Reading Corner & Classroom Library Contest Entries

>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Reading Corner & Classroom Library Contest Entries
Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here are all the wonderful entries from our Reading Corner and Classroom Library Contest. Thanks to everyone who shared their wonderful spaces!

ggcoffeex3

Dr. Seuss Library
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is our classroom library with a Dr. Seuss theme. I have a sign hanging above two child-sized arm chairs. The sign has the Dr. Seuss quote: "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." There are also pictures of Dr. Suess books hanging around the sign. We have a CD player to play books on CD, a basket of books below that, and two shelves full of books on either side. I teach at a private school in a classroom with 14 children between the ages of 3-5. The kids can read here any time throughout the morning. There is often at least one friend reading here. Children also enjoying coming here to look at books when they need to calm down or first thing in the morning when they are still a little sleepy!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Czechgirl

Reading corner
Old 01-13-2014, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a second-grade level classroom library. My classroom library is organized by genres. The genres are printed on the baskets (bins). I also have a bin number on the bins. Each book in the bin has the bin number written on the back of each book inside that bin for easy shelving purposes for students. The classroom library includes two colorful chairs for "reading nook" purposes. That year I had a special reading nook assigned for each student every day. The reading nooks were switched on a daily basis. The colors I used in the reading corner were colors used throughout my classroom that year.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

MissC83

DIVE into a Good Book!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my ocean themed library area in my 4th grade classroom.
From the beach balls hanging from the ceiling to the nautical rugs on the floor to the colorful ocean scene on the wall, the kids loved to read, choose books, and have classroom meetings in this special area of our room.

I used a plastic hawaiian table skirt as a window covering. The bright fish scene on the wall is a shower curtain that we used to hang CAFE strategies. The Daily 5 board became 3D by crunching the "sand" paper and smoothing it back out before hanging it. I also "waved" the seaweed and spaced out the staples so it would look like it was flowing underwater.
Attachment

rappinteach

The Monkey Hut
Old 01-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Welcome to the Monkey Hut! It was a lot of fun to set up this library in my monkey themed classroom. It was provided a quiet and relaxing place for students to sit and read and it was easy to manage.

In the library you could find lots of books at all levels arranged by topic. Each book was also coded for easy placement and had a color coded sticker in the upper corner to help level them by difficulty. I have a poster in my room for "book shopping" days. That is when they trade out their book box books. They are given the colored stickers (levels) that they can choose from because it is marked on their box.

All of the items fit together perfectly! The rug came from IKEA and the chairs I raided from my mom's house. (It's like a redneck yard sale there.) I bought the grass umbrella at a party store. I made the bananas that are on the wall. They are the questions they should ask for choosing a "Just Right" not a "Too Hard/Too Easy" book. I also made the "Monkey Hut" sign using cardboard that I burnt the edges, oil pastels, and cut out letters.

This is my classroom library from a couple years back. I wish I could have kept it like this, but due to classroom size and student numbers, some of the "decor" had to be removed. So bye, bye, grass umbrella!

Attachment

daffodils

Fourth Grade Reading Corner
Old 01-23-2014, 01:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This shows the main part of my library. Each bin has a color coded label on it showing either the genre or the author. For example, Fantasy book labels were in orange and each fantasy book had an orange dot at the top so kids knew where to return it to. Bins for specific authors (Gary Paulsen, Roald Dahl, etc) had blue labels and blue dots. While this library was for my fourth grade room, I had special education that year and had some kids who were lower DRA (reading) levels and so I also had some bins with specific DRA books in them so those kids could easily find Just Right books. Larger chapter books that couldn't fit in bins were on a bottom shelf, along with some of my picture books. Elsewhere in the classroom I had nonfiction books and poetry. I also had a large, outward facing shelf that I put books related to our current units of study.

Each chapter book had information on the top of the book, including the DRA level, my initials, and a dot or dots to indicate genre. Newbery and Newbery Honor books got an additional dot. This allowed students to quickly scan for books that were at their level (or for me to quickly notice if a kid was ready a book that was too easy or too hard).

All of my books were in a spreadsheet on the computer. Students could use the spreadsheet to look up whether I had a book, what other books an author wrote, what books I had in a certain genre, and how many copies I had of a book (for partner reading). They also checked out books on the spreadsheet, by typing their name next to the book and the date they checked it out.
Attachment

GiantSubs

Reading Rocks!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As the Reading and Language Arts teacher for all of 5th grade, my reading corner is an important area to me My classroom theme is Rockstar, so the reading corner is full of colorful pillows. On the wall above the short shelves is the Rockstar AR Wall, where each child has their "backstage pass" to the levels of AR. The kids move their pass up the wall to the different rock stars as they earn their points.

