4th grade teacher starting out Daily 5 - wanna brainstorm? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fourth Grade

4th grade teacher starting out Daily 5 - wanna brainstorm?

>

50yardliner

4th grade teacher starting out Daily 5 - wanna brainstorm?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know the Peony room is Daily 5 talk, but I want to specifically brainstorm with another 4th grade teacher if possible!

Please respond if interested or PM me.

50yardliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lovewords

I would
Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

like to brainstorm - I'll be starting it also!
Lovewords is offline   Reply With Quote

ellen

I'm third
Old 07-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but I would like to talk with upper grade teachers. My biggest problem is I won't get a schedule until next Wed. or so and the kids start thursday. So I don't know what time frames I'll have in my room.
ellen is offline   Reply With Quote

New Mex Teacher

Count Me In
Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will be starting this for the firs time this year and would loe to brainstorm.
New Mex Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lovewords

my first thought
Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

is to start Read to Self on day 1. In the past, I have always started with independent reading anyway. In fact, I was thinking of calling it that instead of read to self. I like the parts of Daily 5 that involve the modeling and the I chart, but I may modify what the students can do to read a book (such as maybe not read the pictures, etc.). I also had asked other PTers about the book bins and "pre-filling" before school starts. I got some great ideas, such as filling a basket for each table and then later, after teaching "good fit" books, letting them fill individual baskets.

Lovewords is offline   Reply With Quote

50yardliner

filling book bins
Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good idea. I saw someone's lessons plans and their morning work on Mon. incorporated filling their book box. I think I'd like to move towards that as well.
50yardliner is offline   Reply With Quote

leonsicecream

I am in...
Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I haven't read the book but have printed out and read a lot about it and just not quit sure how to fit it in with our Treasures Series. We start Monday and I am going to start with Read to Self.
leonsicecream is offline   Reply With Quote

sara618

Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'd love to brainstorm with you all as well. I'm moving to 4th this year and could use some help adapting

Sara
sara618 is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 07-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'd love to brainstorm as well. I would love to incorporate this into my 2 hr (yes 2 hr) reading block this year.
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote

lwc4

Yes
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Count me in. I am starting new this year too and can use all the input I can get. I would be very interested in what works and what doesn't as the year begins.

lwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissC12

Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only 1 in this boat! I just picked up the book but haven't started reading it yet. Please keep me in the loop. TGFPT! (Thank goodness for pro teacher)
MissC12 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach215

Count me in too!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am also going to start implementing D5 into my daily schedule this year. It's nice to know that there are others out there too in the same boat!!
I am planning on starting with the Read to self on Day 1. Our district has just received a new textbook adoption for lang. arts and I am curious to see how this is all going to fit in. It includes a basal, leveled readers for guided reading, a grammar and usage book, words their way, and writer's workshop.
I have also seen/heard others say that instead of Daily 5 for the upper grades only incorporating Daily 3: Read to Self, Read to Someone, Work on Writing which is the way I think I am going to go. But the Work on Writing is going to be changed to Writing about Reading where they respond to something they read in one of the other groups (Tic Tac Toe board??) Then I would focus more on the Word Work section in Writer's Workshop since I will have to fit both of these into my daily schedule.

Make sense???
teach215 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrgrl28

Yah but...
Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I think I'll do Daily4 because word work is very important. Have you seen MrsCroak's website? She teaches 5th and seems to have it down pat - I'm a big fan of hers. So I'm implementing D4 and CAFE this year with my 4th graders and I start with the background stuff - 3 ways to read a book, and read to self, then IPICK and read to someone.

I do want to build up a listening library so I can introduce that - If I have computers that aren't archaic - I'll try uploading some AWESOME listen to reading sites I've found online (via PT of course). I actually need to get my file out and see how I did it with my 1sties and then modify it for 4th. I'll see if I can find what I did and post it - but there have also been these notes online for implementing both d5 and CAFE that I might use to create a plan too.

These aren't my lesson plans - they were in an earlier post on the peony boards and the credit goes to another brilliant teacher!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Launching the Daily 5 and cafe together plans.doc (91.5 KB, 459 views)
tchrgrl28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bibbles0152

Daily 5
Old 07-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I did some of the D5 with my second graders next year and I'm moving to fourth I think I'm going to try four then add listening on at the end. I was wondering if anyone has seen any posters for how to pick a book, read to self.... Just wondering if those were floating around out there!!!!

