Help

Paraprofessionals

What should I do?

>

Cookieinbk

What should I do?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a sub para. I was working at a school that was supposed to hire me but kept referring to their low budget whenever I brought up the prospect of holding them to their word. So another school called me and said that they are looking to immediately hire a para. They asked me for proof of certification which I gave them. I have been there for about a week and the secretary is telling me that everything is going in the right direction in regards to hiring me. But they aren't given me any specific date on when they will hire me. I feel like I'm being lied to and they are trying to keep me as a sub and hold the lie of getting hired over my head so I stay. What should I do to ensure that they stick to their word and hire me? Am I rushing it too much considering I have only been subbing there for a week? The thing is that I left the other school to come to this school under the pretense of being full time. I just hope that I didn't make a mistake.

Last edited by Cookieinbk; 01-14-2014 at 05:12 AM..
Cookieinbk is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Keep trying
Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not sure that subs have any obligation to any school. That is generally a benefit to being a substitute. If you already left the other school, do you really think you've lost your chances of being hired? I would find a way to make it clear to that administration that you really want a para position, that you'd be more than happy if that administration would continue to consider you. As for the most recent sub job, there is probably still hope. I wouldn't just give up.

Para positions generally are filled just prior to the school year starting, or at least that's my experience. The budget may not have allowed for a new para mid-way through the year. Of course, circumstances change, paras leave or new spec ed students come in. In those cases, the positions are usually filled.

It does take time to get hired into a public school. If it is a new position, they may need to get the funds from somewhere. They might need approval to hire. I would not give up on either school. Just keep your face present as much as possible. Do your best. Something may open up. You may also look at other options. Private school, and day care centers are options.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cookieinbk

Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I guess I will hope for the best and see what happens.

pdxteacher

Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my district a school my have a job open up, and hire a sub until the job is filled. They may find a sub they like (you), and request that you be hired, but still have to wait for district HR to complete the hiring process. I do agree, though, that it sounds like the other school wasn't being totally honest with you.

Best of luck.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Wait 2 more weeks
Old 01-16-2014, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sometimes the powers that be churn slowly. My getting hired between word of mouth and actually getting hired was about a 3 week period. I'm now in a great position and making good money as a certified teacher/paraprofessional.

StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Cookieinbk

Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Maybe I just have to be patient. But I feel like some schools lie to people just to get then to work at the school. I hope the people at my school are trustworthy. Thanks for answering.

Cookieinbk

Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Congratulations on getting hired. Maybe I have to be more patient.

StellatheSub

Just remember
Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just remember to really shine as a sub. My week and a half as a sub at my district was my "working interview." I showed them why they needed me as an employee. I got students to work that normally would sit there and sleep or throw a fit when they got work. I showed them I could be patient and motivating. I helped students get organized, I helped students complete missing work, I helped students get their grades up. I showed them I could multi-task. I took over classrooms when teachers had "emergency" meetings and smiled and assured them everything would be okay, even though I was terrified. I always tended to feel like schools would use and abuse you if they can. I have seen schools keep subs on as paras for as long as a full school year, which I feel is not fair at all. I was hired, because their was a desperate need for the classroom I was hired for. The sped teacher I'm working with has a class full of behavioral problems and kids that really need small group instruction in order to be succesful. Anyways, that's why I say wait 2 more weeks, because I think that is long enough for them to make up their mind. Make those 2 weeks count! Good luck, and I hope you get the job!
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Cookieinbk

Thank you for all of the encouraging words
Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was ready to quit before I read all of your messages. I have been there for two weeks now. I'm thinking of giving the school a little more time to hire. 3 of the teachers in the school and the school therapist requested that I get hired because they feel like I am the best para for the student. I hope everything works out. Thank you everyone.

Cinderella00

Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thinking about you today - any update in the job situation? I'm hoping to hear that you got the position!

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cookieinbk

Old 01-21-2014, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hello,
I hope they hire me soon. I spoke with the secretary and she said that they are waiting to hear from the people who control the budget so she could put me in the system. I hope they are not lying to me.

Cinderella00

Old 02-18-2014, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hey Cookieinbk - did you ever find out if you had the position? I've been wondering about you!
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cookieinbk

I got hired
Old 03-02-2014, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hello,

Thanks for asking. Yes, I got hired. How have you been?