Over the tall book cases to the right of the picture are the different reading genres. I encourage the children to choose from each one over the course of the year. Out of the picture and to the left of the shelves is my recommendation wall, where I have 8 themed posters that the children pin small pictures of their favorite book covers under headings like Perseverance, Friendship, Honesty, Courage, etc. For those that struggle to find a book, they can pick a category and see what their classmates are reading.

The library itself has about 1,000 books that are wrapped, labeled, and organized by AR level. The spines have a sticker with the AR level and a number, and the backs have a sticker that tells how many points each book is worth. I assign an individual reading range to each child, so this provides them an easy way to find books that are right for them. I keep an Excel database on all the books, so I can track them. Sticking out between some of the books, you can see a card. Each child has a numbered card, and they insert it in the shelf when they take a book. That way, putting the book back in the right place is quick and easy.

When we have DEAR time, each child can take a pillow and move around the room to find a comfortable spot. There is a special section of the book area that has non-fiction books, and out of the picture to the right of the area, there is a shelf with books that are subject specific to what they are studying in Social Studies and Science. In fact, you can see some of their Science Atoms hanging over the corner.

Happy Reading!
Attachment

crackerjill

Welcome to the Bat Cave!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My classroom has a superhero theme, so I thought the perfect name for our library/reading corner was "The Bat Cave"!

I've got well over 500 books in my library, which are now (not at the time of the photo) sorted by their reading levels.

We have a comfy camping chair, and four bean bags to make it a snuggly place to read (and also so every child in that center has their own space and isn't fighting over seats!)

And of course what Bat Cave would be complete without a Bat Mobile?!
Attachment

Lucky3353

Inspirational Library
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My classroom library is one of the most popular places in the class. It boasts a comfy denim couch with an ottoman for storage. It has art work for students book reports, a softly lit lamp for extra light, and inspirational art. The books are arranged according to reading level. They are color coded on the spine of the book to help them file books appropriately as well. This allows the students to go right to their appropriate reading range to select one of the many books they can enjoy. Students often go in this library to work together or help other students with concepts. There is a great sense of pride and collaboration as the students enter this library. It is an inspiration to be the best they can be and to enjoy reading at any level.
Attachment

kennedy2013

Artistic, Relaxing, Flexible & Innovative
Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Come join us in our relaxing reading corner. Here you can read a book, a magazine, or anything you might enjoy. Every month we change what books we display in our bookcase to encourage our students to READ! We change the type of print we promote each month. For example, one month it might be “Graphic Novels” or another month it might be “Non-Fiction” books. This month we are featuring “Magazines” for kids to pick up and read and enjoy in our bookcase. Reading enjoyment comes from different types of print and we encourage students to explore all reading genres and formats.

Also in our reading corner we have student artwork displayed for all to enjoy. We encourage creativity in our library so students proudly show others their artistic abilities and view their artwork while sitting in our reading corner. In the near future we would like to showcase student’s written stories for students to enjoy as well. Student’s written stories would be available not only on the walls to read but also in binder format for students to read while sitting in our reading corner.

This table is a unique table, it encourages 21st century technology reading tools as well. The table has a hidden plug that allows students to bring in their kindle, laptop, iPad or smart devices to use in our reading center. On special days we even plug in our iPod speakers and allow students to play soft music in our reading corner. Sometimes our reading corner turns into a study corner because it is so versatile. We encourage and embrace all students to become 21st century readers in our reading corner.

Won’t you come and join us in our artistic, relaxing, flexible, and innovative 21st century reading corner?

Attachment

kelsie44

Fantastic Reads in Middle School Science
Old 02-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My science classroom is unique in one key aspect to the standard “lab” setup. I have a section that is devoted strictly to literature. Most people assume that my reading area is full of science related material. My response to this is yes some of it is science related, but mostly it consists of teen/young adult literature. I love to read and I feel my students, no matter what type of classroom they’re in, should be provided the opportunity to read a book that interests them. My library ranges from popular novels such as “Fallen” by Lauren Kate to historical such as “Number the Stars” by Lois Lowry. Currently, I have approximately five hundred teen/young adult books in my library. All my books are arranged in alphabetical order by author’s last name. Every book has a corresponding “full-color sign-out sheet” which is kept in two binders. Students simply match their book to the corresponding cover page sheet, sign their name and date on the back, and then place the sheet in the front of the binder. Each binder has a section that is divided up by hours. For example, if a student in my second hour checks out a book they would place the sign out sheet for that particular book in section labeled “second hour”. When a student finishes a book they simply hand it to me and I sign the book back into the library. My reading area also includes a large, blue rug for students to lie on or they may choose to use one of four small “reading dots”. Basically, a reading dot is a small, circular “shag” rug that is just big enough to fit one student. Students use this area anytime they are finished with their classroom work or we have silent sustained reading.
Attachment

ovrjoyd4u2

Camp Read-A-Lot
Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

To my students the best part of our library is that it is organized in multiple ways. First there are an assortment of fiction and non-fiction books in leveled bins from J - P. I keep separate bins for poetry, math stories, character education and book series and several "favorite" authors. I recently added a tub for buddy reading and converted several books on tape to CDs. Lastly my non-fiction books are separated by topics: animals, USA, sports, science, space biographies.

