My Favorite Children's Book Drawing Entries! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Events Gallery

My Favorite Children's Book Drawing Entries!

>

Staff

Editor

Staff
My Favorite Children's Book Drawing Entries!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had 112 entries for the My Favorite Children's Book Drawing!

Members were asked to tell about one children's book that is a personal favorite.

Here is the lucky WINNER of the random drawing. The winner will receive a $25 Amazon.com gift certificate!

And the random drawing winner is...

Congratulations:

Munchkins

winner of the random drawing!

Thanks again to everyone who participated!
Stay tuned for our next drawing!

How the winner was selected:

To select our winner, we used the 'true random number generator' at random.org to choose one random number between 1 and the number of entries received. The generator gave us a number which we matched up with our list of respondents. Finally, we verified that the chosen entry met the requirements of the contest and the winner had no duplicate entries.

Winner must claim prize within 30 days or forfeit the prize. The winner's prize will be sent by email. Please keep the email address associated with your ProTeacher account valid and up-to-date! We never share your email address with anyone.

(2013-2014 Contest & Drawing Winners)

momteach310

Tacky The Penguin
Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester

Great book for teaching cause and effect.
Great for showing it is okay to be different.

All the books in this series are just plain fun! Kids love the antics of Tacky.

javamomma

Favorite Book
Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Six Dinner Sid
Inga Moore

I love this story of Sid the cat. It is wonderful to make inferences of why Sid has to act different at each of the apartments he belongs to. Also the ending is perfect for drawing conclusions!

read2day

A Wrinkle in Time
Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"Story always tells us more than the mere words." This is a quote from the author of my favorite children's book, Madeleine L'Engle. That book is A Wrinkle in Time. Actually it is not just my favorite children's book, it is my all-time favorite book! The power of love and its ability to defeat evil is a theme that resonated with me even at a young age. A Wrinkle in Time truly is a story that communicates on a deeper level than the words on a page and for that reason it became my favorite.

Reader

Charlotte's Web
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White has always been my personal favorite.

I am retired now, but have read it to or with my class in every grade level from first through 4th grade for 31 years.

dchawk82

Old 09-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Easily it's "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales." Everyone knows the classics but this book puts a fun twist on them and adds some rather colorful commentary along the way.

mtnteacher

The Wuggie Norple Story
Old 09-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This hilarious story is written by

Daniel M. Pinkwater

pictures by
Tomie de Paola

release date October 1988
sadly it is out of print now

I love this story because it is so different. The names in the story are hilarious. Ex; Lunchbox Louie, King Waffle and of course Wuggie Norple .

I would use this book in any primary grade level. I also made felt characters of the story so the students could be interactive with the story on a felt board. It helped meet all students needs when reading this picture book to them. It allowed students to use their modalities of feeling, seeing, and hearing. I would use this book to enhance math, vocabulary, or a friendship unit!

If you've never heard of this book-it is a must! The only place you can find it now will be at the library!

Applicious

Arthur's Honey Bear
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My favorite book when I was young was Arthur's Honey Bear by Lillian Hoban. I used to check and recheck this book out of the bookmobile over and over again. I had a favorite bear too growing up and hated it when people teased me that maybe I was getting too old to play with it. This book just always reaffirmed me that you are never too old to have a teddy bear. I have multiple copies of this book today in my classroom that we read together as a class every year!

readerleader

Memoirs of a Goldfish
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Memoirs of a Goldfish by Devin Scillian

This charming book is one of my new favorites! It is the story of a goldfish whose personal space is slowly taken over by intruders. While entertaining children, it also teaches valuable lessons about respect and friendship.

whatever

Pippi Longstocking by
Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

by Swedish author, Astrid Lindgren.

It was a personal favorite of mine because of the story line itself. I had a pretty rough childhood at times. Books in general were an escape into a better, safer place.

The story of a fiercely independent girl with her own house, a monkey and a treasure was the stuff of real fantasy. I wanted to BE her. She not only went on adventures, she made the ordinary trudge of daily life into an adventure as well.

Thanks for the opportunity to reminince. Good memories during bad times... Thanks to Pippi and friends too.

cvt

An Extraordinary Egg
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Narrowing it down to just one favorite children's book is almost impossible, but one book that stands out for me is Leo Lionni's An Extraordinary Egg. Lionni is a great story teller and this book is no exception.

An Extraordinary Egg has the rich language, witty story and masterful illustrations that keep children engaged. The book lends itself to teaching about friendship and of accepting differences in friends. I especially used this book (and other Lionni books) for expanded vocabulary instruction, as well as for the usual lessons on story structure/characters/etc.

majawhde

The Tale of Despereaux
Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My favorite children's book is The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo.

It's my personal favorite because it never fails to take both my students and me on an adventure. I teach 2nd grade in a Title 1 school where many students do not get read to. Their world is not the hopeful, cheery place that I would like to think many children live in. We have recently become a Leader In Me school, and this book explains how even when circumstances are bad and the hero is unlikely, that everything works out in the end. There is an overlying message of hope (not to mention courage and leadership)!

I use this book as a read aloud in my 2nd grade class. We review everything we've learned about fiction with this book. We compare characters, talk about how they change, discuss the setting and plot, analyze word choice and learn about author's craft. This book encompasses it all and has a wonderful message. My students love hearing this book each year and cannot wait to find out what happens next.

RealisticPreK

The Elephant's Child
Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The Elephant's Child by Rudyard Kipling.

