Help

Paraprofessionals

Job Interview for a paraprofessional position

>

galwaygirl172

Job Interview for a paraprofessional position
Old 04-06-2016, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all. I am new to this site, just came across it today in my search for answers.
I had an interview last week for a paraprofessional position. They basically stated they are desperate to fill it because the class keeps growing. I am not sure how well I did because I was not exactly prepared for the questions they (the assistant principal and the teacher) asked.
They went over the pay and the schedule with me. The Asst. Principal told me I would hear back once they received the two survey reference things from two of my supervisors.
The last survey was sent out on Friday.
I did a follow up call yesterday, and the message was having to be relayed to the asst. principal. I never heard back, so I am kind of discouraged.
I had an interview yesterday for a substitute position, which I got. I just have to finish the trainings so that I can start.

I guess I am wondering how long it takes to hear back for a teaching/assistant teaching position. I assumed it would be a quick yes or no because they need to fill the position. I am starting to think I looked like an idiot in the interview.

I am currently a tutor and and an in-class support tutor at my college. Our department is being obliterated in the fall, and we are not guaranteed our jobs. I was hoping to get the para position so that I wouldn't have to worry as much. Also, it is super pertinent to what I want to do once I eventually and finally get my teaching license.

I also just remembered that I keep getting pushed to call the school back tomorrow if I do not get a call today. Doesn't that make me look desperate and annoying?

Any advice is appreciated! Sorry for the ramble.

galwaygirl172 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Wish you the best
Old 04-10-2016, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do believe that the school would push for the position to be filled quickly if they have an immediate need. Some school systems will hire contingent to certain hiring criteria being met, meaning you can start asap, but will be dismissed if things don't check out.

If you were told to call the school, then I do not believe that should be a problem. Otherwise, you might call HR to see if they filled the position, or if they can tell you how the interview went - if there is any way to improve for the future if the position was filled by someone else.

I was a para for a number of years. It was very rewarding. There are some para positions that I am not interested in though. At this point in my life I don't have the patience I used to.

I am subbing now - had to leave my para position so that I could student teach last fall. I subbed before I was a para and loved it back then, but now I hate it. I think I am missing the routine of a steady job. In a steady job, you tend to know who you will be working with and what to expect. Subbing is so unpredictable. Again, my attitude is probably greatly affected by the fact that I want/need a permanent position.

I hope you get the para position! If not, you might like subbing better - at least that is flexible.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

galwaygirl172

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your response!
I haven't received a call back, so I figure they found someone more qualified. I'm actually excited to sub because everyday will be different. That'll definitely be a change from the same four walls at the college I work at.
galwaygirl172 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

True
Old 04-13-2016, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is the nice thing about subbing -- a different situation every day. If you sub enough at the same schools, you will get to know the students and build relationships with some, and with the teachers you see often.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

sea2002

RE:interview
Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hello,

I am a Paraprofessional and it took over a month or so for me to get hired. The reason it took so long was because the school that hired me had to go before the board first and they only have one board meeting a month. You could still get a call back but I think its great you are substituting as well.

sea2002 is offline   Reply With Quote