Every book has a sticker on the front which coordinates with a specific bin, so that students can select and return books independently.
Three classroom librarians check weekly to insure the library is neat and that books are in their correct spot. Students have an assigned day of the week to exchange their books and this keeps congestion in this corner of our classroom to a minimum.

It's small but it has a wide variety. I continuously scour flea markets. Goodwill, use Scholastic points and write Donor's Choose grants to boost our inventory.

On the other side of the room, there is a tent with battery operated lights and 2 foldup camp chairs. Students love to have these "preferred" seats to curl up with a good book.
Attachment

multigrade

Library Alcove
Old 02-15-2014, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our first grade classroom has an alcove which works well as our library.
The students take turns enjoying their books while sitting in the camp chairs. The colorful shelf between the chairs has baskets containing our I Can Read books. Our baskets are labeled generally: I Can Read, Arthur, Nature, Animals, etc. The children can usually get books back into the correct baskets. If they aren't sure, there's an empty basket in which to return books. The white binders on the bottom left are my old set of Golden Book Encyclopedias, copyright 1959. They were falling apart, so I placed each volume into a binder using sheet protectors. They are a favorite of both stronger and weaker readers. The tree on the wall is cut out of a brown sheet and attached with liquid starch. (The label above the globe marks our east wall.)
Attachment

Mr.NJ

Green/Blue Reading Corner
Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

On a daily basis students come to the library to find new books to read. Books are sorted on shelves by their genre. The area is open and inviting with a rug, seating, and printed signs. Students always want to "read in the library" but that is reserved for centers.
Attachment

Miller

special places reading area
Old 02-18-2014, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach 1st grade special education. I have students with varying abilities so the comfort of my class library is something that they love. On the top right is a comfortable red chair that kids love to pile into 2 at a time. The bean bags are another favorite, kids like to scoot them under the table and "camp" while reading books. On the far left is a glider that I used with my personal children. My students with Autism LOVE this chair and it's multi-purposed to move around the room wherever needed.

The yellow bookshelf in the front shows some ways my library is organized. Themed books like Arthur, Clifford, Disney readers, and Magic School Bus are in picture labeled containers. Books that are easy readers, DRA levels up to D, are marked with a green dot. Non-fiction books are labeled with a yellow dot. DRA level E books and higher are orange and pink dots. Big books are accessible in 2 locations and there's another bookrack by the red chair that has current season books. Right now it has Valentine's Day books and Mardi Gras books. There are also miscellaneous buckets on the floor and table for leveled readers and board books.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

kali

The 5th grade Reader
Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

5th graders need to continued to be nurtured into reading for fun. I work hard at validating the importance of student choice and pacing, while reading for pleasure and outside of instruction. My students seem to appreciate my fiction organized by author's last name, with some sections highlighted (such as series, favorite authors, graphic novels). The informational text is much like a "unidentified" Dewey decimal system. This photo reveals about 1/3 of the library space. The books in stands on the top of the book shelf are always NEW books waiting to be read and reported back on, or a book I just read and want someone to read since I loved it! The long green wrap around poster (you are seeing about 1/3 of it) is based on a favorite book, Story of the Root Children. Students love it and it evokes great conversations about mother nature, magic, and science. The world map is often accessed when we ask each other where they are in their reading worlds? If they are in the world we find it on the map and share insight about the setting. If it is a fantasy map, we talk about the setting and landscapes garnered from the text. If the end papers have maps, we photocopy them and hang them up on our fantasy writing bulletin board. Students have rugs, pillows, boxes, and even a giant pair of sneakers that they can sit in while they read in class every day! There is also two large shelves that house picture books. I read a picture book every day as part of a literacy mini lesson. I want my students to continue to identify with their value for their own reading, writing, understanding, and happiness. One more note...having a clean organized classroom, and especially with the library space, is a very important model- demonstrating the value and treasure of having quality books.
Attachment

MayCee

Colorful Library
Old 02-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My classroom library cannot be contained to one corner of my classroom (though I chose the largest part of my library to photograph). This section of my library is the fiction section (left book shelf) and part of my non-fiction section (right book shelf). Each tub in my classroom library has a label and each book has a sticker that matches that label to reshelf easier. The fiction section of my library is organized by level, whereas the non-fiction and chapter book sections are organized by genre or author. Above the fiction section of my classroom library is our class word wall. Students use this word wall through out the day for various activities. Above the non-fiction section are genre posters. Students use these posters to help identify various books. We have several stuffed animals that stay out on shelves and if a student wants to read one, they find their favorite and begin reading. Students also have several options for comfortable reading, the red chairs pictured, bean bags, and other types of cushions. The chapter books in my library are shelved in a different part of my classroom and I have many more non-fiction books that are housed in other parts of our classroom.
Attachment

laurathy

The Room with a Couch
Old 02-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

The most popular part of my reading area is my couch. The star of the week gets to sit there with a friend. I also have crate seats next to the couch. We have the big front facing bookshelf for seasonal books, books that go with current units of study, and books that are too big for the other shelves.
The small bookcase with rainbow baskets has leveled readers. Most of them are from Reading A-Z that I have colored and laminated. The other two shelves have books sorted by genre and are all labeled by stickers.
Our carpet is new and I love how it has the specific spaces for each kid for calendar time or reading. During Daily 5 or math centers, they love to stretch out on it.
Attachment

Firebelly

Ravenous Readers
Old 02-20-2014, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Our class is full of students hungry for books! My students generally have four 30 minute chunks of silent reading per week. They love to sit nestled in among the books and often arrange the book carts so they can read undisturbed.

The two book carts are sorted by author. We study specific authors and I have as many titles as I can find by each. I have multiple copies of many of these titles so when we have "Book Club", students can choose a book to read/discuss in a small group, but yet we can discuss the author as a large class.

The bookshelf on the far left is full of historical fiction and is sorted by the chronological order of the events represented in the books. The other two bookshelves are full of general trade books and are sorted by the last name of the author.

I have some other "comfy" chairs in other corners of the classroom as well. Silent reading times are cherished by ravenous readers like mine!
Attachment

SusanTeach

Jungle Reading Corner
Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I wanted my reading corner to go along with my jungle-themed classroom. The sofa is a repainted hand-me-down, and several of the other decorations are donations by kids who wanted to add to the area! I love that it's by the window for fresh air and sunshine.

The books are arranged like a school library (with the binding out), but they're arranged by AR level rather than author's last name. The students love being able to find their level easily. There is a binder on top of the bookshelf for the kids to sign-out a book if they're going to take it home. They just cross off their name when they return it.

Three children at a time are allowed to visit the library throughout the day, and they love that! We rotate the children daily. Anything that helps the children have a greater love of reading is always a positive step!
Attachment

dizzydolphin

Our Dolphin Pod Library
Old 02-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Our library is the heart of our classroom. We have fiction and nonfiction sections that stretch along one whole wall. The books are grouped by genre in labeled boxes that are numbered. Each book inside has the same number so that the children can easily replace books. We have stacking chairs and pillows so children can find a special reading nook to enjoy our collection. The magnetic white board is perfect to display the children's writing and their Daily 5 choices. There's a table that I brought from home in this space that they can use to play reading and math games or gather in a small group. We are collecting and cutting out characters from book jackets so that we can make a collage on the top of the table after our state testing to celebrate.
This special place is used all day long whether it is for independent reading or a whole group gathering place to kick back and listen to read alouds by the teacher or students. Every year, each class adds something to the library for the next group of third graders. If you ask any "Dolphin", this library is the best!
Attachment

507jungle

Reading hut
Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

The popular reading hut is a great place for students to get lost in their reading. Constructed to fit right in with the jungle theme students beg to read in the hut. The class library is conveniently located right next to the hut. Classroom magazine are on top of the bookcases. Posted along the window are signs created by another proteacher (thank you) showing different genres. Students make recommendations and post them on the inside of the hut. And world map is located on the outer wall for Read Across America tracking.
Attachment

rachelmpd

My Reading Corner
Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Welcome to my Reading Corner. I wasn't able to get a good shot of the entire corner, but you get the gist. We have a Hollywood theme in the classroom. The banner on top reads-"Light up your imagination...Read." The pillows and pillow pets represent me, our community, and our theme. Notable pillows: Cinderella, 49ers, Giants, Zebra, Hollywood, and Tigger. Tigger represents the now 6th graders whom my students refer to (in a playful way) the crazy ones. The Lucy pillow states-"With me around everyone is happier." We have one star bean bag. The books in the bins are mostly sorted by series/author. I decided to sort them this way, because students get hooked on a series. This way when they finish one book, there are others by the same author and/or the same series that they can read. The Leveled readers are together as are the everyday picture books. The Biographies and Non-Fiction books are also in their own bins. The dish pans hold specialty picture books that I use for themes, math, and holidays. We also have poetry and reference books. On the very top shelf are books that are very high and with the exception of Diary of a Wimpy Kid rarely interest 2nd graders (my former students have come back and borrowed them) We also have a small step stool that enables almost anyone to reach any shelf. Students use the reading corner to shop for books, when we do a read aloud, and when they read independently. They also will sometimes go in to do their work. I go to great lengths to ensure there is something that every student, regardless of grade or level, will find something of interest.
Attachment