Help

Paraprofessionals

First day

>

galwaygirl172

First day
Old 08-15-2016, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! Some months ago, I posted here asking for after interview advice. Although that job was not given to me, I did get a call back for one. I am an English aide for high school now.
I finished my first day of in-service training today.
I suppose I have two questions:
1. Does anyone have any general para advice?
2. Are the SPED co-teachers always obnoxious towards paras? I only met one today, and I just didn't get the impression that she liked her job too much.
Thanks!

galwaygirl172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zaire

Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Galway, congrats on your new gig! I don't have any magical advice but just wanted to say BE ENCOURAGED. Unfortunately, a LOT of teachers or either unhappy, insecure...or both! And I think paras and subs become easy targets for their insufficiencies. I can't tell you how many obnoxious and/or rude teachers I've encountered in my 8 years of substituting (much of it long-term). Stay true to yourself, work hard and create allies in other teachers, paras, admins, students (appropriately so) without resorting to being a k.a. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Hi! Some months ago, I posted here asking for after interview advice. Although that job was not given to me, I did get a call back for one. I am an English aide for high school now.
I finished my first day of in-service training today.
I suppose I have two questions:
1. Does anyone have any general para advice?
2. Are the SPED co-teachers always obnoxious towards paras? I only met one today, and I just didn't get the impression that she liked her job too much.
Thanks!
Zaire is offline   Reply With Quote

galwaygirl172

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That certainly makes me feel better. I know that I experienced some garbage days as a sub because of other staff members. However, like you said, building relationships with others (who are nice and helpful) really makes things better. I met another para who is very sweet and just as nervous as I am.
Thanks again!
galwaygirl172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mandolinn

Mandolinn

First day jitters
Old 08-17-2016, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some teachers definitely get intimidated when their paras seem confident. Last year I was actually pulled from the EBD room because the teacher found me to be "too bossy". I worked in the ID room instead where the teacher loved that I could work independently and didn't need direction every 5 seconds. So it really is just a matter of personalities clashing sometimes!

In my experience, young teachers have a harder time dealing with paras than older ones do.

Stay positive, it's only the beginning of the year! Things can change a lot within the first month or 2 😄