How to compensate my pet sitter for this..... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

How to compensate my pet sitter for this.....

>

Ruby07

How to compensate my pet sitter for this.....
Old 08-13-2017, 04:50 AM

We just returned from a 2-week vacation in Europe. While we were gone, my dog went to my ex's house (he and his girlfriend love my dog, and it's FREE !), and I hired my fabulous pet sitter to check in on my cat every 2-3 days. We've done this before, for short and long trips, and it's always worked out fine.

But this time, 9 days into our trip, our cat passed away (she was 15, but we thought she was in good health when we left). The pet sitter, who is also a vet tech, took care of EVERYTHING. She respected our wishes and took the kitty to the vet to be buried, and paid for it up front. She took a paw print and made a beautiful note card for us. She cleaned out the litter box and put it away with the food dishes, washed bedding, etc.

I'm going over to her home today to repay her for the vet bill, and to also pay her for everything she did above and beyond what I paid her for.

What do you think would be appropriate? An extra $50? $100? To put things in perspective, she charges only $10 a visit to check in on my animals while I'm gone ("checking in" includes playing with, taking outside if necessary, refreshing water bowls, filling food dishes and scooping litter boxes).

I really don't know how to thank her for this.

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-13-2017, 05:04 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. She really went above and beyond the call of duty didn't she? I would have no idea how much to give her. I think at least $50, but I'm also wondering what others think.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

Old 08-13-2017, 05:41 AM

I would probably give her $100 extra. It was good that you had someone so caring to help with your loss. It sounds like she went above and beyond, which must help with your grief.
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Abbigal

A lot for her to handle
Old 08-13-2017, 05:47 AM

I'm sorry for your loss.

Considering the emotional feelings that she most likely experienced finding your sweet cat, informing you, taking care of all the other things... handling all of this by herself... I would certainly do more than $50. That was a lot for her to handle, emotionally. Seems like she treated your cat as she would have treated her own cat. She went above and beyond in everything she did.
Abbigal is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 AM

Above and beyond, that is for sure! I would compensate with something other than cash. Gift cert to her favorite restaurant inside a card with a nice note. If you can afford more than $50 that would be great, but I think 50 would be fine.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

That's tough
Old 08-13-2017, 06:10 AM

I am so sorry about the loss of your sweet kitty. I am fortunate that isn't something my pet sitters haven't had to deal with. My mom was visiting this summer and brought her 2 little dogs. We went on a road trip with my sister. I paid $10/visit for my dog and cat and added $50 at the end for her 2 little dogs. With all your sitter did, I would add another $100. She went well above what pet sitters are usually tasked to do.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 08-13-2017, 07:05 AM

I am also very sorry for you loss. I would buy her a card and write a note of appreciation (I think I might be too teary to say much). I think anything you do will be fine, I am sure she understands how much you valued her help. I do like the gift card idea or actual gift if you know what she likes.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

gift card
Old 08-13-2017, 07:20 AM

I also like the gift card idea. I would make it to a restaurant that she would never go to unless it's a special occasion. You already are giving her cash for her services so the gift card means a little bit more (in my opinion). I'm sorry for the loss of your sweet kitty.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 08-13-2017, 07:57 AM

I am so sorry for your lost, especially since it happened while you were away. I like the idea of mixing up the gift with a certain dollar amount and something extra like flowers or treating her to something special for her that you know she might appreciate (manicure, hair, or spa treatment). You know your budget and her personality. It's not really the dollar amount, but just a thank you. Consider the cost to her such as gas if she had to go great distances to take care of things for you. It is wonderful that she was there for you.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-13-2017, 12:28 PM

I am sorry for your loss.

I think that $100 is perfect whether its cash or a gift card.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote