Help

Fourth Grade

Book Sign Out

>

mushyk

Book Sign Out
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an extensive library in my classroom that students are allowed to use. It is the honor system - they take a book to read and when they are done, they return it.

However, I have lost a lot of books this year. In a way I don't mind b/c I figure they like the book so maybe they will read it again. But on the other hand, I use my own money to buy them and it's a matter of funds to replace them.

I would like to incorporate some kind of sign out system that is easy and takes little time. I've tried cards in the books and a sign out sheet but they haven't really worked so I gave up on them.
Does anyone have something they use that they would share?

mushyk is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACH1

Google Docs
Old 07-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not sure if this is what you're looking you for. I've been using Google Docs for the past few years and I love it. I created a form. Students select their names from a list then type in the book title and book bin number. My students are expected to check out their books (if they need to) in the morning because reading time is just that---reading time, not look for a book time. I have an extensive library as well and this has worked out great!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
TEACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote

beckabee

Teach1
Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do your students use the form on-line? Was it hard to set up? Would love to do this. I also use a honor system, but last year I lost a lot of books too. This sounds great.
beckabee is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACH1

Beckabee
Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, it's online. I have the icon set up on my classroom computers. No, it was SUPER EASY to set up---7 minutes max once I make sure I have spelled all of my students' names correctly. ***Time does not include figuring out the background ***

beckabee

Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much, I'm going to figure it out and use it this year. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by beckabee; 07-10-2011 at 08:04 PM..
beckabee is offline   Reply With Quote

orcas

Student Helper
Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In September I have my kids apply for jobs for the year with one of the jobs being Librarian. The Librarian's job is to reshelve the books and to keep track of the books that have been checked out. If someone has a book out for too long, they give the child a reminder slip. It helps as the Librarian tends to be more on it than I can be.
orcas is offline   Reply With Quote

bhewlettKin

Directions for setup
Old 07-11-2011, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Teach1- I love this checkout system. Would love directions on how you set this up! I had a lot of lost books this year.
Becky
bhewlettKin is offline   Reply With Quote

ViolaSwamp

orcas
Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love the idea of having kids apply for jobs! Do you have an official application? How to do you set it up? Do they keep their jobs for the year?

Thanks for sharing this idea!
ViolaSwamp is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACH1

Easy as Pie :)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is how you set it up once you access our Google Docs account:
2 Steps-
Form

If you want to edit: When it shows the spreadsheet, click on Form (this is right above your cells). Then click on Edit Form.

Century46

Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a tray with index cards for kids to take and jot down the books, and location-bins they got the books. Then, I have classroom librarians that take care of the library. I have jobs for every possible job in my classroom with an extensive application, and interview process. They keep the jobs for all year (sometimes two years -- I loop 4/5). They get paid and then use funds for various things, including an auction on the last day of each trimester (we are year round so have three).

We go over the procedures at the beginning of the year and sometimes need a refresher. I don't worry too much about losing some books, though...it happens. I encourage all students and their families to donate to the library, so most years I end up with many more books than I lose. I even have a "wish list" in my newsletter that many parents help with. In addition, upon their graduation from 5th grade, we often get books and have plate for kids to put their name in for a reading legacy.

Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

stmforever

Thanks for Google tips
Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Just made my own book check out with the Google forms, so easy!
Can't wait to use it next year!
stmforever is offline   Reply With Quote

mushyk

Old 07-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Awesome, thank you for the great suggestions... I think I might try the google docs way and see how it goes!
mushyk is offline   Reply With Quote

BookWorm77

Google Check-Out
Old 07-11-2011, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow! Using Google docs to check out books is such a great idea! I've had the exact same problem as mushyk and just haven't known how to stop the "book bleeding"! This is perfect because I think the novelty of going to the computer to check out a book will get students to actually do it, rather than "forgetting" to sign out a book on their cards and just wandering off with a book.

Thanks for the great idea, TEACH1!!
BookWorm77 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunsets11

Old 07-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Can I have some more information about this google doc idea? Do kids need to log in? I'm not really familiar with the whole idea...

I will figure it out, I'm sure, but what do the kids need to do when they sign out a book? Is it just click on an icon and then type in the information?
sunsets11 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Google docs
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

so it's just a basic google form, and they just submit the information each time... but doesn't that give you a HUGE spreadsheet??

I went "old school" and made library cards and our librarian ordered some library pockets for me... and they just take out the card, sign it, and give it to me... I keep them filed in the box the pockets came in (recycle, reuse).
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mammajam

Google Docs
Old 07-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I set up a form, was able to go in and fill out the form, it said, "Thanks, your response has been recorded", but when I looked at the spreadsheet, it did not have the questions I put in or the info that I had filled out. what am I doing wrong??
mammajam is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACH1

Mammajam
Old 07-11-2011, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

That's interesting...I've never had that problem before. Is this the spreadsheet you looked at when you went into your Google Docs account? Is this the first time you've used Google Docs? I'm just wondering if you accidentally clicked on another form in your account.

stmforever

mammajam
Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

That same thing happened to me. Look at it again there is a way to change the form. There is an option that says Live form, and that's the one with the boxes.
stmforever is offline   Reply With Quote

whtdaisies

Teach1
Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Thank you for sharing your Google Docs idea! I just made mine!
whtdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

eedie

Paint Stirrers Book Markers
Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This past year I went to Home Deport and they donated 100 paint stirrers to me. I spray painted them all white and the first day of school I let the kids write their names and decorate the stick. They sat in a bucket by the classroom library. When they had to check out a book, they had to write it on a form as well as put their paint stick where the book was. This helps me because at a quick glance I can look over at the shelf and in a few seconds tell exactly who has a book out. Also, it helps keep my books organized! And hey - it was free!
eedie is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Here is the one I use...
Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I don't use an online form as this is easier--my kids would use any excuse to use the computer and would check out books all day long in that case.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Book Check Out-- 2011-2012.docx (30.8 KB, 124 views)
whatever is online now   Reply With Quote

Anne of GG

Another Idea
Old 07-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I tried this system last school year and loved it! I was tired of books missing or being destroyed in previous years. With this system, I had all of the books returned and in great shape by the end of the school year. The children were awesome by taking care of the books and coming to me when a page fell out from the older books, so it could be fixed. The children loved the variety of books and series that I was able to get for the library.