I teach pre-PreK. I read this book toward the end of the year. The kids LOVE it. I have them chant "on the banks of the great, gray-green, greasy Limpopo River' wherever it appears in the story, and they love being engaged like this! I love doing the voices of the elephant and the crocodile, as well as the snake. It's a fun and absorbing book for this age group (by now just turned 4 years old to 4 1/2 or so).

laurathy

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum is my favorite book. I've always loved the movie and found that I really enjoyed the book both as a child and as a teacher.
I've read it several times over the years with my 1st/2nd grade class, and they really have enjoyed it. I have a cool pop-up book and a nicely illustrated version that I use to supplement the unabridged book as a read-aloud. I like using it for examples in writing, too.

driventoteach

Because of Winn Dixie
Old 09-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Because of Winn Dixie written by Kate DiCamillo

There is just no way I can be brief about a book I am so passionate about! Well I'm not going to lie about how I came to know this book. I am a former employee of Winn Dixie; I worked there in high school and my first year of college before the company closed all stores in certain states. I remember how much our manager wanted us to push the merchandise that was advertisement for the movie, Because of Winn Dixie. Needless to say we didn't sell all of it and we got the merchandise at a discounted price, so I of course got the stuffed animal and the book. I just put the book on my bookshelf and didn't bother reading it. Probably a year or so later I needed to read a children's chapter book for a college assignment for one of my introductory classes and thought of this book. I could not put the book down! I cried when reaching the true central message of the story. It really touched me and I knew that one day, if I had the opportunity, I would read it to my students.

Unfortunately I have not used this book in the classroom. One year I thought I would be able to, but I decided not to since it was a touchy subject for some of my students who had similar experiences with a parent leaving.

freckleface

Love at First Hearing!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton

When I was in kindergarten many, many moons ago, my teacher brought up to the front of the class and sat me next to her. I don't remember what she said to the class, but when she read the book and came to the name, Mary Ann, which is my name, I just couldn't believe it!! My name in a story!!! I was thrilled beyond words. I remember just looking at her with love in my eyes and deciding right then and there that I wanted to be a teacher just like her!! And I did, but not Kindergarten! Thank you, Miss Gaylord!! I loved you so much and it was you and that story that inspired me to become a teacher!!

I don't teach with this book as I teach 5th grade now, but it's still my favorite!

Thank you!

DoxieTeacher

Favorite Book
Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My favorite children's book would be If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff. I like the story because it is super cute, teaches a good lesson, and is really funny.

tteacher

My
Old 09-04-2013, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Favorite book is "Bootsie Barker Bites" by Barbara Bottner. I love the story, the illustrations are hilarious and every student I've ever had knows someone who reminds them of Bootsie. I'm currently teaching second grade, but I've used this book in both my K and first grade classes. It's usually one of the first books I read in my class and it is always followed by a lively discussion with my students about how Bootsie is a bully. I love that the main character stands up for herself and finds an acceptable solution for dealing with Bootsie.

MACMama

Thank You, Mr. Falker
Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco, is my favorite children's book. Actually, ANYTHING written by Patricia Polacco is a favorite of mine. This book reminds me of my own childhood. I was always the "shy, dumb one" of the class. I could read, but had horrible anxiety if I was called on to read out loud. Teachers did not understand that I wanted to please them but my fears kept me from doing so. My fourth grade teacher is the one who took me from being "dumb" to showing me how much I truly had to offer. Like Patricia Polacco was grateful to her teacher, I am forever grateful to mine, Mrs. Candace Cornell.

I ♥ cats

Charlotte's Web
Old 09-04-2013, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My all-time favorite children's book is Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. I like it for several reasons, one being that I'm a huge animal lover. I also think the story captures the magic and innocence of childhood in a simpler time. Garth Williams' drawings are wonderful and add a lot to the story as well.

I'm not teaching anymore, but when I was I read Charlotte's Web aloud to my class every year, and the kids always loved it (2nd - 4th grades). I liked to use this book as a great example of descriptive language and "showing not telling."

TchMe

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Old 09-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

One of my personal favorites is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault. I love this boom because of its playfulness. It is a fun and engaging alphabet book that also happens to rhyme.

I have used this book on the first day of first grade. After reading the story, all students made their own letter (which was the letter their name began with) and decorated it. The letters were then displayed under a palm tree and coconut bulletin board with the heading "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Look Who's in Our Room!"

MAMASUZE

The Little Engine That Could
Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

This book is a personal favorite because it encourages children to never give up, to always reach for new goals, and to not let the word can't keep you from being your best.

I use this book as an introduction to 2nd grade. To let the children know that even though things will be a challenge at times, that if we keep pressing on and trying with all out might that in the end we can say "I knew I could".

I feel that this little book is one of the most encouraging books I have. When I have a student to say, I can't do this, I point to the poster I have of the Little Engine and ask, "What would the Little Engine do?"

westwitch

I Love You the Purplest
Old 09-04-2013, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

A sweet story with gorgeous illustrations make this book by Barbara Joosse a favorite. Used as a springboard for students to compose pieces for Mother's Day, describing their moms, using their own special colors!

jml122

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I love this book. I have read it at least 35 times and I have read it to each of my classes.
There are so many lessons in this book, such as friendship, hard work paying off, standing up for what is right, all while being such a great adventure.

I teach with this book. I have taught it in 2nd grade, 3rd grade and 5th grade.

I started using this book as a read aloud during rainy day lunches. The last two years in 5th, I have used it as one of our lit units. I use it for the lessons mentioned above, but mostly I use it because it gets my reluctant readers reading. I have had so many of my reluctant readers move on through the series and then ask, "what should I read next?"

ForeverMom

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

My favorite children's book is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DeCamillo. I cry every time I read it. It reminds me of the power of love. It reminds me that even though sometimes it hurts, love is worth it. I do read it aloud to my third graders. I'm not sure they always 'get' it, but I talk to them about love and treating others with kindness because you never know their journey.

kidsrme11

Can I Play Too?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I love [U]Can I Play Too?[U] by Mo Willems.

I love to read it to my first graders. When I first read it, I laughed out loud and now so do my kids!

I have used this book (and other Mo Willems books) during Writer's Workshop to demonstrate bringing characters to life by making them talk.
I also use it demonstrate author's craft as in using larger fonts when the character is yelling, etc.

love_to_learn

Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Old 09-04-2013, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Wonder by R.J. Palacio is a favorite book of mine. The story of Auggie and his struggles and strengths is so touching. It is engaging for my 5th graders and has a great lesson about treating others with kindness.

TLC

Charlotte's Web
Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

by E B White.
This a favorite, and the first read aloud for my third graders each year. It works well because the spiders are spinning webs this time of year; I can get in some science, and comes shortly after state and county fairs. If we get started a little late spiders are great for October.

It is a well known fact at our school that "Mrs C cries every year when Charlotte dies." Year after year, no matter how hard she tries to prepare not to do so.

Tulips

Favorite book
Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

My favorite children's book is Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle. I have loved this book since I was a child and remember reading it even in the sixth grade. I loved the rhyming and the colorful pictures. I had a copy in my classroom until it fell apart.

bookgeek59

The Runaway Pancake
Old 09-04-2013, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

....written and illustrated by Peter Christen Asbjornsen. I know there's a newer version out there from Usbourne Publishing, but this one is from 1950-something.

My older sisters read it to me night after night, and even helped me make a stick puppet version of it. My brother built a small puppet theatre/stage, and my sisters and I made the puppets. This production led to many others, mainly nursery rhymes. The fun we had! They really got my love of reading going. Thanks, you guys!

tchrpen

Hello, Aurora
Old 09-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Hello, Aurora, by Anne-Cath. Vestly (1974)

I first read this book in third grade (1977). I loved it and have read it so many times. It is about a little girl and her baby brother, Socrates. They live in a high rise apartment building with their parents. The mom goes to work and the dad stays at home.
I remember being fascinated by the entire thing. My dad was always at work and my mom stayed home. I thought it was the coolest book ever.
I still have a copy of it. I think I filled the library card from the school library with my name.
I love this book. It makes me happy just to think about it.

crackerjill

Imogene's Antlers
Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Imogene's Antlers by David Small

I love this book because it is about a flexible little girl, who wakes up with antlers and the hilarious adventure that ensues. It is a really funny and sweet story and growing up it just really spoke to me!

Optional:
I read it with my first graders.

I use this book as a respecting differences and being comfortable with yourself book!

MissESL

Too Many Tamales
Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto

I love this book! I've never taught with it, but I love the story line. It also reminds me of my childhood. I remember spending time with my family cooking traditional food and just enjoying family time.

PeetaFan

The Monster at the End of this Book
Old 09-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

This is a Sesame Street book written by Jon Stone. I currently teach 8th grade, having moved up just this year from teaching 4th. While I adore this little book for preschoolers and very early school-aged children, it's not a book that I get to teach. I do read it to my students, though. I tell them why this book is so very important to me. You see, my mother read this book to me when I was little. I lost my mom when I was an adolescent, but this book was among the things of hers that I saved. When I read it, I can still hear her reading it. I read her copy of the book to my daughters when they were little, and I've listened to them read the book to little kids in our family and in our neighborhood. They read it just like me, just like my mom. This book helps my family stay attached to my mom. It keeps her in our lives.

With my students, I hope to use this book as another tool to help facilitate a love for reading. I've had students come back to me and tell me that they read their favorite children's book to their younger siblings and relatives, and it warms my heart.

h0kie

The Squirrel Twins' Ride
Old 09-04-2013, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

The Squirrel Twins' Ride by Duncan Jury

This book has been my favorite book since childhood. I read it over and over again. When I found out I was pregnant with my son, I searched for months to find a copy so he could enjoy it, too.

booklady57

Memoirs of a Goldfish
Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Memoirs of a Goldfish, by Devin Scillian, is an easy read that my first and second graders enjoy. It works well as a whole group read aloud. I like the humor, which is accessible and enjoyable for both children and adults. The illustrations by Tim Bowers add so much to the story. And, there is a simple "lesson" to the story with a clear beginning, middle, and end, which are great for teaching main idea or plot sequence. It also works as a mentor text for writing personal memoirs!

Just a note for those who already know and love this book--the authors have a new book out titled Memoirs of a Hamster!

Munchkins

All About Sam
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

All About Sam by Lois Lowry is a story about life according to a boy named Sam. It is told from his point of view, starting with when he was just born, and it is absolutely hysterical! If you've ever said to a toddler, "What were you thinking?!?!", now you will find out. Lots of good laughs, internal dialogue, and a whole lot of fun.

rappinteach

Favorite Book
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I have several "favorite" children's books, but one of my "most" favorites is Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran.

As a child my cousins and I had a special hideaway in the woods were anything we imagined were "real", if only for the moment. We had some of our fondest memories growing up while at that location in the woods on my grandparents' farm. Roxaboxen turns the imagination of children into a real setting of "if you can pretend it, it can come true".

I use Roxaboxen in my first grade classroom to help teach personal connections. I have also used it to help teach visualization and how we can find the exact words to paint a picture in our readers' mind.

rissable

The Ticky Tacky Doll by Cynthia Rylant
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I used this book when I taught the primary grades ( K and 2nd) at the beginning of the school year. It is about a little girl who must leave her doll at home when she begins school and she is lost without it. Her grandmother cleverly sews her a miniature of the doll to keep in her backpack and she is comforted by that and is able to enjoy learning in school.

I always tell my students that if they need to keep something in their backpack that helps them feel better about leaving home, I would not mind. They learn to keep secrets this way (and it's a harmless one to keep).

I love this book and its illustrations by Harvey Stevenson are beautiful!
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

campy

I love
Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

reading the book Gator Gumbo by Candice Fleming out loud. The kids love the accents and I love seeing their faces at the end! We talk about the great illustrations and how we could have ended the book differently. I have had soooo many requests to read this book from students, former students and other classroom teachers. It is just fun.

Pish Posh

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I have so many "favorite" books and authors, but I especially love Cynthia Rylant, Tomie DePaola and Kevin Henkes. I will choose Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes for the purposes of this contest. It is a lovely story with beautiful illustrations and as a read-aloud to a class, it invites discussion about having a caring and accepting classroom community.

Button11

Make Way For Ducklings
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

My favorite children's book is Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McCloskey.

I love this book due in large part to the exposure my mom gave me to it. My mom would always read this book to my sister, brother and me. Then, every April vacation, we would drive to Boston and visit the little duck statues in the Boston Public Gardens. My mom said I would sit there for at least an hour and "pet" every single duckling, and the mama duck.

I think the reason I was so drawn to this book was because it is so close to home for me. I live outside of Boston, so I knew where the setting was taking place. I loved the idea of the mama duck taking care of her babies while dad was trying to find the perfect home for them- kind of like my family growing up where my mom stayed home with the kids while my dad worked.

I love this book even more now because I will be getting ready to start a family of my own in a few years, and I will be able to read this book to them, take them to the spot my mom took my siblings and I, and make new memories at the statues.

**Also- it is awesome seeing the ducks in Bruins, Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox jerseys when we are in the championships!!!!

BigwigRabbit

The Secret Shortcut
Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

My favorite children's book is The Secret Shortcut, by Mark Teague. To begin, the illustrations are good, which is unfortunately rare for children's books. The pictures have character and really meld well with the story. I really like the fact that the two boys in the story have these wild imaginations that are so vivid that they actually come to life for them. I think this speaks to many boys around the age that I teach (4th Grade). Also, the fact that their short cut is not short at all (and they know it) lends a bit of soft irony to the story, making it all the more enjoyable.

dellminiwhite

Book
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I Like Me, by Nancy Carlson...
First of all, this pig is so adorable and it teaches good self esteem. I read this in the beginning of the year and refer to it throughout the year. I have the kiddos draw a picture of themselves and display there best features. All kids seem to like this book.

tchrrx

7x9=Trouble
Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

Title: 7x9=Trouble
Author: Claudia Mills

I enjoy reading 7x9=Trouble to my third graders each year. The setting is a third grade classroom where multilication facts are being studied. Students who pass all of their timed tests earn an ice cream cone. One student, Wilson, is struggling to pass all of the tests.

My students earn a cupcake party for learning their multiplication facts. I enjoy sharing 7x9=Trouble with them because it helps them to realize that learning isn't easy for every student, but it is possible.

Lovinlibrary

What a Wat He Was!:)
Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Hooway for Wodney Wat is one of my faves! It's by Helen Lester. It's about a rat who can't pronounce his r's. He's shy and feels so alone...not only this, but Camilla Capybara, the biggest rat around, thinks she's the best at everything until Wodney shows her what he's made of! It's a zero to hero story!

Can't wait until Lester visits our school this November! Lots to talk to her about!

kahluablast

The Churkendoose
Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Author- Ben Ross Berenberg

This is a book from my childhood that I read over and over and over. It is about differences and how differences can set people apart, even if they are positive in many ways.

jerseykate

The Lorax
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss is my all time favorite children's book!! I love using this book around Earth Day because it teaches the students how to care for the planet and how to respect the things around them. I love reading this book and finishing up an Earth Day unit by watching the movie, 'The Lorax.'

TeachBakeShop

Old 09-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate diCamillo is one of my all-time favorites. I love so much about the book- the rich vocabulary, the emotions, the metamorphosis of the main character. I love most of Kate diCamillo's book, but this is by far my favorite. She is a fabulous author!

Marrywther

Snowflake Bentley
Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin
The story is a real story about a nan that loves snow. I'm from Vermont and this story is set in Vermont. It is a great way to introduce myself to my class, plus living in Florida, most of my kids have never seen snow.

Teach4

Calvin Can't Fly:The Story of a Bookworm Bird
Old 09-05-2013, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

The full title is actually Calvin Can't Fly: The Story of a Bookworm Birdie (that wouldn't fit in the title area). The author is Jennifer Berne.

I love this book for a number of different reasons. One, it is a favorite of my son and I love reading it to him. Two, it appeals to me as a reader. The story is about Calvin, a bird who spends his time reading instead of learning to fly. He is going to be left behind when the flock flies south but they come back for him, tie ribbons on him, and bring him along. He's able to save his brothers, sisters, and cousins with his knowledge of weather and he does end up learning to fly.

dawnmei

The Country Bunny and the Little Golden Shoes
Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

My Kindergarten teacher read the class this book around Easter. I remember loving everything about it, especially the fact that the girl bunny became the Easter Bunny. The illustrations are gorgeous! It is one book I read every spring to my students.

vateacher

Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

In November by Cynthia Rylant is my favorite children's book because of how visually rich. The words just seem to paint a picture in your mind.

My second graders use it to visualize scenes from the month of November. Then I have them work in partners to write their own line to a poem about November using the book as an inspiration. After I put the sentence strips up in the hall to create a class poem. It's one of my favorite display pieces of the entire year!

teachnkids

Goodnight Moon
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

My DD received this book and the bunny as a gift when she was a baby. She became attached to the bunny! We had several bunnies over the years . for my DD's 21st birthday, last year, my DH bought her a new book with bunny! We read that book at least a million times over the years!

bennyjake

Farfallina and Marcel
Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

Farfallina and Marcel by Holly Keller

This book has become one of my favorites because of its message describing a true friendship. Every time I read it, I get tears in my eyes. It's a beautiful story.

I teach kinder.

I use this book to teach about friendships and responding to literature. It seems that when I read this book the students are successful sharing what they liked and learned from this book. My love of this book is evident to the children and each year I read it we bond as a class.

crazy4catz

Charlie Moves to Arizona
Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

Charlie Moves to Arizona by CA Goody
I read this book to my third graders at the beginning of the school year. I live in Arizona and we have about a third turnover rate each year. The kids and I can relate to this book as I moved from Illinois to Arizona. My students all know how much I love cats because I talk about mine all the time. The other cool part is the author writes it as if she is Charlie. The author lives nearby and has brought Charlie to our school. She comes to our school and does some writing talks with the kids. She has written a few other books that my students love to check out from the school library. The excitement of reading is contagious.