It's my first year in fourth.. any advice I would love!!

Thanks Lauren
Bibbles0152 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrgrl28

Bibbles0152...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

They are out there. The sisters have one on their site of the IPICK poster - I don't know if it's free and then another wonderful pt'er (I can't remember who sorry!!! But not my genius originally...) posted this one that I modified to fit my needs:
Attached Files
File Type: doc I PICK Bookmark.doc (49.5 KB, 205 views)
tchrgrl28 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteach4th

Yes.....let's share!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have "dabbled" in the Daily 5 for the last couple of years. I guess I do a modified version in my reading class since we also have to use our basal. It's worked very, very well for what used to be our center/guided reading time. The kids love the choices and I love not having to always come up with exciting centers for the kids to do while I work with a small group. I do think it has helped our kids work better independently, also.

I have just received my copy of the "Cafe" book so I'm going to add that this year, also. It seems to add what I've had trouble with.....assessing the Daily 5. So far, it seems really good.

I'd love, love, love to be able to have someplace where we "newbies" can share what we are doing with the Daily 5/Cafe in our 4th grade classrooms.

When do you all begin school? Our students return on August 27th.
iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote

Job Share

Sites
Old 08-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I would LOVE to see the listen to sites you have found!!
Job Share is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek4

count me in
Old 08-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm brand new to 4th grade. Used to teach second grade for several years. I would like to join in on this discussion. I think brainstorming with like minded people would be very helpful to me considering I'm completely lost at this level. Thank God for PT! I'll contribute as much as I can.
bookgeek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

jls

Count me in
Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I've taught fourth grade for several years. I was introduced to the daily 5 last year. This year I plan to use it in my classroom. I'd love to brainstorm with you. I also have to use a basal, Reading Street. Any ideas would be helpful
jls is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunflower123

My brain - what a storm!!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm a third grade teacher, new to D5, and I started school this week. Did mostly "housekeeping" on the first day, but of course, did read aloud. I did not teach any D5, but had a great day that I felt was successful. Today was day #2 and I referenced page 30 and 31 and did the Shoe Lesson for I Pick Good-Fit Books. I printed out the book marks that are on this thread and I plan to give them to my students tomorrow before we head to the media center. I feel that the lesson went well - I was proud of myself! I still have a question rolling around in my head...book boxes for 3rd graders?? We usually select one easy read (fact or fiction) and two chapter books each time we go to media. Kids can return and check out again daily prior to the start of the school day. Suggestions? (Also, I don't have much floor space to spare!)
Sunflower123 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteach4th

Hello!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I'm so happy to see this thread going! I don't start school for a couple of weeks yet, but I know I'm going need your advice and opinions! I will love to hear how Daily 5/Cafe is going for everyone!

I do have book boxes for my 4th graders. I've had them for years and they help keep us all organized. The kids keep their current chapter book in it, their basal and workbook, and their Reading Response notebooks. They also use it for any reading/writing projects that aren't finished. It seems they just keep things neat and we always know where our chapter books are! I purchased those heavy cardboard ones from Really Good Stuff about 5 years ago, and they've really held up well. I just put the studen't number on the front so they can be used over and over.

Will you all be starting Daily 5 on Day 1??

Does anyone else use Harcourt Trophies?? I'd love to hear how you're integrating your basal into the Daily 5! Thanks!

tarheelteache

Starting Daily 5 for the first time.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I teach third grade and want to start Daily 5/Cafe after reading about it all summer. Does anyone have something like a script of what you say to the students as you are introducing each part? I will be using our basal, Reading Street, also. One more question, do you let your students take the books from their boxes home or do they just stay at school? I look forward to sharing with all of you! Thanks.
tarheelteache is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

3rd Grade
Old 08-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I would also like to join in. I'm teaching 3rd grade but teaming with all the 4th grade teachers (long story). After reading everything on here about D5, I'm planning on starting it in my class this year. I'm thinking of making it D4 as well.
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunflower123

