Turkey Art Contest Entries

>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Turkey Art Contest Entries
Old 11-16-2013, 11:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here are all the wonderful entries from our 2013 Turkey Art Contest. Thanks to everyone who shared their creative ideas!

mycontestname

Eat More Pork!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We made this classroom project in second grade last year while studying persuasive writing and author's purpose. The children traced and cut out turkey feathers, a body and made a beak using construction paper. We added googly eyes to give our turkeys some personality. Then we wrote something on the sign that a turkey would rather we eat than them and glued it to popsicle sticks. Kids picked foods like pork, chicken, veggies, candy etc to write on the signs. Finally, the students wrote up a persuasive paragraph telling the reader why it was better that people eat something other than turkey for Thanksgiving.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

cnmeren

Veteran's Thankful Turkey
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For Veteran's Day, my 3rd grade class made a bulletin board in their honor. The turkey was hand drawn and we traced their hand prints out of construction paper and taped feathers onto the back to make the tail look fuller (and cuter )! The turkey is also holding a sign that says "Thank you, Veterans, We Love You!"
Attachment

terinzak

Disguised so I don't get eaten!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is an example that I use in our Naked Turkey Project!
Attachment

Seaglass1212

Thom and His Turkeys
Old 11-21-2013, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My Preschool classes are learning about colors of fall.
We scrunched red, yellow, green, brown and orange tissue paper and glued them to a green leaf. We learned that the green leaves of summer change colors in the fall. We then began to discuss Thanksgiving. We talked about how many families eat turkey for Thanksgiving. We saw pictures of real turkeys and noticed their brightly colored feathers. We each cut out a large feather for our classroom turkey (Thom) and colored a feather with our name on it. We used the same colors we used for our fall leaves!
Since Thom was lonely we decided to make some friends for him. We gathered pinecones and glued a head, feet, and fall colored feathers to make a pinecone turkey. Now Thom has 20 friends!

Attachment

TchMe

Scrapbook Turkey
Old 11-24-2013, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I created this turkey as a model for my students to use. I am an avid scrapbooker, so I decided to make a non-traditional turkey using a variety of scrapbook solid and patterned paper. The more colorful, the better! Just cut a template for the feathers and trace cut. This particular body was cut free-hand, but it would be neater to make a template next time! A small orange beak flap and easy-to-draw beady eyes complete the festive bird. Happy Thanksgiving!
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

techwizard

Turkey Centerpieces
Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

These turkeys were made with Kindergarten students to be used as a centerpiece at their house for Thanksgiving. They are made from mini marshmallows that I food colored and a potato for the turkey's body. Some kids liked doing their feathers in a pattern while others just tried to eat the mini marshmallows
The head was just a cutout put onto a toothpick and the legs were made out of pipe cleaners.
Attachment

kali

Thankful Turkey Hands
Old 11-26-2013, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Turkey hand prints display thankfulness for others. The budding artist enjoyed me painted their fingers and palms the different colors representing a beautiful wild turkey (a bird we see all over Maine). Using cut paper for the beak, waggle, and the heart. You could use google eyes or cut paper for the eyes, but this little turkey of an artist found some eye stickers and thought they would look best. Last step was the black pen drawn feet. A nice keepsake reminded us all to be thankful for a lot...starting with family, friends, and LOVE.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

spud93

Tricky Turkey
Old 11-26-2013, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This turkey was created for a display in the classroom. It was made using newspapers, construction paper and a paper bag. A lunch bag was stuffed with newspapers about ¾ of the way to the top. The top was stapled shut and the head was glued to the front of it. Google eyes, hat, folded beak and a waddle were glued to the head. The tail feathers, hat, wings, legs, feet, waddle and beak were made from construction paper. The tail feathers were glued in a fan shape to a large square of construction paper and that was glued to the back of the bag. The wings were cut out, folded a half inch from the edge and glued to the sides. The legs were made by accordion folding strips of construction paper and gluing them to the bottom of the bag. The feet were glued to the bottom of the paper strips. This turkey can be used as a writing prompt. How did this turkey avoid being eaten at the first Thanksgiving? The students like to pose the turkey- crossing his legs, putting him on a chair, sitting him on a shelf, etc.
Attachment

Christi508

Tie Dyed Turkey
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have made these for many years. Just have students use a marker to color a design on a coffee filter (the bigger the better). Then fold the coffee filter into quarters and stick the tip into a cup of water. Students enjoy seeing the water travel up the filter and make the
"magic" feathers. Add a construction paper body (no pattern needed) and voila...a tie dyed turkey.

Attachment

bookbadger

Thankfully Feathered
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This Thanksgiving turkey bulletin board was created by my second grade students and me. I made the turkey, pilgrim hat, and musket out of poster paper and construction paper, outlined it in black marker, glued together the pieces, and laminated it. I cut the feathers from construction paper. I started the project on the weekend, and when the kids came in on Monday they found a partially-feathered turkey. I had written one thing on each feather—each of my student’s names, the names of my family members, and other things I am thankful for. I had the students list on handwriting paper the things they are thankful for and I edited their spelling. Then the students transferred their ideas onto several ‘thankful feathers’ and I added them to the turkey tail. My goal for this bulletin board space is to have my students create something to help us decorate for the season. This month’s project actually took a couple of weeks to squeeze in during a spare moment here and there. To be honest I have to admit that not all the feathers are spelled correctly, but we are still thankful for our handsome turkey!
Attachment

ABC girl

Mrs. Gobble
Old 11-27-2013, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our school library had a pumpkin decorating contest. I had an idea to make a turkey pumpkin - an offshoot of something I had seen at a "farm"show at a local fair using fresh grown veggies. I purchased brown feathers at a local craft store and every free recess moment, my 3rd graders and I would glue these feathers to the pumpkin. The students were also given a cardboard feather to color and cut out. These were hot glued on. A sock was stuffed for the head and hot glued and stick pinned to the pumpkin, as well. Glasses were made from pipe cleaners and a student printed out the turkey booklet. The beak was rolled up orange construction paper. The turkey pen was just a reading bulletin board border. It was a fun project for all and we ended up winning 3rd place in the contest!
Attachment

whistler

Good Enough To Eat!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Martha Stewart we're not- but my class makes Apple Turkeys every year. We used to use candy to decorate the turkeys, but now we have "wellness turkeys!" Start with an apple of any size, get plenty of pointy-ended toothpicks, and a supply of dried fruit: apricots, apples, pears, peaches, raisins, craisins, etc. We also add raw cranberries, mini-marshmallows, and a gummy worm for the little dangling thing on the turkey. We go turkey caroling throughout the school, and then the apple turkeys go home and are centerpieces on the Thanksgiving table. This is a project I first did as a student teacher in Carol Cushner's 3/4 classroom in Wellesley, MA, in 1990, and I've been doing it in my class ever since! Thank you, Ms. Cushner, wherever you are!
Attachment

laurathy

A FANtastic Turkey
Old 11-27-2013, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We made these turkeys in class with my first and second graders. They each used 2 strips of 4" by 18" newsprint and 2 strips of 3" x 18" newsprint to make the fan tails. They colored with washable markers and dropped water on them to make the colors bleed. When they were dry, we fan folded the pieces and stapled them to the turkey. They glued the bottom part of the fan to the turkey so it would stay open. They traced the turkey shape on orange poster board and onto brown construction paper 2 times to make the body. They added details with red construction paper and markers. They each were able to pick what size googly eyes to glue on their turkey. Making him stand was a little tricky for some of the kids (too big of cuts or too small of a stand), but all of our turkeys were able to stand up by the end. They LOVED their 3D turkeys, and many chose to read to them during Daily 5!
Attachment

Garden lover

Potato Turkey
Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've made a potato turkey every Thanksgiving for the past 30 years (at least!). This year I told my class of second graders to watch me while I did a little project - didn't say what it would be! Started by coloring the turkey head. Then took out the potato. Cut a slit and inserted the neck. Took out a toothpick and made 3 holes in the rear of the potato. Took out 3 feather dusters and plucked 3 feathers, which I then inserted into the holes. Took 2 toothpicks and inserted them as legs. Tried to make the turkey stand, and it toppled over every time. Inserted a third leg and said, "Haven't you ever seen a 3-legged turkey before?". Then I said, "OK, now I'm ready for Thanksgiving - I have my centerpiece for the table!" The cheering was quickly followed by shouts of "Can we make one?" "Did you bring any potatoes?", I asked. "Well, let me see if I have some extras...", which, of course, I did. That's what makes me the best teacher ever!
Attachment

breezey

Turkey
Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Material used were tempra paint, construction paper and wiggly eyes. This was created to be just a centerpiece that the kids took home.
Attachment

Seussical

Turkey Bread!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Take a turkey to dinner--via the talent of your husband! Using the James Beard recipe for white bread--my husband not only made the bread from scratch--but shaped the little ball of dough into a "second" turkey for dinner tomorrow! He was so delighted with the large loaf of "Turkey Bread" he made a second batch--wheat bread--and made little turkey rolls!
He attached each of the tail feathers by moistening them with water--baked the bread for about 30 minutes--checking to make sure the tail feathers didn't burn. The house smelled delicious! Tomorrow it will be eaten!
Attachment