PurpleEagle

Peppermint
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

My favorite children's book comes from my childhood. My favorite book is Peppermint by Dorothy Grider. Peppermint is a book about a litter of kittens who were born in Mr.Dobby's candy store. The smallest kitten, Peppermint, is the last kitten to be adopted by a sad little girl named Barbara who felt as lonely as Peppermint. After Peppermint's adoption, there was a pet show at school and Barbara desperately wanted to take Peppermint. In getting ready for the show, Peppermint is accidentally dyed blue when she falls into a tub of laundry bluing.
Will Peppermint win the Pet Show?
Find the book and read it to find out!!
This book was(and still is) a personal favorite of mine because I have been a cat lover since I was very small. I always related to the runts of the litter since I was a runt myself. Finally, I loved the candy names given to each of the kittens that were born in the candy store.

playpower

Charlotte' Web
Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

Charlotte's Web by E.B White is one of my personal favorite children's book. It's the first book I remember becoming invested in the characters and having an emotional response to their experiences.

tmar

Favorite Book
Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

My favorite book to read aloud to my fourth graders every year is Winnie the Pooh. Most of them are familiar with the cartoon characters and at first they think "oh, that's a baby book". Then I show them the text in the book and how thick it is and they love hearing all the stories. They beg me to read it every day.

3rdgradequeen

Mean Jean the Recess Queen
Old 09-06-2013, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

I love the book Mean Jean the Recess Queen.

I always use it the first week of school to talk about bullying. The best part of the book is at the end when it seems that all Mean Jean needed was someone to ask her to play. I always tell my kids to think about that...maybe a bully is a bully because s/he just needs a friend.

mrshointz

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 09-06-2013, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams has always been my favorite children's story. The themes of friendship and selflessness are timeless. "...once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to those who don't understand".

cptjway

Favorite Children's Book
Old 09-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

Title: The Ink Drinker
Author: Eric Sanvoisin

I love this book because it really makes reading attractive to my students. It's about a vampire who drinks ink, and as he does, he is actually living the stories.

I've used it in grades 3, 4 and 5. After reading the book, I tell the students that a good book is like a special meal - you don't "gobble it down", but slow down, stop sometimes and reflect as you read. Too often students want to get to the end, but this encourages them to enjoy a book.

JMP624

Favorite Children's book
Old 09-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

My favorite children's book is Charlotte's Web!

chanrowl

A Child's Calendar by John Updike
Old 09-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

Not many people give credit to illustrators but the reason I am so enamored by A Child's Calendar is because of the beauty of the illustrations created by Trina Schart Hyman. Don't get me wrong, the poetry in the book is beautifully crafted with rich imagery and vivid verse. However, it is the art that corresponds with each poem that takes my breath away every time I open the book.

I actually encountered this book during a children's literature course during my undergraduate program. We were tasked with focusing on particular devices children's authors use, or something along those lines. I, always trying to think outside of the box, decided to focus on illustrators. And it was during this quest that I encountered these visually stunning works of art inside a simple children's book of poems. It was then that I started on a journey to find as many books where Trina Schart Hyman had illustrated (which has not disappointed me to date).

The realism in her work and attention to detail, as well as hidden gems amongst her watercolor paintings, capture each poem so perfectly. Every month features the same multi-cultural (another bonus!) family as they involve themselves in holiday or seasonally-related activities. It's in those subtle nuances amid the seasons created by Schart Hyman that you suddenly find yourself invested in the family's life and become transported into their dining room on a snowy day or at the pumpkin patch in the Fall all through something as simple, and overlooked, as an illustration.

So falling in love with a children's book doesn't have to happen when you're a child---it just has to happen.

alicej

Lily's Purple Plastic Purse
Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

Lily's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes. I love this book. I read it to my class as I introduce my behavior plan to the class. Lily chooses to be in a bad mood, because she does not want to follow directions. This is a great book for students who feel they always have to share without thinking of others. I have used this for second and fourth graders.

tia

rich, fun use of language!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

(one of) my favorite children's book is The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.

Juster plays with language cleverly in his use of character names and characteristics, settings, and dialogue. Such a rich, fun use of language--and funny.

I teach 6th grade and use the book most years. My students always love it, and I enjoy sharing it with them!

KatieViolet

Harold and the purple crayon
Old 09-06-2013, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

Harold and the Purple Crayon is my favorite childeen's book for many reasons, but the foremost being that I love the color purple! I think the play on words, especially toward the end of the book, is so clever and I love the simple drawings.

I read this book at the beginning of the year to first graders as a way of introducing myself and my favorite color! ( we also read Lily's Purple Plastic Purse!)

trexteach

The Polar Express
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

My personal favorite for children's books is The Polar Express by Chris VanAllsburg.

This book has been my favorite since it was first published! The rich and smooth writing, with that hint of intrigue, makes for such an appealing read. VanAllsburg always has a way of grabbing the reader and placing them right in the middle of his stories. Even today when I read this book, I can step away from the world and become a part of the story and join the characters as they take that exciting train ride to the North Pole. His illustrations are so calming and soft and realistic, I can almost see the images in 3-D. I can imagine the creamy taste and aroma of chocolate wafting from the cups of hot chocolate from the illustrations alone.

Aside from my love of the illustrations, the message being delivered is so thought-provoking. What a wonderful story of hope and dreams for children and a powerful reminder to adults who read along to keep the child in them alive.

I was so excited by this book when it first came out, that I made a bee-line for the book signing when VanAllsburg came to my local bookstore. (I even had the opportunity to ask him about the white dog he included in most of his books!) I've always cherished my autographed copy of The Polar Express.

I teach fifth graders now, and still like to use it when I teach VanAllsburg as an author study.

gardener5

Gardener5
Old 09-07-2013, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

Horton Hatches an Egg by Dr. Seuss

I like the rhythm and rhyme, the way that it is both silly and serious, and the adorable elephant bird at the end. But the main reason this is my favorite is because it evokes strong, wonderful memories of my dad reading it to me when I was a little girl. Everytime I read it to my class, I hear my dad's voice.

I use it with my second graders to teach author's message and character traits.

dutchgirl

The BFG
Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #70

The BFG by Roald Dahl is my all-time favorite.

It's so much fun to read aloud, keeps all the students' attention, and makes them laugh!

Logicat

Charlie Anderson
Old 09-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #71

Charlie Anderson by Barbara Abercrombie is a beautiful book about having two homes. I enjoy this book because I can relate to it, and many of my students can as well. This book is a nice companion to the story "Gaston" by William Saroyan.

Rt2learn

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie
Old 09-08-2013, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #72

As a preschooler, Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie was my favorite book children's book. When I was learning to read, my mother would read this book to me each night, upon my request.

I loved this book because of the characters and the setting. Peter Pan and Tinkerbell could fly and make magic happen. They could bring smiles on faces and make all of the children's troubles disappear. Peter Pan and Tinkerbell worked together to help and protect those that were lost or in trouble. They fought evil and was successful. It was engaging and fascinating. I wanted to be like Peter Pan. I wanted to be able to fly and help others. I wanted to have those magical powers.

This story is used in my 6th grade classroom to teach character, setting, plot, problem and solution. Identifying the problems and solutions in the story and how those problems could be solved in other ways.

yrutching

Each Kindness
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #73

My favorite book to share with children is Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson. I like this book because it is a great read aloud about about a form of bullying, regretting one's actions, and not always having a second chance. It can be used for predicting outcomes and it has a surprise ending. My suggested grade level would be K - 4th grade.

rhubarb

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #74

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has always been my personal favorite children's book. I discovered the thrill and adventure of books at a very young age. This book captivated me so much perhaps because it is about a simpler time but the message it in it is the enduring power of one's love for family. It is also about overcoming the hardships in life.

This book is not one I would use in third grade but it would captivate an older child.

calla lily

Freedom Train: The Story of Harriet Tubman
Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #75

Freedom Train: The Story of Harriet Tubman by Dorothy Sterling is a book I first read in fifth grade. My school librarian gave a book talk and I was immediately drawn to this nonfiction chapter book about my hero:Harriett Tubman. I still have my tattered copy from 5th grade. I was so excited to share this when I was in 5th grade that many of my classmates read it. We even decorated our classroom door to depict scenes from this book. For me this was the book that made me a reader of nonfiction. I had read many fiction books before this but this was my first 921 book. I am so excited that this year, we plan to have our fifth graders read this book!

prechrswife

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No ...
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #76

Title: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Author: Judith Viorst

This book is one of my favorites because it is so relatable. We all have those "Alexander Days" when nothing goes right, and it brings a smile to my face on those really rotten days.

Ilvtching

Stephanie's Ponytail
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #77

By Robert Munsch

It is a fun book that emphasizes that kids really should be proud of who they are and not worry about what others think of them. In a time when image seems to be everything, I think this is an important lesson for kids to learn. It is hilarious which makes it a kid favorite as well.

I use it in my first grade classroom to teach the students about not being afraid to be themselves. Also, when "she's copying me" seems to be out in full force!

PS...it is really hard for me to choose just one! My students tease me because almost every book starts with me saying "...this is one of my favorite books."

KinderCan

Llama Llama Misses Mama
Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #78

I love all of the Llama Llama books, but my favorite is probably Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anne Dewdney.

I teach kindergarten and I use this book as one of the first books I read. I think every child can relate to how this little llama feels on his/her first day of school away from his/her mama. This year I had several little ones that cried for hours! After reading the book, all but one has stopped crying. We used this book as a real-life experience!

teacherpippi

My Father's Dragon
Old 09-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #79

My Father's Dragon (Ruth Stiles Gannett)
This is an engaging chapter book that draws in even the most reluctant readers. I often use this as one of my first read alouds of the year!

I have used this in grades K-3. You can do some great prediction with this story. I love having the kids make their own backpacks from a manila envelope. Students are also clamoring to write their own adventure with the dragon at the end!

trasie

Favorite Book
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #80

My favorite children's book is The Monster at the End of the Book: Starring Lovable, Furry Old Grover. I read this aloud to my children many times, always enjoying the way Grover begs you not to read to the end. Of course you do keep reading because you just have to find out who the monster is!

Lilbitkm

Anne of Green Gables
Old 09-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #81

My favorite children's book is Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

This was one of my favorite books as a child and I still absolutely love it. I love the character development, friendships, and love story. I really enjoy reading about Anne's growth through the different books.

I teach 3rd grade and I will use excerpts of this book to teach about characters and to teach context clues as well.

bellringer

The Keeping Quilt
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #82

The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco

I have long had a fascination with quilts--how they tie to family and culture and history. Plus, they are just beautiful and useful!

With my second graders, I teach a unit on quilts during the month of November. This book kicks off our study. We do many art, social studies, literature, writing, and math activities.

The culminating activity is a walking trip to the church I grew up in to watch (and help) the quilters make quilts to be sent overseas to people in need. Back in the classroom, students decorate a fabric square which I sew into a top and the church quilters make into a quilt. We donate it to an organization that distributes quilts worldwide.

Daphne333

Where The Red Fern Grows
Old 09-09-2013, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #83

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls is my favorite book because it was the first book I read that really touched my heart. Up until reading this book I didn't know reading was meant to be filled with imagination and emotions. I simply went through the motions of reading. This was also the first book that I didn't want to put down, but also didn't want it to end. It was the first book where I said to myself, "I want to see that movie again." Only to remember it was a book.

elizabennett

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #84

• I love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. When I was in the third grade I changed schools in January because we had just moved. The teacher had just finished reading this out loud to the kids and I had missed it. They were designing posters of their own room in the chocolate factory. When I was about 10 a friend lent me her brother's copy. I adored it. I always read it to my class each year. They think it is hysterical. I never tire of reading it, it amuses me just as much at 50 as it did at 9.

GreyhoundGirl

Favorite book
Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #85

My favorite book is The Pain and the Great One. I love it because it tells the story of siblings who thinks that the parents love the other one more. My parents read it to my brother and I when we were growing up so it reminds me of my childhood.

I also use it in my classroom to teach text-to-self connections. Students from kinder all the way up to 5th grade have enjoyed this book.

shellea

The Sweetest Fig by Chris Van Allsburg
Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #86

The Sweetest Fig by Chris Van Allsburg.
The book is a personal favorite of mine because it is a literal goldmine for literacy lessons. It also contains well-developed characters and a surprise ending.

I utilize this title EVERY year with my fourth grade students.
We review narrative elements- focusing on characters, setting, plot, problem/solution, and theme.
I also use this book to review making predictions- at the end of every 2-4 pages, the students make a prediction of what action will follow.
Finally, I teach character develop (using a bubble map for Bibot) and discuss the ending of the tale in great detail with the students- we make an inference multi-flow map.

teachermrse

The Dot By Peter H. Reynolds
Old 09-09-2013, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #87

As a SpEd Teacher I shared this book with my classes. There was one young man -- 5th grade whom I shared the book with. He took and AR test and made a 100, his first 100 ever on an AR book. This guy was hard nosed and lots of behavior issues but this is the what bridged our teacher student relationship. I really liked him and how this book inspired him, to read more AND share his art work with me

The book is about a teacher that accepts a student's art work, or lack of, and turns it into something -- the teacher frames the picture of the dot which inspires the student to do better. Inventive teaching!!

What is weird is that I have never had my own personal copy of the book!!

blcw

Charlott's Web - the only spider I like
Old 09-09-2013, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #88

Charlott's Web by E.B. White has been a favorite book of mine since I was 7 or 8 years old. It's a timeless story of friendship and acceptance, and also the story of the lose of a dear friend. I am now a middle school library teacher, and I still encourage students to read this book!

Blcw

goldilicious

Matilda
Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #89

My favorite children's book is Matilda by Roald Dahl. The reason behind this is simply that is is a well written hilarious book. When reading it for the first time as a child, I was able to clearly picture in my mind what was happening, thanks to the brilliant writing, and that made the book so much more enjoyable. I recommend this book to everyone!

yesteach

Creatrilogy
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #90

My favorite book is not one book, but a trilogy of books by Peter H. Reynolds: The Dot, Ish and Sky Color.

This trilogy is one of my favorites because of the messages in the books. The books explore creativity, but also perfectionism, self-expression, following your dream, making your mark and being confident. I use the books with first, second, third and fourth grade gifted students. My students often are very self-critical. These books help them see it is OK to not be perfect, but to express who they are with their individuality.

chalkdusty

Punished!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #91

Punished! by David Lubar

I enjoy starting the year with this book as a whole class novel for 4th graders as we set up our Reader's Workshop expectations. It has several elements of word play that they learn about as they read - puns, oxymorons, anagrams, and palindromes. They learn that word play can be fun! Plus we talk about expected behavior in the library and in the classroom based upon the characters' actions.

JenInWV

A snake grows up
Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #92

I have so many children's books that I love, but one of my very favorites is Verdi by Janell Cannon. It is a gorgeous picture book with brilliant illustrations. I have read it with younger children and talked about Verdi's actions, the setting, and the characters. Older children can talk about Verdi's motivation and relate to his inability to relate to adults as well as his reluctance to grow up.

SpecialAnne

favorite book
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #93

Green Eggs and Ham by Seuss

It was the first book I learned to read all by myself!

klarabelle

Pink & Say
Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #94

Pink & Say by Patricia Polacco

I like this book as one of my favorites because it talks about history and 2 boys who are "similar" but because of their color they are treated differently. The color of the boys skin did not keep either from forging a bound through life and .death But my favorite part is having my students all say out loud a remembrance of Pinkus Aylee.

CJS87

Stellaluna by Janelle Cannon- GREAT lesson
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #95

Stellaluna by Janelle Cannon
My students(4th grade) and I enjoy the story of Stellaluna because of the insight it gives on fitting in with other types of animals. We make connections with how we are always wanting/trying to fit in with people that are maybe not visually like us, but once you get to know them you have more in common than you think. Everyone has a place... naturally you will find yours along the way learning your strengths and weakness you may have not known before!

SusanTeach

Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #96

Title: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Author: Kate DeCamillo
It's my favorite because the kids absolutely love it! They beg me not to stop reading, and everyday they won't let me forget to read. It teaches the kids how someone can change to be a better person. It also shows quite a variety of people that the rabbit stays with, so we have great discussions about different types of characters. The ending is fabulous, and that always helps me love a book.

I teach 3rd grade and I use it as a read aloud at the end of the day. I knew the author was good due to her Because of Winn Dixie and Desperaux books, and I kept hearing about it on PT, so I had to read it! I have former students who still talk about that book.

Rochelle2005

14 Cows for America
Old 09-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #97

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy, Thomas Gonzalez and Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah

I like this book because it shows the compassion and the empathy of foreign country for the United States after September 11th. It offers a different perspective of wealth and prosperity. The illustrations are beautiful also.

I am going to use this book to teach a lesson to my eighth graders on September 11th and pair it with a nonfiction book about the event. I teach Language Arts and Social Studies so this is a perfect combination of both.

School_Marm

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leav
Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #98

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves by Lucille Colandro
I have always enjoyed the story, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. When different versions came out, I enjoyed buying them and sharing them with my students. I absolutely find There Was and Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves nice and enjoyable because it is humorous and I love that it pulls all the items together at the end.

Optional:

If you teach with this book, explain what grade level you use it for: traditionally I've used it with my K-2, but will be incorporating with my 3 - 5 grade students.

Briefly explain how and why you use the book.
I use the story for re-telling as well as an art construction project by having the kids create a scarecrow of there own.

cardnialteach

Goodnight Gorilla
Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #99

Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann

I read this book to all my children as a bedtime story. There were very few words so we got to make up what the animals were thinking and other characters each time we read the book. My children thought the little gorilla was very funny. Love the imagination it allowed my children as they made up the story every night.

it'sjustme

Miss Suzy
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #100

Miss Suzy by Miriam Young is my favorite book. I first read it in my 2nd grade classroom many years ago. When I becam a teacher, I just knew I had to find the book. It was out of print, so I had to find a copy on line back when the Internet was just a baby....

tryingtoteach

ms rumphius
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #101

My favorite children's book was Ms. Rumphius by Barbara Cooney.

It was so beautiful to see the different ways that she made the world more beautiful. My family instilled the same values in me. 1) Travel 2)Have a house where you can see the sea 3) Make the world more beautiful. My favorite picture is when she is in the indoor garden during the winter and says that it is like a tropical rainforest. As a visual kid, I noticed there was no door and was worried "How did she get out." lol.

As an adult I love the illustration of the grandfather building the parts for the ships, and the granddaughter paining the skies. Such craft!!!

Linda/OH

Tales of Fourth Grade Nothing
Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #102

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume

I love reading aloud this book each year to kickoff fourth grade. My students laugh right out loud at Fudge's naughty antics as a two year old and Peter, the fourth grader /older brother who saves the day but does not feel appreciated!

It's filled with all kinds of connections, humor, lessons on growing up and new experiences as Peter and Fudge navigate siblinghood in NYC

I love beginning the year and using this great story as an anchor text for so many standards and just plain reading enjoyment.

Who doesn't like to laugh and feel a relationship to kids like you?

Tapnstitch

Epossamondas
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #103

Epossamondas By Coleen Salley and Janet Stevens is one of my all -time favorite picture books. The main reason is that it is based on a Southern "Noodle-Head" story that my father told me as a child. "Noodle-head" stories involve a lovable but bumbling character who tries to do things right but always makes mistakes with hilarious results. There are a number of these stories in the Southern story-telling tradition. The character is often called Jack. I grew up hearing this story many nights as my bedtime story. Many years later I found the book and it brought back such fond memories of my dad sitting on the edge of my bed with my brother and I giggling at the silly things Jack did. In this version the main character is a baby possum wearing diapers. The wonderful illustrations highlight the ridiculous nature of his actions. I read this book often to my class at the beginning of the year when we shared our favorite books. It was always one of their favorites as well. The humor is silly, but gentle, which appeals to young children. I used it in kindergarten, first and second grades.

benteach

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #104

This familiar book by Eric Carle is extremely versatile that it can be used in all subject areas. It addresses math with tracking and possible graphing of the food the caterpillar eats, reading in that it has words that can be considered sight words and numbers words to reinforce sequencing and retelling of story event skills; writing when children can compose their own stories of what their own hungry caterpillar might want to eat; social studies with the days of the week and calendar skills (common core in kindergarten) and of course, science with the life cycle of a butterfly. I have used this book in all grade levels (preschool/K-5th grade) that I have taught over the past 22 years and all of my student love it. They often check out other Eric Carle books when they go to the library themselves as well.

uwv465312

Chrysanthemum
Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #105

My favorite children's book is Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. It is a personal favorite because it teaches children to accept things about yourself that are different. My first graders and I read this book the first week of school. We talk about why their name is special and why their name was chosen.

xavier

Green Eggs and Ham
Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #106

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss is my favorite children's book. I love the rhyme scheme and the message to try new things.

Trinia2

The Tale of Desperaux
Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #107

The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

I loved the characters and the intricacy of the plot.

When I taught, I used it with fourth graders.

broad

Kids love stories about hair!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #108

Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch

This is my favorite story to read to Preschool up to 2nd Grade. It is very funny and well-written with a repetitive story line that builds up to a climax where students see how Stephanie tricks her friends and even the teacher.

mamacanteach

Grumpy Bird
Old 09-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #109

One of my all-time favourite children's books is Grumpy Bird by Jeremy Tankard. We can all relate to the little bird who wakes up on the wrong side of the nest. He is too grumpy too fly and seems determined to stay grumpy. A series of friends show kindness as they decide to walk along side him. Soon enough he can't take it any more and starts to play, finally inviting his friends back to his nest for a snack. It is such a simple , non-preachy story about friendship and getting out of a funk. Who can't relate? No matter what the problem we usually feel better after a walk, talking to some friends and sharing a snack! This book is great for children and adults alike.

happygal

Charlotte's Web
Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #110

by EB White

Charlotte's Web is my personal favorite children's book because it is a classic that teaches strong lessons on the importance of love and friendship. It will draw tears from most children when you get to the part where Charlotte dies. The book made me cry as a child and when I read it to children I notice that I still get choked up, as my teacher did when I first had the book read to me.

This novel begins the discussion and knowledge that we are all going to die and that dying isn't so bad, so long as you lived and helped others along the way. It doesn't matter if you heard the story thirty years ago, or this week, it still speaks to our soul and lets us know that friendship and love above all else is what matters the most. This is why Charlotte's Web is my personal favorite children's book.

ragtimecwgrl

How I Spent My Summer
Old 09-10-2013, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #111

How I Spent My Summer by Mark Teague

I love this text as the sponge for our 'recapture the summer' writing. The kids love it, plus it just suits my style!

Aderynbach

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #112

My favorite children's book is The Velveteen Rabbit because it is a sweet children's story with a deeper meaning and philosophical questions embedded into it. This simple seeming story not only helps children deal with the loss of precious things, it also addresses the question "What is real?" In my Christian school, I use this question to begin a discussion of what "real" truly is.
I've loved this book since childhood and continue to love it in the context of teaching.

tripteach

Corduroy by Don Freeman
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #113

Corduroy by don Freeman
I have just loved this story since I was a very little girl. It was the first book I read independently as a first grader. It is just a beautiful story!