Paraprofessionals

Need tips with classroom structure!

>

Rae012

Rae012

Need tips with classroom structure!
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am an assistant teacher at a Preschool. I LOVE my job, however this is my first year and it has been- to say the least- challenging! To begin with, we had one particular child who had been very, very disruptive (physical with other students, hitting/kicking/spitting at myself and the lead teacher, and running wrecklessly around the classroom throwing toys across the room.) It was difficult for us to know how to handle this child. The Special Ed. teachers said this was different than anything they've seen in their 20 years of teaching. At the time, we did not know his reasoning behind his behavior. So, long story short- it was difficult to establish classroom management because our attention was so consumed by this child. My lead was very experienced and also felt the pressure.

Later, the child had outside evaluations and we've come to find out he's witnessed horrible things in his earliest years. (He's 4 years old.) He eventually qualified for SNIP to get one-on-one help with his behavior problems. He doesn't need ANY help with his schooling. He's very bright. So- the last couple of weeks the seas have calmed with him and now our issue is the rest of our class. They are very active. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to somehow calm the classroom as a whole.

I feel as though, we never got to "set the tone" at the beginning of the year because of the behavior issues. Now the whole class is very talkative, defiant and its difficult to get any instructional time in. They "test" us no matter how often we go over the rules and discuss why we ask them what we're asking them to do.

We have tried positive reinforcement, talking at eye level, giving them 2 choices, "taking" their choices, warnings, talking to them nicely and also being firm/calm. It is my first year and I so want to enjoy it! I love to teach but began to feel hopeless with the class as a whole at times because it's so difficult to grab their attention and actually teach. Any advice is appreciated. Sorry so long!