Help

Paraprofessionals

Para He**

>

Para_az

Para He**
Old 09-22-2016, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So ive only been working as a para for a about 2 months and i feel like i just cant take it anymore today. I have 5-8 grades in one class. In that one class i have two students with ADHD, one with extreme anger issues, one with a kinder learning level. The rest of the kids in the class egg on the sped kids (especially the one with anger issues.) The one with anger issues as literally told me to F OFF at least 6 times today, thrown things at me, hit other students, cursed at other students, ect. He lives with his grandparents who will not get him outside help but get angry when we have to remove him from class. He was suspended yesterday but we can only suspend them 10 days a year. We can not remove him from the school. I cant handle this kid. He respects no one, listens to one, and is dangerous! PLEASE HELP ME! i have tried every technique to calm him. I have tried removing other students from the class and keeping him in, Ive tried to keep him out of bad situations that he is very obviously putting himself in to get attention but it always involves other students. I am running out of options. The IEP's he has to do not work.

Para_az is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Oh my!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, you need to RELAX about this situation, so that you can think clearly while you are there and so you can feel better when you are home. When there is an escalation in that student's behavior, do not let yourself to become emotionally a part of it. His behavior is not personal. There is a need that isn't being met somewhere - you are not to blame.

You have to try to understand his needs and triggers. Walk on egg shells if you have to. Do not challenge him if you know it will push him over the edge. If his behavior starts to escalate, try to calm him down. One thing that tends to work is to confirm you know he is upset - "I understand that you do not like Math. What can I do to help you right now?" The child has to choose good behavior, you can't make him. By acknowledging the problem, and offering help, you are sending the message that you're on his side. It may be that you will give him more attention to keep him happy, or it may be that the child actually does better if you back off. Play with it, see if you see a difference.

There is a process, and I would assume that this child is on the radar. Document everything. You may have to wait until after class, or while on a break, but find time to write down every occurrence. Maybe the teacher can work with you to come up with a data reporting sheet. Report everything. It's that documentation that will build a case showing this student needs help that can't be met in the classroom. They will either have to help him there or send him where he can get help.

It doesn't matter if the grandparents won't get this child an outside evaluation. If you feel you cannot handle this child, you need to have an upfront talk with the teacher first. The teacher may go through some things to try. Next, the teacher can go to the building coordinator for special ed or administration - whichever appropriate there. Where I was a para, once things reached that level, a school psychologist would begin to observe the student in class to determine if there is a problem. If so, that psychologist will make recommendations. It may be a behavior plan, or more extensive that will not involve you.

IEPs are meant to be updated. They can wait until the yearly date arrives, or they can change it right away if need be.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Para_az

Thank you so much!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was struggling to figure out how this whole job works since I didn't really have any training. We ended up removing him from the class and will be having a meeting with the sped administration tomorrow. I did think to document everything and sent an email to the administrator. Hopefully we can work something out for this kid, I would hate to see his education ruined over this. I am working with highschool students today but I had to bring him with me so I will see how today goes, I will be walking on eggsells like you said.
Para_az is offline   Reply With Quote