Book Box Dilema
Old 08-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Went to WalMart and The Dollar Tree in search of 'something' to use for book boxes for 3rd grade and I've come home with NOTHING. I couldn't find anything that would fit chapter books as well as larger 'picture books' or actually factual books. I'm disgusted. I did find a few options, but $9.50 each is just out of my price range when I'll be purchasing 20+. I'll keep looking - but sure wish I had them right now, since we went to the Media Center today and picked out our good fit books. For right now the kids have stored one book in their desk and two in their backpacks. I introduced the "chimes" today and we practiced once we made our chart. It was a hit. Also made the chart and demonstrated the three ways to read. My kids were engaged the entire time and I felt that everything was very successful. Tomorrow is a new day and it will be my first "actual" D5 lesson on read to self. I hope all works well even in the absence of book boxes.

iteach4th

Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Good for you, Sunflower123! It sounds like you've already accomplished a lot!

I bought my book boxes a few years ago from Really Good STuff. I don't remember how much they were, but I'm thinking they've lasted about 5 years now. So, even though it might be an investment at first, you don't need to replace them very often. They are made of heavy cardboard and come in 4 different colors. They really work well.

I'm still curious how you all will incorporate your basal into Daily 5.

Sunflower123

iteach4th - using the basal
Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I'm using Treasures right now as I introduce the D5. I've not covering it quite as in depth as I will in the future, but since I'm only on day 4 working both together has been just fine! Once everything is up and running I will use Treasures to introduce my skills for the week on Monday's and will also use it at the teachers table when I pull groups. I hope to have my D5 working so well by the end of the school year that I can completely do away with the basal and teacher from more authentic 3rd grade texts next school year!

AmyH

Plans
Old 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I posted in Peony Room -- but thought I would here also..
I still need to firm up Listen to Reading and Read to Someone -- once those are done, I'll repost..
Attached Files
File Type: doc Gr4Launching.doc (87.5 KB, 276 views)
AmyH is offline   Reply With Quote

Runner 26.2

Read to partner
Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I am new to Daily 5 but am going to use a modify version in my room this year. What is your procedure for read with partner. I really don't want the same partners everyday but don't want to be the monitor of it since I am hoping to work with my group of kids. Any help would be great. Also how long do you do your daily 5 in relation to minutes?
Runner 26.2 is offline   Reply With Quote

boxrbug

How are you pairing RS with Daily 5
Old 08-07-2012, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I, too, have Reading Street and and sort of struggling with how to put it all together...ideas?
boxrbug is offline   Reply With Quote

steelcitymom

Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Oh Yeah! PT to the rescue again. This conversation is just what I needed to get the juices flowing for my new 4th grade adventure.
I am also using D5 and a basal (Trophies).
My thoughts so far:
Definately using book boxes: Last year I used gallon bags and they kept in their desk. This year I don't want to do that. I thought about the IKEA magazine holders, they are pretty cheap. I read before about using ice bins from the dollar store or the $2.50 bins at target.
Read to someone: I plan on letting them pick partners after the lesson on choosing partners. I will randomly pair partners to start and tie in a team building, getting to know everyone lesson.
Listen to reading: I'm struggling a little here. I would like to include it but do not have a lot of resources. We do have our reading series on tape so could include to basal story, and i have some Magic Tree House Cd's. I look forward to to seeing if anyone can add to this plan.
Basal: I'm new to 4th so I son't know yet what they will require with the basal. I"m thinking that "required reading jobs" can work into each D5.
Work on Writing: I will use the whole class journals, reader's notebooks and ...
That's about as far as I've gotten.
steelcitymom is offline   Reply With Quote

kamehameha

reading workshop website
Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Here is another resource to use that is Grade 4 and 5 specific: http://www.wrsd.net/literacy/launch.cfm

Thanks AmyH for your post. I certainly saved that goldmine!
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote

gred1994

Old 08-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I'm bumping this up to be current so I can find it again at work tomorrow)!
gred1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
AlohaJen

AlohaJen

Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Book Boxes... I am using cardboard magazine folders. I bought 5 for $2.99 at IKEA, and the kids each personalized their own. They hold 3-4 books, a journal, and a reading log as we are doing D5/Cafe as well as a 25 Book Challenge based on the Book Whisperer. They work VERY well and are cheap!

ColoradoTeach

thanks
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Thank you for the wonderful ideas! I wanted to do daily 5 but I'm not sure where to start.
ColoradoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote