menu planning. I want some EASY but HEALTHY lunches and dinners. I don't really want sandwiches for lunch, but I might resort to that due to crazier lunch times the first week of school.

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-12-2017, 01:21 PM

I have just been doing a protein drink(30 grams) and an apple for lunch all summer. I will probably stick with that. Easy peasy. I hate thinking about what to make and don't even want to think about dinners. Luckily it is just the 2 of us at home now, so it might not be a full dinner some nights
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Whatever comes in my GoodFood box .
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-12-2017, 01:47 PM

I did microwave soup and peanut butter sandwiches the first week. DH cooked supper every night since he doesn't go back until next week. We planned menus for the week today. I made some stuff for the freezer a few weeks ago. We will have spaghetti sauce, casseroles, turkey breast, and roast handy for quick meals.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

Old 08-12-2017, 02:35 PM

I usually take a Greek yogurt, fruit, and a muffin or Fiber type bar. That is my almost daily lunch!

teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 08-12-2017, 02:37 PM

I got a tip from a PT post about emeals. I joined (the first 2 weeks are free). For the first week of school we are having...

I chose the 30 minute meals - meal plan

1. Chicken finger nachos with lemon-honey fruit salad
2. Greek Quinoa Salad
3. Teriyaki Chicken and Veg with jasmine rice
4. Easy steak fajitas with mexican rice and spicy pinto beans
5. flounder with browned butter pan sauce with angel hair pasta and roasted asparagus
6. spice rubbed pork tenderloin with sweet and spicy sauce with asparagus with pecan and mashed sweet potatoes
7. one pot creamy beef and pasta with green beans with almonds and buttered crescent rolls (we had this one yesterday. We didn't actually like it.)

I think next week I am going to do the mediterranean e-meals menu. This week I chose 30 min meals because it was back to school. Tonight we are going out on a play date with my bestfriend and her husband and our kids. So we are going to have tacos. Tomorrow I am going to probably make the chicken finger nachos.

I joined e-meals and it's free for 2 weeks. So far I liked how easy it was .. the meal planning is the hardest part for me. E-meals does an awesome job taking that part away... however we didn't like the first meal.

I love making this..
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/18511/h...-casserole-ii/

I put ketchup with mine. I've also put chicken breast chunks too. My DH loves this recipe too.

Another good easy recipe I found in the Dinner Doctor is called Ham and Cheddar Not so impossible pie.

http://wegottaeat.com/mamaflee/recip...impossible-pie

I love that recipe because you can put anything you want in it. Its like an omelet. I use the basic recipe and add deli ham, onions, american cheese. Or you can add broccoli, salmon and chives, or make it mexican.. sausage and cheese.

Lunch is always a salad. Have you ever watched any of the domesticgeeks videos on youtube? I linked her back to school playlist for you. She's amazing. She has like 30 videos for back to school lunches and salads. They are ALL so healthy and super amazingly easy. She's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lQQoiBuVJ8gkno
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Our first week was last week. For lunches I just bought in different ready-made salads every day: https://www.readypac.com/our-brands/bistro/

They're only 2-3 dollars each, I can have more variety than if I made them myself (and had to use up certain ingredients), and it requires 0 prepping on my part!

For dinner I made these easy tostadas: http://www.emilybites.com/2011/08/15...-tostadas.html

Those lasted me for three nights; on Thursday I stopped and got a sandwich for dinner and yesterday I went to a party at a friend's house.

I also just had a mix of healthy and tasty snacks to get me to my 1200 calories each day (currently tracking on MFP), mostly fruit and chips .
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-12-2017, 03:22 PM

My kids' lunches are roast turkey sandwiches with Swiss, heavy on lettuce and tomato, with strawberries, hummus and pita chips.

My lunch is either cottage cheese and almonds, or frijoles.

We cooked several meals today; we will have brand new leftovers all week:

• machacha
  • barley risotto with greens & beans
  • Spanish pork loin (in the crock pot as we speak) with leftover barley risotto
  • turkey burgers with spinach and feta
  • smoked chicken quarters
We always have frijoles to fill in any gaps. Don't like dinner? Have beans!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

School Lunch
Old 08-12-2017, 05:58 PM

I always have a veggie salad and a handful of almonds for lunch. The makings of the salad varies but starts with Romain and spinach, cucumber, and tomato. I make 5 salads on Sunday night and bring them to school Monday morning to have for each day. I keep a variety of dressings in my school fridge as well. Since they are already there I don't even have to think about it in the morning. Easy.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote