Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Pt docs, vertigo questions

>

knitting987!

Pt docs, vertigo questions
Old 07-27-2017, 06:52 PM

I finally got rid of it. Now I have questions. How do I prevent it from returning? What exercise is safe and won't bring it back? I can't find much on line to tell me. Only it may return. Don't want that so need info. Thanks if you know the info, please share.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 07-27-2017, 06:56 PM

I don't know if there's anything you can do to prevent vertigo but I think doing the exercises at the first sign of feeling dizzy has helped me. I'm glad it's over for you...it's no fun.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

the worst :(
Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 PM

I experienced that for the first time this summer and it was truly awful- I didn't know what was going on when it hit! I had DD drive me to emergency because it was so bad it was making me ill (like motion sickness). They gave me a large packet of exercises and said to do them when I felt the symptoms. They also said that vertigo is always a secondary condition- so unfortunately there's not much you can do .
I hope it has left you for good!
illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 07-27-2017, 07:20 PM

I guess I'm wondering if gym classes are bad with jumping and then floor exercises?

MAsped

Old 07-27-2017, 07:23 PM

I think I started getting it for the first time in my life around May and quite regularly since then. I've been told pairing ginger with gingko biloba may work OR taking magnesium.

I went to the dr and she prescribed Meclizine, which I took pretty much as directed for a few days and either that helped OR I also took Reservatrol, which could have helped too. So I've been feeling good for the last few days in a row. I haven't taken any exercises...yet.

I have no idea what's been causing this dizziness, but I'm trying to narrow down what's helping.

MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-27-2017, 07:30 PM

DH has it quite often and I do every now and then. You really cannot prevent it as far as I know. We keep non-drowsy and regular Dramamine on hand at all times and take one at the first sign of it. That is all I know to do.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 07-27-2017, 08:11 PM

I got it like a tornado in the night. Dh took me to er. They said vertigo. I saw the pt and she fixed it with Eply maneuver. Took several visits.

I'm just afraid to do kick again. I do love it. I think I'll wait a week.

I maybe drank an extra glass or two night before I got it.

Snicklesnack

Vertigo
Old 07-28-2017, 02:36 AM

Did the doctor check your ears? My daughter has had vertigo twice, and both times the doctor found quite a bit of wax in her ears. Doctor cleaned it out and she was immediately better. It was amazing. He said she can prevent wax formation by putting a drop of mineral oil in her ears every day. I found it on Amazon labeled as "ear oil"
Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote

Riverside

Old 07-28-2017, 04:12 AM

I have had vertigo several times throughout the years. I have found that Flonase and Allegra allergy meds help me. I feel dizzier when my ears start feeling blocked. No real cure. I also have a prescription for antivert. Not sure if that helps or not. At least it makes me sleepy. Good luck. It's horrible!
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

head back and forth
Old 07-28-2017, 05:26 AM

I was told to shake your head to one side, then back quickly.(like you have a ponytail and are swinging it from side to side) Dr. said this helps with the crystals in the ears that can cause it. I also take the RX, but not sure how much it helps. Sometimes I hold my nose and blow(like on an airplane). It is annoying. My mom had to go to a clinic for relief. I know there are different types-it is no fun.

teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

I had it
Old 07-28-2017, 06:16 AM

a few years ago. NOT FUN! My doctor prescribed Meclizine too. I didn't like how the meds made me feel. So I only took one dose.

The doctor told me it was caused by crystals in the some canal(I forget) near your ear. The crystals(that keep you balanced) sometimes get stuck and that's what causes the dizziness. He told me to rest for a few days. So....I sat on the couch for a few days but when I went back to work, I felt like I was riding in a boat. It took me over a week to feel normal. Once in a while it returns but it goes away pretty quickly. I was doing Zumba at the time. Which I love but now, I don't turn around or spin!!!!

When it first hit, I threw up, fell down and just felt awful! I wouldn't wish it on anyone!
SeaGlass is online now   Reply With Quote