I went to Walmart's paint department and asked for some paint sticks. They were free. I wrote the #1-25 on the sticks, so that I don't have to get new sticks year after year. The child will place the number stick in place of the book that they check out. I wrote the titles of each book on index cards and drew four columns, so it makes it easier for a child to only write their name and then place the index card into a numbered library pocket on located on the side of the bookshelf. These are two easy ways to tell who has a book out.

I make a big deal about the classroom library by making it very appealing with books that are not in the school library. I tell the children that I use my own money and accumulated points from book orders to fill the classroom library. I tell them that I want them to enjoy the books because I put a lot of time and effort into making the 300+ index cards and stickers for the books. They know that family time is important to me, and when I have taken my family time to make something special for them, they are more willing to take care of the books. I also have a parent and student classroom library contract which ensures that the child is willing to take care of the books.

When I get an order from Scholastic, the children are so excited to know what books I ordered. I will take the last ten minutes of the day and show off the books and read the titles. I tell the children that I have to make the title cards and place the AR stickers to determine what reading level the book is in, and then they will be placed on the shelf. The children get so excited the next day that they go to the shelf and check out the books. They want to be the first one to read the book. I also, do the same with any book that I get from a used book store or yard sale.

I have the parent and student sign a contract for using the classroom library, and they know that if the rules are not followed the child loses the privilege of using the classroom library. This contract stays in the library pocket, so I know who is using the library. The rules for the contract are:
1. Take care of the book like it is one of your prized possessions that you do not want anyone to touch.
2. The number stick is not a toy. Do not draw/write on the stick or hit anyone with it.
3. Check out only one book at a time.
4. Take your number stick and place it where you have taken the book out.
5. Fill out the index card and place it in the appropriate number pocket.
6. When finished with the book, replace the card behind the front cover of the book.
7. Replace the book to the appropriate place on the shelf.
8. If you are not checking out a book, place your number stick in the container on the shelf.
9. If the book is damaged or lost, then you are responsible for replacing the book.
10. I allow only one time to trade in a book for another book.

If the rules are not followed, your child will no longer be able to check out books from the classroom library. They may continue to check out the maxium limit of books (10) in the school library.
Anne of GG is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Love Google Checkout
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

OMG... I love this!! I got all four of them made, and tested them. I can't WAIT for my kids to use this... they will LOVE it!!

To have some control of it, I'm putting the links on my netbook - that way I can select a "librarian" each week for my older kids, and they can check in and supervise the checkout... for my little ones, I can be "librarian."

thank you so much for this idea, TEACH1!!!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Book Sign out
Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I just use the attached sheet. I place them in a binder, and the kids sign out the book,and when they're done with it, they place it in the return box. I do not allow them to put the books back, so it's easier to keep the books organized.

If I have multiple copies, I train the kids to put the number of the book next to the title.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Book_Sign_Out.pdf (154.1 KB, 81 views)
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

alynn6880

Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I love the Google Docs! I think my kids will really enjoy having a computerized check-out. I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind helping me! How did you get to put in the kids names so you have a drop down menu? I don't see the option for that. Also, how do you know when they return the books? Do you just have them go back in and re-enter the same information with the return date? I am so excited to use this in my classroom, but I just can't figure these things out
alynn6880 is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACH1

Alynn
Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

There should be a Choose From List option when you edit the question type.

I have a Class Librarian (my students apply for jobs). This person gets the updated spreadsheet created from the checkout system and returns the books in the correct bin and also puts in the Check-In date on the computer.

alynn6880

Old 07-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Ok, so they just enter the date on your spreadsheet, they don't just enter it on the form? That makes more sense to me now, you have it on the form so that it is an option on the spreadsheet, am I understanding correctly? Thank you for your help on this, it is a really great idea!
alynn6880 is offline   Reply With Quote

educ8ter

Teach 1
Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I love your idea of using Google Docs as a book check out. I made the document....but how do you make the form available on a student computer in the classroom? What do you mean when you say you have the icon set up on the computer? I appreciate any help you can give me (I'm technically challenged).
educ8ter is offline   Reply With Quote

Jayneorama

No real checkout system here
Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Although I could check reading logs to see what classroom books are in whose hands, I don't do a checkout system.

Since student desks are notorious for having things (like my books) shoved to the back and squished and ruined, classroom books may not be kept in student desks.

Instead, I give each student a laminated bookmark with his or her class number on it. They choose their book from the classroom library, and in between readings, use their numbered bookmark to mark their place, and keep it in bins/baskets that are on top of our bookshelves. That makes sure that one book must be put away before another book is taken, and that none of my books go MIA or get ruined in student desks.

Sure, someone could still steal a book, but I think most classroom books are honest losses - students lose track, lose them in their desks, etc. I couldn't be sure if I was missing any books at the end of the year or not, but I have no more room on my shelves than I did at the beginning of last year.
Jayneorama is offline   Reply With Quote