Paraprofessionals

Question

>

Betty89

Question
Old 04-07-2018, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
I am relatively new at being a para. Last year I was a teacher's assistant in kindergarten. I was wondering if there was any free resources to help me for next year?
Working at a small school and being a classroom para does have it's challenges. I float from classroom to classroom and I am not aware of what goals some the kiddos I am helping have set for that week or day.

Betty89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I say this as a SpEd teacher...
Old 04-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome! First off, You are worth your weight in gold! Don't ever forget that!

Your teachers, either from SpEd and the classroom, should do all they can to support you.

You should not need to research or make your own resources or make lesson plans! You do not get paid enough to do all that.

Those teachers should provide you with both an idea of the goals (general or specific) and/or specific assignments to support those goals.

If you simply want to do more and are not going to take my advice above, the best places to start are Pinterest and Teachers Pay Teachers.

With Pinterest, as you follow the pictures and links, it will lead you back to various sites and/or blogs that you may then sign up for or bookmark to follow for future projects.

And, most importantly, you can always pop back here for ideas. We love to help.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

tntworth

Old 04-13-2018, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you push in or pull out? If you push in the teacher should have everything you need. If you pull out I can give you some ideas. Let me know!
tntworth is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

from a former para...
Old 08-25-2018, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree that you should not have to do research at home, that the special ed teacher and classroom teacher should provide you with enough support to feel comfortable in your position. Sadly, for whatever reason, i.e. lack of time, inexperience, not knowing you have that need, etc., a para can feel a little alone and lost in their position at times. I googled "free paraprofessional resources", and a lot of nice resources came up. You may want to read those as you are starting the new school year. That might help you to know what questions to ask coworkers when you are working with your students. Keep in mind that all schools interpret special ed and inclusion a little differently, so the advice given in the articles can be a little different than how your school implements its procedures.

It sounds as though you would benefit from asking for more information about the goals your students are working towards. The school system I worked as a para with gave flash IEPs to each person working with particular students. It was a snapshot of their IEP. It was not a complete IEP, but it listed goals and accommodations, which is the most basic information you should have about your students. The special ed teacher should advise you when it is appropriate to use those accommodations and when it is appropriate to step back. You legally are bound to provide support outlined in the IEP, but you don't want to create learned helplessness either.

Its good that you are taking an interest in your students, and being able to work effectively with them. I believe it should be looked upon favorably when you ask for a better understanding of expectations for you working with your students.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote