Help

Fourth Grade

Wordle- do you use this?

>

petlover

Wordle- do you use this?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use wordle.net with their 4th graders? I just visited the site and tried it out. I am thinking of having my 4th Graders create a wordle with their name and 5 words (nouns or verbs) that are important to them. This would be a "get to know you" activity that would create a bulletin board or room display.

I followed some directions I found on the internet (somewhere)...type your Name 10 times, then pick 5 more words about you (I picked "reading, family, cats, boating, yoga") then I typed each of these words in order of importance to me. So, Reading was typed 5 times, Family 4 times, Cats 3 times, Boating 2 times, Yoga 1 time. This created a WORDLE with my name really big then each of the other 5 words were each smaller and surrounded my name. I thought kids could do this in the Computer Lab with me doing one at the same time on the front board (so they could follow).

I also found that if you double right click on the Wordle picture, then the words show up in "outline" - so that after printing, the kids could color the wordle. (Saves on color printing).

Has anyone else used Wordle.net with their 4th graders? If yes, what else did you do? How did you use it?

Last edited by petlover; 07-20-2010 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: typo
petlover is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't used it yet, but I was thinking of doing the same thing as you! I thought I might display their Wordles in the hallway and then display art projects throughout the year under them.

I also thought it would be neat to use for a spelling activity. Type all of your words into Wordle. Then, using the outline format, write the letters inside each letter. For example, if the word is "response", write an "r" inside the Wordle's "r".
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

wordle
Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Be careful with that site. My friend used it in her classroom, with the projector, and some cuss words popped up in the wordle!

I don't remember the details, but I remember making a mental note to never use that site in my class!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

slooper

One of my favorites
Old 07-20-2010, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use this all the time. My favorite use is using it to summarize concepts. We've also used it in reading to determine the most important words in a non-fiction passage. After creating a wordle with those words from all of the students, students create a written summary.

You do have to be careful with the site. I do not allow students to browse the gallery - that is where you will find the inappropriate language.
slooper is offline   Reply With Quote

laketime

Old 07-20-2010, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use wordle and love it! I use it as one of the ways for students to edit writing and looking at word choice. The words that are used most often the larger words and maybe there's a better choice of words to use.

laketime is offline   Reply With Quote

Turtlesrule

Teacher next door
Old 07-20-2010, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I personally don't use wordle's or I haven't yet, but the teacher in the room next to me does them. She did them for each child as an end of the year gift. She got the parents involved in selecting the words to go around each kids name. We also did them for our principal by having each kid in our grade level come up with a describing characteristic of them. I think I might try it as the beginning of the year activity like Cheri suggested.
Turtlesrule is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherInVA

Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just tried to use it because I liked the idea, and after I typed all my words and pressed "Go" my whole internet browser shut down. I tried AGAIN, and the same thing happened. Has this happened to anyone else?
TeacherInVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Room205

Love it!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had the kids create a list of 10 things that describe themselves. We then typed them into MS Word (that way they didn't have to keep retyping them if there were changes to be made!) and then copied and pasted it into wordle. We printed and laminated them and they became covers for their portfolios.

I love the ideas presented here, and think I will be "borrowing" a few of them this year!
Room205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I enjoyed using it last year. I had the students make a wordle about a story they were reading--all the inventions listed in their story about Ben Franklin. They had to decide which ones were the most important and then pick a favorite. Ben's name was the largest. The students enjoyed the activity. It was done in the computer lab with the lab instructor and myself to manage my class.
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote

sci.chick.330

wordle
Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use this with my kids at the beginning of the year. We each create one and print one and use it to decorate the cover of the kid's interactive notebook. It adds great personalization and the kids love it!

sci.chick.330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Wordle
Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have used it before as an introduction to my class at the beginning of the year. I put it on my Smart Board.

I would agree to caution when using it with your students. It is a WONDERFUL idea but I have noticed wordles that come up in the samples with cuss words.

To adapt, you might want to create a type of form for students to write the adjectives they would like to use to describe themselves. You can then ask a parent volunteer to type them up and create them for the students or you could do it yourself if you have time. Just a suggestion.
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

stormluvr

LOVE wordle!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Last year I created a huge list of verbs and adjectives, all positive, that could be used to describe others. The students then picked a word to describe each of their classmates. I gave each student their list of words and they created a wordle with it. I had them do their name the largest, then descriptive words that had been used more than once the next largest. The kids loved it - and were so proud of how their classmates saw them. I heard several parents framed them.
stormluvr is offline   Reply With Quote

petlover

describing list
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Would the list you mentioned (adjectives and verbs) happen to be on one document that you would be willing to share? I'd love to do the activity you mentioned - and if you are willing to share your list document (that would be a BIG time saver for me). Thanks.
petlover is offline   Reply With Quote

froggy4

Wordle
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks for all the great ideas. I heard about Wordle but never got around to using it. This would be great to help decorate their Writer' Notebooks and all of the other ideas that have been shared. Thanks!
froggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I use it with my science and social studies content vocabulary words. I call it guess the wordle or wordle of the week. For example, a wordle with the words grains, fruits, vegetables, meat, and milk would be about the 5 food groups. I like posting these on my class website along with a form for kids to fill out guessing the wordle for bonus points.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cap57

Old 07-20-2010, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I used Wordle as a getting to know you activity, similar to petlover described, last September. We did them in computer lab and students had a template of information to fill out with information about themselves. I printed them in color, landscape-style, then mounted them at the top of 12x18 construction paper. On the bottom, I had a photo of each kid on one side, and a paragraph that they wrote in cursive, describing their Wordle on the other side. They came out great, and we displayed them at our Open House.
Cap57 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachergal09

Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I tried to double right click to turn it into an outline and it wouldn't do anything. Am I doing something wrong?
teachergal09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Cap57
Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thanks for sharing that great idea! Love it. I can't wait to use it. I also like the idea of using it to decorate their writer's notebooks.
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

powellstarkey

previewing a text
Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have used it by creating one myself, and making several copies of it, and posting it ouside my classroom. After I did this I put students in groups of 2 or 3 and they tried to predict what they thought the selection would be about with their group or partner. Once they did that we came back into the classroom and students shared their predictions. This is a great way to get their minds activated for what you are about to read, and it was something my students were not used to as far as when a teacher introduces a new selection or topic.
powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

momof5

Kids Love Wordle
Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I use it at the beginning of the year by having kids brainstorm words that describe themselves- 20 to 30 words or phrases. They then place 2 stars next to the top 10 and 1 star by the next 10. I explain how to make a word larger- by typing it repeatedly. I show them how to change fonts and grayscale and position. There are a few students who need help, but I let them help eachother. We then mount them on the color of their choice (think favorite), laminate and hang them out for Open House. Parents have to guess which one belongs to their child!
momof5 is offline   Reply With Quote

cteach4

Old 07-21-2010, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have also used wordle to have students describe themselves. I have them type the words in a word document and then copy and paste. The students loved changing the font, color, and shape of their wordle.
cteach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cherrie28

wordle
Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I use it to copy and paste documents such as the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution. The students can then see what the big ideas are, as they show up as the largest words. Could be fun to even have them guess what those words might be beforehand!
Cherrie28 is offline   Reply With Quote

stormluvr

PetLover
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

My list is on myschool computer . . . and I won't be there for another 3 weeks, but when I do get into my room, I'll post it then. Hope that works for you!
stormluvr is offline   Reply With Quote

sarahbeevw

wordle
Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I used this last year for Valentines for my class last year with each student's name in it. Loved it!
However, my intention was to save it as a JPEG and send it to snapfish. The wordle website won't allow you to save it as a JPEG so I had to jump through all kinds of crazy hoops to get these printed. If you want to print these on a regular printer it takes a bunch of ink.
It is cool to get the kids to type a short story in it and then it comes out as a cool poem. It is a great main idea lesson.
sarahbeevw is offline   Reply With Quote

AussieBird

Old 07-24-2010, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

teachergal09: to make hollow letters, you simply double left click on your completed Wordle cloud.

There is no need to repeatedly type words to increase their size. Just go to "Advanced" , type the word you want, then a colon, then the number size you choose e.g., JOHN:200, JOE:150, Breanna:100. John will come out the largest on the word cloud in this example. Just have a go to find the best numbers for you, according to how many words you want in the cloud.

You can save your Wordle as a jpeg file this way :
* use the snipping tool if you have Word2010
otherwise take a screen shot and copy it onto Word and crop off excess
and resize
*copy word cloud onto a powerpoint slide, resize to fill the slide, and save this as a jpeg file instead of a Powerpoint presentation ( 'save as type' drop down list ).
A very quickly made jpeg file example is attached.

Tagxedo (http://www.tagxedo.com/) has a nice heart shape for a valentine word cloud.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by AussieBird; 07-24-2010 at 07:12 AM..
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkids7

Thanks..
Old 07-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

for all the great ideas.
teachkids7 is offline   Reply With Quote

aeiouteach

Wordle
Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I used it with my class last year. They created their own wordle by typing their names and nicknames 10-12 times and then words to describe themselves, things they liked, favorite color, etc. We printed them on the color laser printer after they decided on a design they liked. There are TONS of options. The design changes every time you click on "randomize". We hung them in the hallway for Open House. I secretly printed a copy of a different random design for each of my students and framed them in 8 x 10 frames from the local Dollar Tree. I gave them for Christmas gifts to each student. It's also a great way to practice spelling words or for a Mother's Day gift.
aeiouteach is offline   Reply With Quote

myminismiles

Spelling!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

In our school it is mandatory that we give spelling tests and I am completely opposed to it so I decided to give Wordle a shot! They had to type their words into Wordle and print them out and then they were able to go back and see what mistakes they made. They had a blast doing it and it made spelling tests not so painful for us all.
myminismiles is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsg1

Wordles on the Oregon Trail
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

We were introduced to the Wordle site last year.
I made a Wordle of words that described the Oregon Trail and the students tried to figure out what they had in common and their significance on the trail.

I will be using it for back to school for them to describe themselves for our 4th grade bb.
I love the idea of framing them for a Christmas gift. Thank you for that.

Also thank you for the tips for altering.
mrsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote